PCMCIA SD card reader problem.

I just purchased a pcmcia SD card reader for my Thinkpad, mainly because, as it the only pcmcia card I use, it can stay in, rather that the USB dongle I used to use which I invariably mislaid at crucial times.
Anyway, when I insert the pcmcia card it is recognized, I can insert an SD card and it is mounted and I can copy to and from it. When I go to remove the SD card, I can unmount the card but when I physically remove the card the laptop locks up completely, only a hard boot will recover it.
Any ideas?

I’m just going to shove this up the list a little as this problem is quite annoying and I have no idea how to solve it. Any ideas gratefully accepted.

Open a terminal and type the following command before removing the card:

su
tail -f /var/log/messages

This way, you can see that if any messages get displayed while removing the card.

By the by, certain cheap PCMCIA cards are notorious for causing this sort of problems in both Linux as well as MacOS.

Thanks for the reply, I think you are correct that it is ‘certain cheap PCMCIA cards are notorious for causing this sort of problems in both Linux as well as MacOS’, I wasn’t aware of the problem. I did the
tail -f /var/log/messages and all seemed fine, until the actual removal, when I was informed the SD card had been removed, then it locked up. Ah well, at least it was cheap, back to the dongle.