It is great but it’s missing some of the most important features, one of which is the ease of use. I want openSUSE (and/or linux) to be used by more people than windows (I know, pipe dream). And one of the ways to get there is to make things like this super easy. Part of that is the easy install of the program and the ease of turning on/off loading of apps at boot, but also the ability for users to make useful descriptions of the programs, like wikipedia.
For example, the image you show says “modprobe” used 6.38% of the CPU. Well, that’s great but 99% of users are going to have no idea why modprobe’s running and whether it needs to be running or can be cancelled or delayed until after boot. But with a feature where the 1% of people who DO know can write that and commit it to a wiki that works with the program, the other 99% could now make informed decisions about whether they can quit that program.
Something like that would have to be supported by novell as it would need servers that could handle the update, storage/retrieval of that info (like repositories). I really think the crowd-sourcing could be a great thing for opensuse and making it more accepted among people who might not normally use opensuse.
> It is great but it’s missing some of the most important features, one
> of which is the ease of use. I want openSUSE (and/or linux) to be used
> by more people than windows (I know, pipe dream). And one of the ways to
> get there is to make things like this super easy.
Linux is already so easy that we have more and more people just barely
able to turn the machine on correctly…and, never figure out how to
find an answer rather than ask it, again.
this is mic , and i want to post thread about ask for 3g modem helps,but i dnot know where i can do that , also i need to know more about huawei modem. if here any one know more about this , pls info me , many thanks.
Your post may ask for something usefull, but please take note of the fact that the openSUSE mods on the Forums here are just that. They are users like you. They only volunterely took the extra task to monitor the Forums.
They are no developers of openSUSE and can not implement anything in it.
As has been pointed out, the forum staff are not the correct people to appeal to. What you would want to do is create a request at https://features.opensuse.org That is the correct way to get features added. Here in the forum, we’ll just discuss it to death.
Secondly, as was already pointed ot, we do have an app like that. You claim it is missing some of the most important features, then here is what you do, you go to the bootchartd web site and request the bootchartd developers to implement the features you’d like to see.
You pointed out the example of modprobe. That’s fine, but there are a lot of services in Windows that the average user won’t know whether or not to disable or not either. It is all about learning the system.
What I saw of Saluto compared to bootchart did not impress me. They both do basically the same thing.