packman updates

Yes, this should be the better solution …

Apparently, I had undone my vendor change to Packman somehow, so I think my machine was switching repos for those packages every time I updated. So I re-enabled the vendor change to Packman and the behavior seems to have stopped.

What exactly did you do and how? :open_mouth:
You can’t explicitely turn on/off vendor change to Packman.

And I doubt you specified Packman as vendor equal to openSUSE in /etc/zypp/zypp.conf, or did you? That would allow the packages jump between those repos, but since there were no updates in the standard repos you wouldn’t have had that happening anyway.

And the behaviour has stopped because there just haven’t been any updates in Packman since Sunday (at least for me).

This is a more likely explanation. :slight_smile:

I had changed the priority for Packman to 100 (everything else was at 99), but I noticed when browsing repos that the “switch installed packages to the versions in this repository” was there, meaning that I had not pushed it previously. So I pushed it.

I am far more familiar with other distros, so some of the intricacies of Zypper are still new to me.

That “switch installed packages to the versions in this repository” is always there, even if you pushed it already in an earlier session. It just means that all packages should be switched to that repo now.

And the repo priorities only apply for installing new packages really, be it directly via “zypper in” or indirectly via dependencies.
“zypper up” never changes the vendor on a default install, except if it is explicitely being told to via command line or it is configured otherwise in /etc/zypp/zypp.conf. (“zypper dup” is a different case though, that one doesn’t respect the vendor, only repo priorities and package versions)

Btw, you should leave all repo priorities at 99 nowadays (at least if you don’t know why exactly you are doing it :wink: ). Changing them was really only necessary in earlier times, when zypper didn’t have the concept of “vendor stickiness” yet.

Aaah. Thank you.

Just want to add, that a similar “fix” has been applied to the ffmpeg package too a few days ago. This one is of course more critical, since a change to ffmpeg causes a lot of other packages to be rebuilt as well (all the multimedia stuff practically).
That’s why there weren’t any (daily) updates anymore in the last days… :wink:

Today there really has been a change to the package, therefore there are some (42 on my system) updates again. But that daily updates issue should be solved now I think.

the same thing is happening to me too. from my perspective, it is abnormal…
on march 15 it gives me updates to xbmc and vlc (among the others) today, march 19, the next time when i boot into opensuse: bang, xbmc and vlc again (among the others too), about 75 MB of updates.

i want to say thet everything is set by default. i have only added the “packman” repository.

Your perspective is wrong.

are you telling me that is normal that almost everytime i start the machine to get this huge amount of updates? i mean, xbmc, k3b-codecs, vlc, etc, etc…it is like having a new version of these apps every time.

Hi
There was an outage on the 13th, so things maybe have been rebuilding and due to BuildRequires may have built a few times over the period your talking about.

The last build was yesterday… https://pmbs.links2linux.de/package/live_build_log?arch=i586&package=xbmc&project=Multimedia&repository=openSUSE_13.1

And ffmpeg was updated to the latest version on March 15th, which causes a rebuild of all other multimedia related stuff as well:

# rpm -q --changelog ffmpeg
* Sat Mar 15 2014 Manfred.Tremmel@iiv.de- update to 2.1.4
  * more fixes

so, i am coming back with some observation…
yesterday i have got about 25 MB of updates, vlc among them.
today, another 20 MB of updates, also vlc among them.
just great! rotfl!

Try the 64bit version of Opensuse 13.1 li-f-e (linux for education)

Updates typically update “gcompris-data” which Yast shows as almost 160M, and probably 80M compressed.

i think you are joking!

on the other hand…today i have got another round of updates, about 50MB. among them: vlc, xbmc, gstreamer, k3b, etc.
i guess that something is not right.

On Sun 23 Mar 2014 07:06:01 AM CDT, rich1974 wrote:

i think you are joking!

on the other hand…today i have got another round of updates, about
50MB. among them: vlc, xbmc, gstreamer, k3b, etc.
i guess that something is not right.

Hi
You would have to assume that something is triggering a rebuild and a
change for it to mirror out… packman mailing list would be your
best bet…

http://lists.links2linux.de/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/packman

Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) GNOME 3.10.1 Kernel 3.11.10-7-desktop
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!

libx264 was updated to the latest version, which causes a rebuild of most (all?) multimedia-related packages as well:

# rpm -q --changelog libx264-142
* Sat Mar 22 2014 i@margueirte.su

- update version 20140321.

Regarding the “complaints”, I can only say: Don’t use Packman, if you are annoyed by that… :wink:
Or do one of the following:

• You don’t have to install updates immediately. Only do so every few days and ignore the notification otherwise.
  • Set “HidePackages=true” in /etc/PackageKit/ZYpp.conf . PackageKit only shows patches from the update repo then (just like “zypper patch” or YaST->Online Update). You would of course also not get notified by package updates in other additional repos you might have, so you might run “zypper up”/check in YaST->Software Management from time to time as well.
  • Create a local mirror, that only syncs once a week (or whatever), and use that as “Packman repo”

thanx a lot.
today, another round of 70 MB of updates. vlc, xbmc, k3b, etc.
but the funny part is that after i did the updates, the CPU frequency, instead of going back to 800 Mhz, it got stuck to 1,9 Ghz (maximum freq.).

Well, but that’s definitely not caused by Packman’s updates, I’d say.

Run top and see if anything is eating the CPU

Log out and back in or reboot. Updates do not replace running programs but you may start something that is running libraries from the old and new this could cause a problem.