Pausing Amarok with phonon-backend-vlc kills sound

Has anyone else seen this when using phonon-backend-vlc with Amarok?

Play a song in Amarok and then press the space bar to pause. Press the space bar again to resume and Amarok starts playing again with the status bar moving and the timer counting down, but no sound. If I move to the next song, sound starts working again. Or if I double click on a different song, sound works.

If I use the xine backend, the problem goes away.

I’m using Amarok-2.4 and KDE 4.6.1.

I’ve discovered that the problem is with VLC. When playing audio or video files, pausing the player and then un-pausing kills the sound. Is anyone else having this problem?

I was going to report a bug, but I didn’t see any problems like this posted on the VLC forums. I’d appreciate some feedback to see if I’m the only one having this problem.

Yep,

can confirm the same pause behaviour when using ALSA audio output. If audio in VLC is changed to Simple Direct Media Layer and restart VLC the problem is not seen.
Alternatively you can install vlc-aout-pulse which also gets around the issue.

I couldn’t figure out how to change audio to Simple Direct Media Layer so I installed vlc-aout-pulse and that fixed it.

Thanks for the tip.

Same here, strange that change the backend to Gstream or Xine it remains mute on both VLC & Amarok!

I reinstalled VLC from VLC repostory, now it is playing smooth no more problems, and the latest updates from amarok resolved all my issues with it…!
T

Thanks openSUSE Team!

I have the same problem with VLC but installing vlc-aout-pulse didn’t help.