please help boot loader problem :(

im sorry. actually i dont know my way around opensuse. i tried your suggestion too. it returned a (fd0)error… can you please tell me what to type in the terminal to get all the info you need?

OK you managed to edit it once this the easiest as you’ve done it go back to menu.lst.

I’ve actually changed my mind I think you need 1,0
so in menu.lst change…

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: windows###
title Windows
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
chainloader (hd1,0)+1 

If not that one try 0,0 (Though I’m bowing to Caf’s knowledge here I’ve never seen the hd after chainloader)

:’(:’(:’( i wish i never tried to repair the opensuse partition without coming here 1st

thank you i’ll try both and get back. thanks again

Try this

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: windows###
title Windows
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
chainloader +1
makeactive

This is how I remember it any way, but you seem to have multiple partitions yet you imply you only have 2 OS Windows(I suspect you mean wubi install of Ubuntu) and Suse. That then leaves what are all those other partitions if you have another windows OS on there it may need a disk hiding to. As here GRUB Manual - Booting

this worked perfectly. although i seemed to have lost the windows failsafe option. it doesnt matter now. at least i got in windows. thank you all for your help.

i have another question. the main opensuse link (not the failsafe) doesnt show the graphical interface. it goes into terminal mode after loading… the last command i see in the list is ‘skipped runlevel 5’… what could be the problem? i suddenly realized i should work on learning opensuse sinse ive installed it anyway… lol and the kde interface rock plus all the useful ‘free’ software

other partitions are for:) music, live concerts, ebooks, guitar tutorial videos, and installed sofware :slight_smile:

Ok cool glad you’re sorted…

As for why it isn’t booting, but is in failsafe well that really would suggest a misconfiguration of xorg or graphics driver problem, though it could be something else like a hdd going walk about.

First thing I would do is try a startx after logging in as user at the terminal. This will be verbose if for some reason it can’t start.

The other thing would be to look at the log at…

egrep "Failed|Skipped" /var/log/boot.msg > Bootmsg.txt

you’ll have to then start failsafe and put the output of that up.

If it is a misconfiguration of xorg then have you tried to install a graphics driver or done so in the past using the manual way (I’m thinking not)