Packages supporting wireless networking

Hi,

A few days ago, I started to look into creating my own custom opensuse-based live USB. The SUSE Studio website provides a really nice environment for customizing installations and I have been using it to test various experimental builds. Although I have being able to create KDE-based and LXDE-based installations, I have hit a road-block with wireless networking. I could not manage to make use of the wireless card on my laptop. However, when I use the official live CD from www.opensuse.org/, my wireless card is detected and works just fine.

I guess I am missing some important packages in my custom live USB systems.

The forum of SUSE studio is not very active, so I thought I would have a better chance to get helpful feedback from the opensuse forum. Any help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Sebastien

PS: the system that I am attempting to build are based on Opensuse 12.3

Considering the thread “My wireless doesn’t work - a primer on what I should do next”

When using my LXDE-based build, step 1, and 2 are ok. At step 3, I can read in dmesg:
13.323562] rtl8192se: Firmware rltwifi/rlt8192sefw.bin not available

On Sun 07 Apr 2013 02:36:02 AM CDT, pomchip wrote:

Hi,

A few days ago, I started to look into creating my own custom
opensuse-based live USB. The SUSE Studio website provides a really nice
environment for customizing installations and I have been using it to
test various experimental builds. Although I have being able to create
KDE-based and LXDE-based installations, I have hit a road-block with
wireless networking. I could not manage to make use of the wireless card
on my laptop. However, when I use the official live CD from
www.opensuse.org/, my wireless card is detected and works just fine.

I guess I am missing some important packages in my custom live USB
systems.

The forum of SUSE studio is not very active, so I thought I would have
a better chance to get helpful feedback from the opensuse forum. Any
help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Sebastien

PS: the system that I am attempting to build are based on Opensuse 12.3

Hi
Have you installed the kernel-firmware package in your appliance?


Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 12.3 (x86_64) Kernel 3.7.10-1.1-desktop
up 5 days 10:20, 4 users, load average: 0.06, 0.12, 0.18
CPU Intel® i5 CPU M520@2.40GHz | GPU Intel® Ironlake Mobile

Thanks Malcolm for the quick reply.

No, I did not include this package. I am going to try and let you know.

Including kernal-firmware was not enough to make the wireless work. I still see the same error in dmesg.

On 04/07/2013 04:56 AM, pomchip wrote:
>
> Including kernal-firmware was not enough to make the wireless work. I
> still see the same error in dmesg.

When you run the command ‘ls /lib/firmware/rtlwifi’, what files are there?

Is rtl8192se a module, or is it built into the kernel?

Hi,

The folder /lib/firmware does not contains the rtlwifi subfolder.

I am sorry but my understanding of linux is limited, and I am not sure about your second question. How do I determine if this is a module or if it is part of the kernel? Regarding the kernel, I am including in the appliance the package kernel-pae and pernel-firmware from the default opensuse repos (openSUSE_12.3_OSS and openSUSE_12.3_Updates).

I don’t know if the following extract from dmesg answers your question:
13.545455] rtl8192se: FW Power Save Off (module option)
13.545502] rtl8192se: Driver for Realtek RTL8192SE/RTL8191SE
13.545502] Loading firmware rtlwifi/rtl8192sefw.bin
13.545905] rtl8192se: Firmware rtlwifi/rtl8192sefw.bin not available

On 04/07/2013 11:56 AM, pomchip wrote:
>
> I don’t know if the following extract from dmesg answers your question:
> 13.545455] rtl8192se: FW Power Save Off (module option)
> 13.545502] rtl8192se: Driver for Realtek RTL8192SE/RTL8191SE
> 13.545502] Loading firmware rtlwifi/rtl8192sefw.bin
> 13.545905] rtl8192se: Firmware rtlwifi/rtl8192sefw.bin not
> available

You did not install the kernel-firmware package. I know you thought you did, but
if the files I asked about are not there, the package is not available.

As long as you are using a standard openSUSE kernel, the driver for the
rtl8192se is a module.

Indeed, I have used the old *.iso instead of the new one. After running the proper iso, I find the following files in lib/firmware/rtlwifi
> ls /lib/firware/rtlwifi
rtle8192cfw.bin
rtle8192cfwU.bin
rtle8192cfwU_B.bin
rtle8192cufw.bin
rtle8192defw.bin
rtle8192sefw.bin
rtle8712u.bin
rtle8723fw.bin
rtle8723fw_B.bin

The rtl28192se module seem properly loaded according to dmesg, but I still don’t have any wireless.

> iwlist scan
wlan0 Interface doesn’t support scanning : Network is down

lo Interface doesn’t support scanning.

etho0 Interface doesn’t support scanning

On 04/07/2013 02:16 PM, pomchip wrote:
>
> Indeed, I have used the old *.iso instead of the new one. After running
> the proper iso, I find the following files in lib/firmware/rtlwifi
>> ls /lib/firware/rtlwifi
> rtle8192cfw.bin
> rtle8192cfwU.bin
> rtle8192cfwU_B.bin
> rtle8192cufw.bin
> rtle8192defw.bin
> rtle8192sefw.bin
> rtle8712u.bin
> rtle8723fw.bin
> rtle8723fw_B.bin
>
> The rtl28192se module seem properly loaded according to dmesg, but I
> still don’t have any wireless.
>
>> iwlist scan
> wlan0 Interface doesn’t support scanning : Network is down
>
> lo Interface doesn’t support scanning.
>
> etho0 Interface doesn’t support scanning

Are you using NetworkManager or ifup? If the latter, did you configure the wireless?

If using NM, did you see a message like “rtlwifi: wireless switch is on”? If
not, your wireless switch may not be in the on position. You need to run the
command ‘/usr/sbin/rfkill list’ command to see what is blocking.

OK, I think I got it.

Your question about NetworkManager vs ifup made me look in more details into the network settings in Yast. NetworkManager was not activated by default (as I guess any kind of network detection) and I had to define the Network settings. Once this was done, wifi worked.

Now I need to work on making this setup persistent (=need to read more on persistent live USB systems).

Thanks a bunch for your help!

Sebastien