PAE kernel for intel pentium M 740?

Hi forum users,

are there real advantages for me in the PAE kernel? Execute Disable Bit/NX bit? Are viruses in linux coming up? Would you change to the Physical Address Extension? Or is this just enabled in the default kernel of openSUSE now?:expressionless:

Since a update to openSUSE 11.2 via a new installation I use the default kernel. As I remember before that it was the PAE kernel. I have only 2 GiB memory on my laptop.

Hope I choose the right sub forum.

Greetings
pistazienfresser

Physical Address Extension - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Intel® Pentium® M Processor 740 (2M Cache, 1.73 GHz, 533 MHz FSB) with SPEC Code(s) SL7S8, SL7SA, SL86B
1% performance overhead of paravirt_ops on native kernels - linux.kernel | Google Groups

The NX bit is a gain yes but you would not need PAE for 2GB RAM. I think of the NX bit as better for catching errors in software since viruses are not an issue in Linux. Most malware these days use phishing or vulnerabilities in web browsers. The performance impact of PAE is minor so you can go either PAE or non-PAE. So it’s up to you.

Thank you, ken_yap
pistazienfresser

I have installed the PAE kernel (, too)
I enabeled NX bit in my BIOS.
The PAE it is running now.
The System Monitor says now “Memory: 1.9 GiB” instead of 2.0 before - are the 0.1 GiB this place/data not to be touched/executed (and so not to be seen)?
Greetings
pistazienfresser