Partitioning not detected by opensuse installer.

I have 2 physical 500 GB Sata drives/stripes that appear as 1000 GB C: drive under WinXP. I have partitioned that drive into 750 GB Windows native C: and an empty 250 GB partition F:
When running the installer for OpenSuse 11.2 only the physical drives appear in the list of available hard drives 2x 500 GB (= sda and sdb), rather then the partitions of 750 and 250 GB (would expect sda1 and sda2). Is it possible to install Opensuse on the 250 GB partition (F: under windows) without destroying the WinXP installation and data on the C: partition?

If you are using the live cd installer
Please boot from the cd, then at the running desktop, open a terminal, become su (no password required, just type su - and hit enter)
Do this:

fdisk -l
Post result

What type of RAID controller? FAKE (ie BIOS) or true hardware. IF FAKE do you have a Linux driver for the chip set? FAKE RAID requires software assistance.

I’m installing from Iso image DVD. How does fdisk -l take care of my problem? I’m not clear…

fdisk -l
tells us exactly what partitioning you have.

Clarify please: You have burned the .iso to a DVD? Yes…

RAID?

Yes, iso burned to DVD

And the RAID?
I know nothing about this except personally I wouldn’t bother with it, it’s nothing but a Pain in the rear.

My Gigabyte motherboard Was RAID ready, so i presume it has a hardware controller, but possibly I need another driver (what kind?) for Linux to see it. In my installation partitioning setup, the raid disks appear under raid system folder but unpartitioned and separate (as two 500 GB components )

If for some reason, you have to use RAID, then you need advice from someone else. Perhaps @gogalthrop can advise

I an handling very large files so access speed is important. Thanks for advice so far. Will take it up with gogalthrop.

My Gigabyte motherboard GA-EX58-UD4P was RAID ready, so i presume it has a hardware controller, but possibly I need another driver (what kind?) for Linux to see it. In my installation partitioning setup, the raid disks appear under raid system folder but unpartitioned and separate (as two 500 GB components ). Chipsets is Intel X58.

I’d use software RAID and forget about the FAKE RAID that comes on mother boards or if you are serious buy a hardware raid card. The problem with software RAID is that you can not dual boot to Windows. Of course you could run Windows in a VM ( like VirtualBox), which is really a better solution then dual booting unless you want to play high end Windows based games.

Also RAID 1 is for redundancy RAID 0 is for speed. Note in RAID 0 if either drive is lost or is corrupted you lose everything.

On 2010-07-05 04:56 GMT Monky wrote:

>
> My Gigabyte motherboard GA-EX58-UD4P was RAID ready, so i presume it
> has a hardware controller,

However, in most cases this means “not a real hardware raid controller”,
also known as “fake raid”; a software raid with some (read) support
from the hardware. There is a good explanation of what it means in the
wikipedia somewhere.

A real hardware raid is transparent to any operating system you
install, even with no drivers. For starters :slight_smile:

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” GM (Elessar))

Hello,SuSE user,
SUSE didn not recogonize your partitions because they don’t exist!!!And you have first installed WinDOWS!

SO CAME BACK to win,insert your CD with win ,format your hard using win CD without affect your install windows.partitions!format FREE SPACE!ONLY!
After restart without CONTINUE install win.Or use other fdisk tool for win.but the best is to use tools belongs to the OS as I said IN THIS CASE WINDOWS.

after restart check if your win boot.If yes you are happy and insert your linux CD OS.Install Linux and be sure when you are in the step with partitioning SUSe will find all you parts.

I myself I had your problem in windows7 when I want to make dual boot with SUSE and I solved exactly as I said.I kept free space for linux but he don’t see(i had this stupid idea).No problem I said>i format from win 7 as i told you and everything was perfect.sometime is bad idea to keep free space UNFORMATED!Remeber this because this is you problem.a free space unformated don’t exist for all OS and of course not for linux or win or MAc.sometime they can see free space unformated (i.e.-fedora) sometime not depends of manny
things and people better than me can tell you why.I would like to know what works in my case works for you ,too.inform us ,please if you choose this.
good luck!!!

Sounds to me like you’ve enabled RAID on the Linux install but not for the Windows install and I question whether your 3:1 Win partitions didn’t kill your 1:1 RAID.
OTOH, I question if RAID 1 is significantly faster than a single drive.

IIRC, WinXP required drivers to implement RAID. What happens if you turn off RAID, do you see the 2 drives in the 3:1 Win partitioning?

aka Chill Out

and for very big hard drives,some OS can’t use them properly/old versions/.anyway as I saw your problem is caused by RAID,good tool but difficult.from win galery win7 is real ok.try and try ,finally you solve…