I have a Suse 11.2 machine named “susepc” on a network with some other windows machines. From the Suse 11.2 machine, I try
where winpc is the name of a windows machine on the LAN but the name resolves to an odd ip address:
PING winpc.HOMENET (18.104.22.168)
The “HOMENET” is the correct name of the windows workgroup, but the ip address is completely wrong. My LAN is based on 10.20.x.x and the winpc ip address should be 10.20.0.100. I can “ping 10.20.0.100” and it works correctly.
- DHCP server is on the router
- pinging from winpc to susepc works perfectly (“ping susepc” resolves to the correct IP address 10.20.0.101 and the pings respond)
- “net view” on winpc lists the susepc
- SAMBA is installed on susepc
- the Netbios name is set to susepc
- I have a shared folder on susepc that I can see, create files in, etc. on winpc with no problems.
- IPV6 is disabled on susepc
- I have tried setting up susepc as a WINS server (Wins Support)
- I have tried setting up susepc as a Local Network Browser
Not sure what else to try. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance,