Please help a foolish noob install opensuse!

I downloaded the KDE 4.1 Live CD for OpenSUSE 11.0 via bittorrent. I checked the md5, looks good. Booted from the disk and I see 5 options. The Hard Disk one went straight to my Windoes desktop, the mem check displayed a bunch of statistics I didn’t understand and the mediacheck ran properly. When I hit the OpenSUSE 11.0 option, it hangs at the “creating X profile” or something like that. Failsafe-OpenSUSE 11.0 hung at the creating powersaved. Please Help! I am not clueless with computers, just clueless with linux. :’(

And if I reboot and try again, it hangs on the starting Mail service (postfix)

Check the stickies at the top of the forum lists, like this:

NEWBIES - Suse-11.0 Pre-installation – PLEASE READ - openSUSE Forums

Pay special attention to the boot options. I suspect that options like acpi=off, etc., may help you.

For more help you should give more detailed info on your harware configuration, BIOS, things like that.

Thank you for the quick response. I read that faq before doing anything. I burned my disk at 1x. No luck. Most of the stuff only applies after you install it. I have 2 partitions on my hard drive, one which is 50GB for OpenSUSE and a little over 400GB for WinXP. I messed around with the boot options settings to no avail. I am running a custom computer that has a 3 GHz Pentium 4 processor, 1GB Ram and a 128mb NVidea Geforce 6200A (AGP card). Please help! :slight_smile:

Try typing

vesa

in the boot line