Please help me understand what I did wrong (I killed my oST install)

Hi!

I need some help understanding what went wrong because I toasted my system tonight. I want to make it clear that I take full responsibility for what happened and in no way am I saying that this is the fault of oST/zypper/YasT, etc.

I’m new to oS though not to Linux. I’ve used it for years but am no advanced user. Most of my experience is with Debian/Ubuntu/Mint type distros. I’ve switched to oST and so far, I love it, though there are some issues that I’m having that I don’t yet understand.

I was trying to learn more about using zypper. I needed to uninstall a program/service because I was having trouble getting it to work and instead of installing via an rpm, I wanted to install via the official repository that they have. I read that to uninstall using zypper, I should use the command:

sudo zypper rm emby-service
(I read one can also interchange remove for the rm command)

I typed this, it said it was going to remove 114 files and I said, Y. Unfortunately, I’ve yet to figure out how to increase my font size which is really small on our 4K TV and I missed the fact that instead of just uninstalling emby-server, it also removed all of KDE, all of the KDE apps (Dolphin, etc that comes with KDE), and some other things, too. Wayyyy too many to even know everything that’s gone. Obviously, I’m reinstalling from scratch tomorrow but I want to understand why this command went wrong because I can’t see what did it. It seems like it should have worked properly and I don’t want to be scared to try basic command in the future for fear of something similar happening.

Could anyone please help me understand why this happened, what I did wrong, etc? Was my syntax incorrect? Something else? Emby is just a media app and nothing to do with KDE or any other DE/WM so it shouldn’t have been a KDE dependency. In fact, I’ve only run it on Cinnamon thus far. Thanks so much in advance!

Simply uninstalling this package would not have uninstalled KDE - unless the package in question has broken spec file (think of it as a recipe on how to install/uninstall package).

It’s hard to say without knowing where you installed this package from.

There is no such package in Tumbleweed.

Could anyone please help me understand why this happened

Upload /var/log/zypp/history to https://susepaste.org, it may provide some hints.

Newbies are well advised to use “zypper rm --dry-run” on the first try and thinking twice before rerunning this command without this parameter.

And as a by-product: you can see that the zypper command rm is short for remove in the man page:

man zypper

Also, you story i snot 100% clear to me, but when you installed something using rpm, you should remove it with rmp.
Always use the same way for those symmetrical cases.

It wasn’t a package that came with Tumbleweed, it’s one that I installed myself then subsequently needed to uninstall.

OK, this was really helpful. What would the syntax have been for removing via rpm since I installed via an rpm?

You want me to read the rpm man page and interprete it for you?

You better read it youself. People (including me) here are willing to help you when you have problems after you tried to understand a man page or other documentation, but your’s is the first step.

The RPM command should have accessed the libzypp backend, so that by itself should not have been the problem.
My speculation is that the emby installation required numerous KDE dependencies to integrate deeply with your chosen Desktop… And when you removed emby iyou were correctly asked whether to remove those KDE related pieces as well.

Essentially, I’m guessing you broke your KDE Desktop (not your underlying openSUSE system), so technically speaking I’m again guessing that you can simply re-install the KDE pattern to restore your Desktop functionality.

If it’s any consolation, my recommendation to avoid this type of problem in the future is to run your emby in a virtual machine which can be Virtualbox, VMware, KVM, Xen or numerous options (all that I listed have free versions which would work). When you install in a virtual machine, you can remove by simply deleting the virtual machine files. More technical people can consider solutions like docker, and those who don’t mind enormous file waste might consider a Universal Installer like Flatpak, Snap or AppImage when available.

The underlying idea of all the above solutions is that instead of installing an app so it’s deeply entwined with your system, it’s installed so it sits in its own bubble on top of your machine so that removal doesn’t involve undoing deep modifications to your machine.

BTW… Generally Tumbleweed is often abbreviated TW, not oST…

TSU