Package power limit normal

Hello all,

I am seeing a lot of “Package power limit normal” messages in /var/log/messages. Anyone what these are and, if they are not an issue, how to suppress them?

Specifically, /var/log/messages contains:

CPU4: Package power limit notification (total events = 322)
CPU0: Package power limit notification (total events = 322)
CPU2: Package power limit notification (total events = 322)
CPU3: Package power limit notification (total events = 322)
CPU1: Package power limit notification (total events = 322)
CPU6: Package power limit notification (total events = 322)
CPU5: Package power limit notification (total events = 322)
CPU7: Package power limit notification (total events = 322)
CPU0: Package power limit normal
CPU2: Package power limit normal
CPU4: Package power limit normal
CPU6: Package power limit normal
CPU1: Package power limit normal
CPU3: Package power limit normal
CPU5: Package power limit normal
CPU7: Package power limit normal

Some searching that I have done seems to indicate this is a heating issue? However, these seem to show up when the computer is not doing anything really. The CPU temps seem to be between 27-36C.

My system:
Intel(R) Core™ i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
openSUSE 12.2
KDE 4.9.3 “release 520”

Thanks!

I have the the very same CPU on an ASUS P8Z77-V LE Plus motherboard and I am not seeing this error. Perhaps you need a BIOS update of some sort? Here are my CPU temps (KDE Hardware Temp Widget):

http://paste.opensuse.org/view/download/45182587

Thank You,

[QUOTE=jdmcdaniel3;2506525]I have the the very same CPU on an ASUS P8Z77-V LE Plus motherboard and I am not seeing this error. Perhaps you need a BIOS update of some sort? Here are my CPU temps (KDE Hardware Temp Widget)/QUOTE]

Thanks for sharing your temps. It appears they are the same as mine. That’s good to know! It could be a BIOS thing, I’m not sure.

FWIW, my box is a Shuttle SH67H3: Desktop XPC

Nice looking box. Mine is a home brew variety and not so small, but putting things in small cases is harder than for larger ones and I am not into taking my main PC to another house for a party as I just use a Laptop for that. Thanks to my work for letting me use one from there. BIOS updates and the problems they fix are very common. Just make sure to follow all of the warnings before you decide to make the BIOS upgrade and including doing a backup of all important data. I also keep around one of those external USB hard drive docking stations you can use on any PC and just plop in the hard drive into it, no mounting required, to recover important files using another computer, should it be required.

Good luck in doing a BIOS update and hope that it helps fix the issue.

Thank You,

I looked into the BIOS and it appears that I have the latest one already. I have another Shuttle (same model) but with a i7-2600K 3.4GHz Sandy Bridge CPU and I don’t see these messages. That machine though is openSUSE 12.1 which could make a difference (kernel 3.1.10). On the openSUSE 12.2 machine, I even tried the kernel from the Kernel:stable repo (IIRC, 3.4.19) and the messages were still appearing.

Since the core temperatures are fairly low (lower than the i7-2600K in fact which are around 40C) and the machine seems rock stable, I will ignore the messages for now. I was hoping there would be some way to suppress them though.

Cheers,

Alvin

What is the Intel chipset on the i7 3770 rig? I see that mine is a Z77, if that makes any difference.

Thank You,

Could be. I think it’s the H67 chipset. I think the CPU is newer than the motherboard. One BIOS version before the most current one states that it includes support for Ivy Bridge.

I think the “Package power limit normal” message is a dud. I downgraded to the stock 3.4.11 kernel for openSUSE 12.2 and the message seemed to disappear. When I upgraded to Kernel:stable (3.4.19-1-desktop), the messages reappears. The temps do not seem to be all that high though: <= 37C.

I think I will stick with Kernel:stable because I seem to get better video performance with the build-in GPU (Intel Graphics 4000 I believe).

So if you are into trying out different kernel versions, have a look at my bash script here: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/s-k-c-suse-automated-kernel-compiler-version-2-50-34/

Thank You,