partitions are not being auto mounted on start up

i am using gnome and kde for this case i am using kde.my output was

/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST9320423AS_5VJ657SA-part8 swap                 swap       defaults              0 0
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST9320423AS_5VJ657SA-part10 /                    ext4       acl,user_xattr        1 1
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST9320423AS_5VJ657SA-part11 /home                ext4       acl,user_xattr        1 2
proc                 /proc                proc       defaults              0 0
sysfs                /sys                 sysfs      noauto                0 0
debugfs              /sys/kernel/debug    debugfs    noauto                0 0
usbfs                /proc/bus/usb        usbfs      noauto                0 0
devpts               /dev/pts             devpts     mode=0620,gid=5       0 0
~                                                                               
~                                                                               
~                                                                               
~                                                                               
~                                                                               
~                                                                               
~                                                                               
~                                                                               
~                                                                               
~                                                                               
~                                                                               
~                                                                               
~                                                                               
~                                                                               
~                                                                               
~                                                                               
~                                                                               
~                                                                               
~                                                                               
~                                                                               
~                                                                               
~                                                                               
~                                                                               
~                                                                               
~                                                                               
~                                                                               
"/etc/fstab" 8L, 712C                                         1,1           All

now the command given by Carl is also working what to do next?Image bam site is not loading full image in my connection so please.

@Henk i will follow your steps also.so you can also continue.

Decide on one method and follow it :slight_smile: this are basically two ways to do the same thing. Once You follow Henk’s method You don’t have to follow Carl’s and the other way around. What is more it’s not a good idea to follow both methods at the same time. Chose the one which You feel more comfortable with and get on with it.

Best regards,
Greg

Henk’s method is not working for me.i created mount points as he said.but it works only before the next restart.what can i do?tell me how to do Henk’s method successfully.or tell me the Carl’s method.image bam is not loading the full image so tell me what to do next?

Sorry, yesterday you were allready slpeeping and today I was off for a trip.
You shouldn’t go for the options window at all (at least not at the moment).
The YaST method is a bit difficult to see here because a GUI action is difficult to show here in the forums. That is why others prefere the CLI way, they can show easier what to do.

No I do not quiite understand. Can we do please step by step, because I am missing some information here.

1. what exactly did you fill in the first window you showed above in post #17?
  2. were there any warnings/error displayed when you clicked all the inish buttons?
  3. did you check if the partition was the mounted by e.g. going to the mountpointg with Dolphin and ee if yoyr files show there?
    These are alls tep I told you and I want of ccourse a fail/success for everyone. Remember I am not in Madurai looking over your shoulder, thus you have to explain everything.

answers for your questions Henk

1.i edited the mount point like /home/vicky/softwares(yeahh vicky is my username).i did like this for the other 4 partitions.it selects device id by default i clicked on ok.i did nothing

2.no,no warning or error displayed when i did that

3.yes my files are there i did all the things sucessfully.

Henk please understand me i did all the things successfully but after the restart all the things i did was fall back to default it is asking for my root password to mount partitions.after the restart in mount points i can’t see my files(only empty folder are there in home).what should i do?

I do understand you. You did it all correct, and they were mounted and usable. But afttr a rebooot tehy were gone again.

Strange. YaST shouuld have put them in /etc/fstab. but the /etc/fstab you show in post #21 does not show them. And when they are not there they will not be mounted at boot.

We will try to go for Carl’s and Glistwan’s method then. You can edit /etc/fstab as root from KDE by doing Alt-F2. This will open a small window where you can tpe a command. Type;

kdesu kwrite /etc/fstab

It will ask for the root password and then open a Kwrite window. That is an editor which I hope you know how to use.

Then add a line at the end with the contents:

/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST9320423AS_5VJ657SA-part6   /home/vicky/softwares   ntfs-3g  defaults 0 0

finish the Kwrite session and reboot. See if it works.

