ping working but addresses not resolved

Hi, I had a strange issue which I managed to solve, but it’s quite peculiar so I’d like to describe it here, it might be useful for someone else as I didn’t find any useful advice with google.

I did a fresh install of openSUSE 11.1 because my filesystem got critically nuked while I was resizing partitions.

Now the problem : I could ping any server but no program could resolve addresses, ie. apps reacted as if the pc were offline. However,
>host address.com
would work and print out IP’s, so I could browse the web by resolving adresses manually.
I was like wtf??? because this pc has been running opensuse 11.0 and 11.1(upgrade from 11.0) and I’ve never seen anything similar before.

I managed to do an online update, which solved the issue.

Now here’s the trick :
I resolved download.opensuse.org with
>host download.opensuse.org
and replaced “download.opensuse.org” by its IP address in my repositories’ configuration. The yast updater was then able to get files from the server.

Ok so that was the maybe useful part, now my question :
What caused this? Bad driver?

Hi, just wondering how do you access internet. If you have ADSL or DSL, but your pc isn’t connected directly to a modem, but to a router that lies between modem and pc, you possibly haven’t set network connections right in yast. What I want to say is that maybe domain name servers are missing if you are not using DHCP.

I’m behind a router and using dhcp. I’m quite sure it was a driver-hardware problem now, because I’ve installed opensuse on another pc in the same local network in the meantime, and it could resolve addresses out of the box.
I just don’t understand why i didn’t have the same problem on this pc before. The reason might be that I first installed opensuse 11.0 and upgraded to 11.1, now i have directly installed 11.1, this has maybe resulted in slightly different software being installed.

While I can not explain what is the origin of your problems, I can not see in any way how driver / hardware can have anything to do with it. DNS resolving is just TCP/IP traffic as everything else. So we better concentrate on other origins of what you expirience.

On Tue July 28 2009 02:36 pm, vort3x1337 wrote:

>
> I’m behind a router and using dhcp. I’m quite sure it was a
> driver-hardware problem now, because I’ve installed opensuse on another
> pc in the same local network in the meantime, and it could resolve
> addresses out of the box.
> I just don’t understand why i didn’t have the same problem on this pc
> before. The reason might be that I first installed opensuse 11.0 and
> upgraded to 11.1, now i have directly installed 11.1, this has maybe
> resulted in slightly different software being installed.
>
>
virt3x1337;

If you have not done so already, disable IPv6.
See:
http://forums.opensuse.org/how-faq-read-only/unreviewed-how-faq/412555-disable-ipv6.html

P. V.
“We’re all in this together, I’m pulling for you.” Red Green

Hi, thanks for the answers,
IPv6 is enabled now but I don’t have this problem anymore so IPv6 seems not to be its cause. Anyway it’s not so important because everything is working fine now, I was just wondering what caused this in case I have similar issues on some other machine :slight_smile: