Please give me some advice

Hi, Everyone.
I have install openSuse11.1 on a vaio laptop which has a celeron cpu, 1GB of Ram, and a radeon graphic card.
Is it worth of enabling graphic acceleration?
If I enable it, is that make the laptop slow?
Should I install xfce desktop?

Please gives me some advice.
Many thanks in advance.

Last one thing, I have been using opensuse for few months, it is great OS!!!

IMO you don’t seem to off missed it so perhaps not.

You seem to have 3 ways of tackling this I wouldn’t be surprised if you don’t have some kind of acceleration. I can never remember which one it is iirc you have 2 OSS ones. 1 more developed than the other but with less features the other less developed but more features.

So I think wiki page may have the answers.
ATI - openSUSE

Before using the drivers below, try running your 3D application using the default open source drivers: radeon (for older cards) and radeonhd (for newer cards)

As for xfce that will be your choice, all de’s have pro’s and con’s it’s just finding the balance you like.

if your graphics card is supported by the standard X.org radeon driver, then yes (you can see which ATI GPUs are supported by reading the man page of the radeon driver: man radeon). Though the standard radeon driver only supports 2D for most newer ATI cards. If it’s not, then you may need to install the proprietary ATI driver, which honestly, may give you (a lot) of frustrations and cursing :stuck_out_tongue:

As for which desktop environment to use, it’s your choice. If you want try them all out and decide which is better for you and faster on your laptop

Thanks for posts.
I mentioned about xfce, because I have been using ubuntu, so default desktop manager is gnome, and it was very slow on my old vaio laptop.
When I tried Opensuse, it was really much much faster than ubuntu. So I hoped that xfce might makes my pc bit more faster.
I will try to enable 3d stuff. If that made my pc slow, then I will reinstall Opensuse.

Many thanks

@MC down I said down hehe

You should see a considerable increase in performance over the fat DE’s. We wont get MC started on gnome.

As for re-installing it really shouldn’t be necessary if you back up your xorg whilst it is working. Then re-instate after should you need to, worse case scenario you’ll have an extra kernel module that you won’t be using.

Just do something like a cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.working and reverse it should you need to.

Thanks for your advice FeatherMonkey.