Henk it is not working see the following fstab after i edited it

/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST9320423AS_5VJ657SA-part6   /home/vicky/softwares   ntfs-3g  defaults 0 0
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST9320423AS_5VJ657SA-part8 swap                 swap       defaults              0 0
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST9320423AS_5VJ657SA-part10 /                    ext4       acl,user_xattr        1 1
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST9320423AS_5VJ657SA-part11 /home                ext4       acl,user_xattr        1 2

i can’t mount that partition.now also it is asking me the root password.i can’t mount that partition on start up.

Henk it is not working see the following fstab after i edited it

i can’t mount that partition.now also it is asking me the root password.i can’t mount that partition on start up.

1. I asked you to put that line at the end of the file. It is now at the beginning. That is not going to work.

2. I forgot to tell you that the directory* /home/vicky/softwares* must exist (when you use YaST it will create it, but now we must do it ourselfs). Please create this directory as vicky in a way you normaly create new directories/folders/maps (or how you call them). It must exist and be emty.

Thank you thank you so much Henk it is working but it mounted another partition(some technical mistake).anyway my problem is solved.thanks for helping me guys.

Hurray!

Look at the -part6 we have in the name. That is the 6 of sda6. Thus you can change there to what you need and also enter the others.
In fact instead of /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST9320423AS_5VJ657SA-part6 you can also use /dev/sda6. And that is what your *fdisk -l *shows. But as openSUSE used the longer names allready for the Linux partitions, we will use the same for these ones.

Also take care. The rule is NOT that the new line must be at the end. But the rule is that the fstab is worked from top to bottom. And */ *must be mounted before it is possible to mount /home. And */home *must be mounted before it is possible to mout /home/vicky/sofwares. Thus the lines must be in the sequence. Else the mountpoint is not there. It is simple when you know :slight_smile:

And we should also thank the others for taking the time to post here. When you now reread the whole thread, you will see that their advices where all correct. The problem on a forums is now and then that several good, but different advices are coming foreward. Which one to follow? rotfl!

Enjoy openSUSE!

Henk do you know this is my 11th sucessfully finished thread(expected results) in opensuse forums?now i added mount points for the all five partitions.see the following(my fstab)

/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST9320423AS_5VJ657SA-part6   /home/vicky/Softwares&Games   ntfs-3g  defaults 0 0
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST9320423AS_5VJ657SA-part7   /home/vicky/Photos&Songs      ntfs-3g  defaults 0 0
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST9320423AS_5VJ657SA-part9   /home/vicky/Videos&Movies     ntfs-3g  defaults 0 0
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST9320423AS_5VJ657SA-part2   /home/vicky/Windows7          ntfs-3g  defaults 0 0
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST9320423AS_5VJ657SA-part5   /home/vicky/Otherfiles        ntfs-3g  defaults 0 0

i love openSUSE

Looks nice!

I will give you one more thing to think about. Not for now, but for the future.

While Linux has support for NTFS (as you see), NTFS is NOT a native Linux file system type. As such it fails having a lot of Linux things like owner, group and access bits. When you nevertheless see all these things in e.g. Dolphin or from a command line ls -l, they are in fact not there, but faked by the Linux NTFS interface.

Thus my advice is that whenever you more or less stop using Windows on that system in the future, do think about converting these file systems to ext4. In he mean time, take care, there are several threads here on the Forums from people that realy though they could use NTFS for everything (like their /home). Better do not. Your case is not so sensitive I think, but keep it somewhere in your mind.

Sure Henk i will abandon Windows after buying a new pc with graphics card.now i am using windows for playing games.windows will not have read write access over ext4 so only i am using ntfs for my personal stuffs.but linux is not like that(always flexible).today i learned so many things about mount points.here(Madurai,Tamilnadu,India) time is 1.07am so i am going to sleep.once again thanks for your advice Henk.

You do this exactly the same way in any linux :slight_smile: what’s even better on Solaris there is a file calle /etc/vfstab which does basically the same thing. The syntax is a bit different but You are familiar now with the linux way so if in the future You’ll need to do the same thing on Solaris You now know how.

Good job on getting this to work.

Best regards,
Greg

Same for HP-UX, AIX, you name it.