Plasma 5 screen lock will not initiate automatically

>:( I don’t know if it ever worked. I can lock the screen with Ctrl+Alt+L, but when machine is idle for 4 minutes, it won’t lock. I have Screen Lock Settings in KDE Desktop Settings enabled as well as the suspend setting in Power Saver is set to Lock Screen. I reinstalled KDESCREENLOCK. No effect. What can I do?

Well, the automatic screen locking definitely works, in general at least. :wink:

I have Screen Lock Settings in KDE Desktop Settings enabled as well as the suspend setting in Power Saver is set to Lock Screen. I reinstalled KDESCREENLOCK. No effect. What can I do?

Make sure that you use systemsettings5 (i.e. try to explicitly run that from a Konsole or the Alt+F2 dialog), configuring this in KDE4’s systemsettings will have no effect.

And what “suspend setting in Power Saver” are you referring too exactly?
Do you mean you activated the second one there, “Suspend Session”, and set it to “Lock screen”?
Does it work if you disable that?

Not sure your statement can be of any help :wink:
I can confirm that automatic screen locking definitely DOES NOT work in openSUSE 42.1 (for me at least AND for the OP). I did use systemsettings5 to set the screen to lock after a few minutes, but I can leave the computer for hours and it would never locks.

I am aware that this particular statement probably won’t help.
But it is true and a fact.

Does manual locking work for you? (e.g. Ctrl+Alt+L)

What repositories are you using?
The problem sounds a bit like 977080 – qdbus org.kde.ksmserver /ScreenSaver Lock not work, doing a full switch to KDE:Qt5 apparently helped. A mixture of Qt5 packages can cause this apparently.
That’s only necessary (or possible) if you use the latest packages from KDE:Frameworks5.
Though the reporter at least got the emergency locker, a black screen that tells you that the screenlocker’s greeter is broken and how to unlock your session in text mode.

Other than that, I can only suggest to run “/usr/lib64/libexec/kscreenlocker_greet” in a konsole and see if there’s any error.

PS: Also, applications can inhibit the screen locker, and especially mediaplayers do so in general.
So create a fresh user account, login without running any program, and see whether the screen locks after 5 minutes (the default).