PCI slots

I have a problem that’s been plaguing me for about a month now. I’ve attempted to install three PCI cards (two ethernet, one wireless), with absolutely no success. When the hardware is slotted in, and I launch YaST to look for Network Card configurations, I get nothing. It’s not even saying “there’s hardware here, but it’s unidentified”… it’s completely blank.

I’m convinced that this is not a driver issue, since the research I’ve done seems to indicate that the drivers are in fact present in my system – though I’m open to having my mind changed about this. The hardware items are:

Encore Electronics 10/100M Fast Ethernet Network Adapter
ENL832-TX-EN

D-Link 10/100M Fast Ethernet Network Adapter
DFE-530TX+

Dynex Wireless G Desktop Card
DX-BGDTC

The D-Link is listed as compatible, and while the other two are not, I’ve found references online suggesting that drivers are easily available.

What I think is going on is that, for whatever reason, my computer (OS, kernel, hardware, BIOS, whatever) is not reading the PCI slots of my motherboard properly, or at all. I’ve invoked “hwinfo” and “lspci”, and come up empty.

Are there other hardware diagnostice tools that I can use? When reading the output from the commands above, how do I determine which are the actual PCI slots, and how do I determine that they are functioning properly whether they have hardware installed there or not? What BIOS settings should I attempt to change?

My motherboard is an ASUS A7N8X, and the only BIOS setting I’m familiar with that has any direct bearing on network cards is the one which toggles the on-board ethernet port, which in my case, no longer functions properly, hence my attempt to install a replacment.

Thanks in advance!

W4E

Wildcat4Ever schrieb:

> Are there other hardware diagnostice tools that I can use? When
> reading the output from the commands above, how do I determine which
> are the actual PCI slots, and how do I determine that they are
> functioning properly whether they have hardware installed there or not?
> What BIOS settings should I attempt to change?

Default settings.

In /proc/bus/pci is also something, but i guess thats what lspci is using.

> My motherboard is an ASUS A7N8X, and the only BIOS setting I’m familiar
> with that has any direct bearing on network cards is the one which
> toggles the on-board ethernet port, which in my case, no longer
> functions properly, hence my attempt to install a replacment.

You can look at /var/log/boot.msg or messages if there is something
wrong with the irqs or other stuff. Often there is also a bootparameter
mentioned to fix it. The messages should be at the beginning, before the
init scripts start.

I appreciate your reply, and I’ve looked at the things you’ve suggested. I’m afraid I haven’t gotten very far, but I’ll keep digging.

Thanks!

W4E