Patchy media transmission over a Samba network

Will this also work on opensuse 12.2?
I use samba to share movies and music with my mediaplayer.
When watching a movie the upload from my pc to the mediaplayer just stops for about 10 seconds and then resumes again.
I checked this on the pc to make sure it is not some misconfiguration on the mediaserver.
I can see with kde system monitor the the upload just stops for some reason.
And i don’t know why or where too look to diagnose the problem.
Dumping systemd seems like a last resort to me because 12.2 is working really well, but is there is no other way i will.
Or go back tot 12.1

Samba works great on openSUSE 12.2 and I have had really good results switching to kernel 3.5.4 over the default. You still did not show us your smb.conf file as suggested in a previous message here or what advice we have given that you have taken. For a kernel update, have a look here:

S.A.K.C. - SUSE Automated Kernel Compiler - Version 2.78 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

S.A.K.R. - SUSE Automated Kernel Remover - Version 1.0.2 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

S.G.T.B. - SuSE Git Kernel Tarball Creator - Version 1.81 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

Thank You,

Don’t dump systemd, that’s not what I was advising at all. If you dump systemd you’ll be in big problems.

Yes, systemd and Samba work just fine together. I must say that I am seeing some sort of problem with the next kernel 3.6 with Samba or the SuSE Firewall so stay away from it if you are using Samba for now.

Thank You,

That was my first post in this thread. I think you are confusing me with somebody else :slight_smile:
I’ll try to post my smb.conf.
If i understood the forum ‘rules’ correctly i cannot do that in a reply but only in a new post?
I’m new here :slight_smile:

I gues i don’t understand this systemd/systemv stuff :
And i wasn’t planning on dumping systemd just like that.
The problem buckmaster60](http://forums.opensuse.org/members/buckmaster60.html) had seemd simular to my problem that’s why i thought your advice could help me.
From what i understand systemd i just a way to start and stop services and not interfere with the function that service provides.
I mean, how could systemd cause file corruption and input/output errors?
Something else must be going on.
My problem is that for some reason the upload from my pc to the mediaplayer just stops every now and then for about 10 seconds.
I figured that ‘maybe’ systemd figured that the samba service isn’t used or needed and stops it and then my mediaplayer sents a request for more data and systemd starts it again.
This is just a gues based on nothing because i have no idea where to look to diagnose this behaviour.
But i’ll start with posting my smb.conf as Jdmcdaniel3 requested :slight_smile:

So here’s my smb.conf:

# smb.conf is the main Samba configuration file. You find a full commented
# version at /usr/share/doc/packages/samba/examples/smb.conf.SUSE if the
# samba-doc package is installed.
# Date: 2012-08-08
[global]
    workgroup = WORKGROUP
    passdb backend = tdbsam
    printing = cups
    printcap name = cups
    printcap cache time = 750
    cups options = raw
    map to guest = Bad User
    include = /etc/samba/dhcp.conf
    logon path = \\%L\profiles\.msprofile
    logon home = \\%L\%U\.9xprofile
    logon drive = P:
    usershare allow guests = Yes
    add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd  -c Machine -d /var/lib/nobody -s /bin/false %m$
    domain logons = Yes
    domain master = Yes
    local master = Yes
    os level = 65
    preferred master = Yes
    security = user
    usershare max shares = 100
    wins support = Yes
[homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    valid users = %S, %D%w%S
    browseable = No
    read only = No
    inherit acls = Yes
[profiles]
    comment = Network Profiles Service
    path = %H
    read only = No
    store dos attributes = Yes
    create mask = 0600
    directory mask = 0700
[users]
    comment = All users
    path = /home
    read only = No
    inherit acls = Yes
    veto files = /aquota.user/groups/shares/
[groups]
    comment = All groups
    path = /home/groups
    read only = No
    inherit acls = Yes
[printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /var/tmp
    printable = Yes
    create mask = 0600
    browseable = No
[print$]
    comment = Printer Drivers
    path = /var/lib/samba/drivers
    write list = @ntadmin root
    force group = ntadmin
    create mask = 0664
    directory mask = 0775

[netlogon]
    comment = Network Logon Service
    path = /var/lib/samba/netlogon
    write list = root

So you have a Windows Domain Controller setup in your house just to to do simple file sharing?

domain logons = Yes 
domain master = Yes

Thank You,

[QUOTE=jdmcdaniel3;2489440]So you have a Windows Domain Controller setup in your house just to to do simple file sharing?

I don’t even know what that is, i just went with the defaults.
But from your response it seems i don’t need it so i disabled it.

Have a look at this smb.conf file example:

# smb.conf is the main Samba configuration file. 
# You find a full commented version at 
# /usr/share/doc/packages/samba/examples/smb.conf.SUSE 
# if the samba-doc package is installed.
# Samba config file created using SWAT 
# from MY-PC (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 9-22-12

[global]
  workgroup = WORKGROUP
  netbios name = MY-PC
  passdb backend = tdbsam
  name resolve order = bcast host lmhosts wins
  server string = ""
  printing = cups
  printcap name = cups
  printcap cache time = 750
  cups options = raw
  use client driver = yes
  map to guest = Bad User
  local master = yes
  os level = 33
  usershare allow guests = Yes
  usershare max shares = 100
  usershare owner only = False

[homes]
  comment = Home Directories
  valid users = %S, %D%w%S
  browseable = No
  read only = No
  inherit acls = Yes

[printers]
  comment = All Printers
  path = /var/tmp
  printable = Yes
  create mask = 0700
  browseable = No
  guest OK = Yes

[print$]
  comment = Printer Drivers
  path = /var/lib/samba/drivers
  write list = @ntadmin root
  force group = ntadmin
  create mask = 0664
  directory mask = 0775

Above is a typical smb.conf file. Your shares can/should/could be different, but the global can be used by changing the workgroup and PC names. If you remark # out the line that says “netbios name = MY-PC”, you will then use the same PC name as setup by openSUSE during its installation or what ever it is now if you have changed it. This example was taken from my make-swat bash script and the example was kindly provided by swerdna.

