Packagekit?

Okay, just got to ask…

am I the only one that the packagekit backend for the systray updater (in KDE4.1.2) is…eh, next to useless?

More often than not, I get the yellow problem sign when updating the repos or a round blue question-mark that claims packagekit couldn’t talk to d-bus for some reason. Not to mention the problem that the updater claims that the package database is locked by packagekitd.

When the Zypp backend is installed and selected, those problems are gone. I’m not sure if it’s a problem because 11.1 is still in beta or if packagekit just isn’t mature enough yet. My guess would be the latter because I had similar problems when I tried out Fedora a while back.

Edited to add: this is using Beta4, 64bit. I had similar problems in beta3, 32bit though.

Have you registered or entered the update url manually?
Index of /update/11.1

Okay, just got to ask…

am I the only one that the packagekit backend for the systray updater (in KDE4.1.2) is…eh, next to useless?

My experience with packagekit backend has been exactly as you describe. I abandoned it early on, and went with the zypper backend instead (without problems). However, I usually update via the zypper CLI.

• SauronXXX wrote, On 11/05/2008 10:56 PM:
    > Okay, just got to ask…
    >
    > am I the only one that the packagekit backend for the systray updater
    > (in KDE4.1.2) is…eh, next to useless?

It notifies me about updates pretty well. What doesn’t work for me is when I try to actually initiate an update through the applet.

Uwe

Hm, maybe I remember wrong but I seem to recall that URL was present in the repo-list out-of-the box although not enabled by default.

Before enabling it, the applet complained that there were no update repos available (not surprisingly since it wasn’t enabled). After enabling it, I ran into the problems encountered in my original post.

It’s a bit early to tell yet, but the beta4 plus seems so far to work better with packagekit (hey, needed to try even though the zypp backend worked perfectly for me).