Partition too small?

Hello,

I was see in my setting that the default space for the root directory is 20 GB. Is it possible to modify an existing partition, for example with gparted? to gain space from another partition?

If you mean expanding your rootpartition, no, you can’t. Not unless there’s unused space next to the root partition. AFAIK. If shrinking the root partition is your wish, yes, you can, but you can’t add the couple of GB’s to the front of the next. Again AFAIK.

But, what makes you think you need more? Here’s where I am, with both KDE and GNOME installed, and speed-dreams, and vdrift, and kernel-development (incl. sources): 13GB used space out of 20GB on “/”.

It is possible for some file systems, but may be a time consuming (and slightly risky) operation. It might involve shrinking and moving a partition after multiple times. Careful planning may be required to ensure everything goes correctly. I suggest you also do all partitioning operations from a live cd session. You can probably install gparted from inside the live cd.

Though I highly suggest you either reinstall, or take no action. As suggested above, 20gb is probably plenty for root.

ok, i guess 20 GB are enough. Where the software is istalled by defualt, For example I istalled thunderbird which is on /usr . There fore if everything will be istalled in root there is no chance of have it work. Is it possible to set another directory in which to save files? with yast

No, that means breaking the OS. Please don’t compare this to a Windows install. What I have done in the past, when on a 10GB only “/” partition, is bring data folders for games to another partition and create a symlink in their original place. On Windows lots of programs install hundreds of MB’s because they need their own dll’s etc etc, linux is completely different.

Please also take some time to understand how things work in linux. Once installed, the Thunderbird folders on “/” will not change, your mail, contacts etc. will be stored in your /home/USERNAME/.thunderbird . Other applications work the same way, and they have to, since they run with user permissions, and the user has no permission to write in the program’s folders.