"Pithos, Client for Pandora Radio?"

I’ve diddled with Pandora internet radio for several years, enough tweaks to float the Nimitz, now it only throws the occasional toad at you. The browser based flash client is a real CPU hog, gives the illusion of windows 7 on a 486-DX / 256 meg, makes you feel like your computer has ripped a hole in the space-time continuum and you’re going backwards. (although Windows has always made me feel this way 'til I submitted my bill and said “Thank You”)

Enter “Pithos”, a reputed stand alone Pandora client for Linux, anybody played with this yet? A very knowedgeable aquantence from Denmark once advised me “Don’t fix it if it ain’t broke”, wise words from one who knows, so before I “fix it” thought I’d check the water… Info on “Pithos” if your curious.

Pithos — A Native Pandora.com Client for Linux

Any note on how to install this program in openSUSE? I use this a lot and it’s the only debian package I’m missing… :’(

I think that currently it won’t run on OpenSUSE but you can still try. I converted the .deb package via alien and installed the .rpm but what ends up happening is that the program opens but then quickly runs into errors because of this error.

ERROR:root:Gstreamer error: Your GStreamer installation is missing a plug-in., gstdecodebin2.c(3576): gst_decode_bin_expose (): /GstPlayBin2:player/GstURIDecodeBin:uridecodebin0/GstDecodeBin2:decodebin20:

So, then upon further research I found that someone else had tried to package this back in 11.3 but apparently never got it packaged. That’s here. Re: [opensuse-packaging] Help finding the right plugin

I also found another .rpm that is listed here.

software.opensuse.org: Search Results

But that is an older version that doesn’t work with the current api from Pandora. Sorry, but unless you compile gstreamer and pithos from source, I think we’re out of luck.

Hi
Try this;
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/malcolmlewis:/Gnome/openSUSE_12.1/
Currently building here;
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show?package=pithos&project=home%3Amalcolmlewis%3AGnome

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 3.0.13-0.27-default
up 2:01, 2 users, load average: 0.15, 0.10, 0.12
CPU Intel i5 CPU M520@2.40GHz | Intel Arrandale GPU

I really appreciate the support. I’m sorry I didn’t get back to you yesterday. What’s the procedure I should go through with these two links? I see the repo. I see the build… sorry I’m a little new to openSUSE style builds and install. Instructions please :slight_smile:

Ok… I opened pithos.spec and saw the following:

BuildRequires:  fdupes
BuildRequires:  intltool
BuildRequires:  python-devel
BuildRequires:  python-distutils-extra
BuildRequires:  update-desktop-files
Requires:       dbus-1-python
Requires:       gstreamer-0_10-plugins-bad
Requires:       gstreamer-0_10-plugins-good
Requires:       python-gstreamer-0_10
Requires:       python-gobject2
Requires:       python-gtk
Requires:       python-notify
Requires:       python-xdg

---

%prep
%setup -q
%build
python setup.py build

%install
python setup.py install -O1 --skip-build --prefix=%{_prefix} --root=%{buildroot}
mkdir %{buildroot}%{_datadir}/pixmaps/
install -m 0644 data/icons/scalable/apps/%{name}.svg %{buildroot}%{_datadir}/pixmaps/
cp pithos.desktop.in pithos.desktop
%suse_update_desktop_file -i -r %{name} GNOME AudioVideo Player
%fdupes %{buildroot}

So I installed/updated the required files via “sudo zypper in…”, so now I have all the dependencies. Now what?

Sorry I’m a dumb dumb… ignore the last two posts. I’m also sorry for triple posting. If a moderator would like to delete them please do… :shame:

I right-clicked the pithos*noarch.rpm file from the site and YaST2 told me it installed correctly. I then restarted my system and found Pithos in the applications. Clicked to start it and received the bouncing Pithos logo by my cursor like it was loading for a very long time… then nothing.

I’m running openSUSE 12.1 64bit. I did download and install the x86_64 version. Any other information you need?

Hi
If you can open a terminal and run from the command line and see what
the error is.

up 13:57, 2 users, load average: 0.00, 0.03, 0.05

Hi, I ran it from the command line and it generated this error.

pithos** Message: pygobject_register_sinkfunc is deprecated (GstObject)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/pithos", line 811, in <module>
    window = NewPithosWindow(options)
  File "/usr/bin/pithos", line 781, in NewPithosWindow
    ui_filename = os.path.join(getdatapath(), 'ui', 'PithosWindow.ui')
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pithos/pithosconfig.py", line 63, in getdatapath
    raise project_path_not_found
pithos.pithosconfig.project_path_not_found

Currently running openSUSE 12.1 64 bit. I also set the python path variable but that did not help.

export PYTHONPATH="/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/:$PYTHONPATH"

@CFN7 what browser / version are you currently using? It looks as though Pandora has gone to an HTML5 interface? I went to the site and noticed that Firefox uses about 3 percent CPU usage on a 2.0 GHZ dual core amd 4800+ ; so your CPU, if your bio is still accurate, should maintain about 6 - 12 percent if it is using HTML5.

I opened a terminal and typed “pithos” and it came back

Segmentation fault

Am I doing it wrong?

No, you executed the command correctly.

Hi
Adding raise project_path_not_found(abs_data_path) shows it’s looking
for /usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/data investigating some more…

up 12:41, 2 users, load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.05

Ok, sounds good, thanks for looking into this.

Any word on this guys? Any way I could help? I’m sorry I don’t know much about openSUSE RPM’s but I’ll do what I’m told. I really want/need pithos for openSUSE. Still loving the stable work environment it’s giving me and YES openSUSE has a great KDM experience!

I emailed Kevin Mehall for an rpm solution but I haven’t heard back from him. Looking forward to developments on this…

Hi
Hopefully get to look again tomorrow at it, something is up with the
building on non debian systems as far as I can tell at the moment…

up 2 days 2:44, 2 users, load average: 0.15, 0.06, 0.06

Alright, just let me know how I could help if need be.

Hi
All fixed and working now :wink: a new build should be up on OBS
soon, version pithos-0.3.14+bzr20120504 (you will need to force the
install! need to fix the versioning).

up 20:44, 4 users, load average: 0.00, 0.04, 0.05

I just may check it out!

I use it a lot on my Ubuntu (10.04) desktop which I am looking at switching to openSUSE soon.

Hi
Please do test, if it looks popular I will push to GNOME:Apps.

up 21:27, 3 users, load average: 0.06, 0.03, 0.05