Partition becomes read-only when copying files to it

For the past few weeks I’ve been having trouble copying files. When I try to copy something, it starts copying, and after a few GB, I suddenly get an error. It tells me its unable to write to the disk. After this, the only way to be able to write to the disk again, is to reboot the system. I then get to copy a few more files before the same error appears. The partition in question is formatted as ext3, using opensuse 11.0 with KDE.

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this issue.

Thanks in advance

When you get these errors, run dmesg - it should give you I/O warnings.

This means the drive is going to fail in the long run as you’re getting errors that the drive cannot repair itself (by using hidden blocks stored for damage sectors).

Thanks for the quick reply. I ran the command you gave me, these are the bits that seem to relate to the problem:

kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds                                                                                                              
EXT3-fs warning: maximal mount count reached, running e2fsck is recommended                                                                                 
EXT3 FS on sda1, internal journal                                                                                                                           
EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.                                                                                                         
fuse init (API version 7.9)                                                                                                                                 
EXT3-fs warning (device sdc1): ext3_clear_journal_err: Filesystem error recorded from previous mount: IO failure                                            
EXT3-fs warning (device sdc1): ext3_clear_journal_err: Marking fs in need of filesystem check.                                                              
EXT3-fs warning: mounting fs with errors, running e2fsck is recommended                                                                                     
EXT3 FS on sdc1, internal journal                                                                                                                           
EXT3-fs: recovery complete.                                                                                                                                 
EXT3-fs warning: maximal mount count reached, running e2fsck is recommended                                                                                 
EXT3 FS on sdd3, internal journal                                                                                                                           

journal_bmap: journal block not found at offset 1036 on sdc1                                                                                                
Aborting journal on device sdc1.                                                                                                                            
ext3_abort called.                                                                                                                                          
EXT3-fs error (device sdc1): ext3_journal_start_sb: Detected aborted journal                                                                                
Remounting filesystem read-only                                                                                                                             
__journal_remove_journal_head: freeing b_frozen_data                                                                                                        
__journal_remove_journal_head: freeing b_committed_data                                                                                                     
__journal_remove_journal_head: freeing b_frozen_data           

So basically what your saying is the drive is dead?

The ext3 FS mounted the drive at read only mode once it detects any error messages at the block. Please execute the following command to rectify the issue.

====
#e2fsck -c -y /dev/sdc1

Thanks,
Kamal