Thank You,

I compared your smb.conf with mine that was created by the yast samba module, and what stands out is that my smb.conf has a lot more in it then yours.
All the stuff that isn’t in your smb.conf is not needed for file sharing?
And off course doesn’t affect security?

There also a few lines that isn’t in my smb.conf.
Like in the global section “os level = 33” and in the printers section “create mask = 0700” where in my smb.conf it reads “create mask = 0600”
Do i need to add/change that?
The shares seems the same, with your smb.conf i allow myself as a user to share folders like i do now.
So your smb.conf is sufficient for what i need, and i can simply copy your smb.conf over mine without the line “netbios name = MY-PC” ?

That is correct. Now in my personnel conf, I have added shares like this:

[Windows]
    path = /Windows
    read only = No
    acl check permissions = No
    inherit acls = Yes
    guest ok = Yes
    profile acls = Yes
    use sendfile = Yes

This is an NTFS partition, it has the single fstab option called “defaults”, which allows any user to read/write to it. For anything you share, you must consider if it will require a password or not and if not, the permissions must be set correctly for the folder and its contents. To make an easy edit of your smb.conf file, have a look at this:

SYSEdit - System File Editor - Version 1.00 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

For File and Folder permissions, have a look at this:

S.A.F.P. - SUSE Automated File Permissions - Version 1.0.4 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

Thank You,

Thank you Jdmcdaniel3 for explaining some samba to me.
However the problem persist.
I still have upload dropout every now and then.
I had a tp-link tg-3468 (RTL8111/8168B) pci-e network card installed while i used windows for a few months.
Before that i used the onboard network card.
The onboard caused the network to stop sometimes in windows and with opensuse i had problems with it waking up after suspend.
The tp-link works like a charm (just not with samba), but i’ll try the onboard on more time to see if that resolves the problem.

Let me say that 1st, I have had network cards that worked with Windows and not openSUSE but I have not had one that worked with openSUSE that did not also work with Windows, after loading the right driver. 2nd, If Windows is too new and the network card very old, support may no longer exist in Windows for your network hardware. 3rd, In general, if the network card works enough so that Firefox works, I have not had an issue with Samba. 4th, Finally, there does seem to be an update for the openSUSE 12.2 Firewall, that came after the first updates, which might effect Samba and so you would want to make sure openSUSE is fully up-to-date using YaST to make sure that this is not the problem.

Thank You,

My system is always up to date with security patches.
I haven’t tried my onboard card yet, but i did installed ubuntu 12.04 on a usb stick and made the same share i did with opensuse.
And it worked perfectly.
Rebooted back to opensuse turned the firewall off and again network dropouts.
I’m going nuts!
Where do i look for this problem?
Driver, kernel, samba, network settings?
After 12.2 installed networkmanager wasn’t enabled since i have no wireless, but i had netwokmanager setup anyway just to see if it would make a difference.
It didn’t :s
I really like opensuse 12.2 and do not want to change to ubuntu/kubuntu.
I used SuSE/opensuse whatever for allmost 10 years, but i’m tired of fideling with my system.
With every release something gets better and another thing breaks :s
12.2 is rocksolid, fast and looks good and i don’t want to lose it.
So where do i go from here? (getting kind of desperate)
Maybe it has something to do with that sysvinit-init systemd-sysvinit stuff at the beginning of this thread.
I thought that was about ditching systemd but it wasn’t according to Swerdna.
So can i swap systemd-sysvinit for sysvinit-init safely on opensuse 12.2?
Just to see if it makes a difference?

One thing more that I do is to load kernel 3.5.4 which is where the default network drivers are contained. It could not hurt to install this kernel version just to see what difference it makes. You do need a network connection able to download the kernel source code file.

S.A.K.C. - SUSE Automated Kernel Compiler - Version 2.78 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

For what it is worth, using kernel 3.5.4 seems to cause the entire system to load up much faster than the default 3.4 kernel does. However, at present I have no reason to think a newer kernel will in fact fix your networking problem, but its only a little time to waste and see.

Thank You,

Ubuntu 12.04 that i tried uses an older kernel than opensuse 12.2 so it’s unlikely that a newer kernel is needed.
I just backed up all my data and i’m going to swap systemd-sysvinit for sysvinit-init.
Eventhough i have no idea what that does, to hell with it :slight_smile:

I don’t think that will help. But I’m watching with interest. After the experiment, and your report, I will make some suggestions.

I decided to try kubuntu in a virtual machine first.
It just doesn’t have the quality opensuse does.
With some effort i could make it look and feel the same offcourse, after all, linux is linux and kde is kde :slight_smile:
I’ll try swapping systemd-sysvinit for sysvinit-init tomorrow or the day after.
Long day tomorrow.
I’ll be gone for work from 7 am to 10 pm.
But i will post the result here, eventhough i don’t realy know what i’m doing and you think it most likely doesn’t help and i don’t like to mess around with core system stuff :slight_smile:
What could go wrong! :wink:

Well that didn’t work, as expected :slight_smile:
Id did seem to bring some functionality back to yast, i could start and stop the firewall again from within yast, but the fancy bootsplash was gone.

Anyway, it made no difference for me with samba.
I tried all this on a fresh install on a seperate partition because i didn’t want to mess up my main system after all :slight_smile:

I like the easy of use with samba, but if i can’t get this working i might look at setting up an nfs server.
That would be a good test too.