What should I make of that…?

Stupid underscores, great at confusing:

# inxi -S
System:
  Host: big31 Kernel: 6.4.12-1-default arch: x86_64 bits: 64
    Console: pty pts/4 Distro: openSUSE Tumbleweed 20230926
# cat /usr/local/bin/zypse
#!/bin/sh
zypper --no-refresh se -s $*  | grep -Ev '32bit|debug|devel|srcp|openSUSE-20' | grep -E 'x86|noarch'| sort
# zypse audiocd
   | kio_audiocd       | package | 23.08.1-1.1 | x86_64 | OSS
 l | kio_audiocd-lang  | package | 23.08.1-1.1 | noarch | OSS
# opi kio-audiocd
No package found.
# opi kio_audiocd
1. kio_audiocd
2. kio_audiocd-lang
3. kio_audiocd-devel
4. kio_audiocd-debuginfo
5. kio_audiocd-debugsource
Pick a number (0 to quit): 0
#
1 Like
erlangen:~ # zypper search -s audiocd
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...

S  | Name              | Type    | Version     | Arch   | Repository
---+-------------------+---------+-------------+--------+-----------------------
i+ | kio_audiocd       | package | 23.08.1-1.1 | x86_64 | Haupt-Repository (OSS)
   | kio_audiocd-devel | package | 23.08.1-1.1 | x86_64 | Haupt-Repository (OSS)
i+ | kio_audiocd-lang  | package | 23.08.1-1.1 | noarch | Haupt-Repository (OSS)
erlangen:~ # 
1 Like

Thanks, you two. Any idea of why the kio*. packages are named so inconsistently?

Just to keep you on the top of your toes.

Else ask KDE.

1 Like

You should either thoroughly read before you type, or use copy/paste.

What are you referring to, @hcvv?

Look at your first post here. You have

and then

Yeah, I stupidly thought that the _ was converted into a - when published, since I just didn’t consider that they would have unnecessarily different names. Sometimes I erroneously ignore obvious inconsistencies on the basis that I expect that I must be wrong in my interpretation of them.

The reason is that you are not a computer. And thus try to interpret things instead of stupidly going on. :rofl:

1 Like

There is a convention for - and _ in package names. But there are also exceptions. openSUSE:Package naming guidelines - openSUSE Wiki

Strange start of this:

RPM limits package names to ASCII plus a few punctuation characters.

That can’t be true. ASCII includes 26 upper and 26 lower case characters of the Latin alphabet, 10 numbers and 30+ others (of which many could be called “punctuation characters”) and ~34 Control characters. What punctuation characters do they mean additional to ASCII (and how are they represented?)

And then they say that what can be used without danger is

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
0123456789-._+

which are all ASCII characters.

How trustworthy is the rest of the article? :frowning:

1 Like

That’s a good point. I’d be surprised if .rpm supported more than a mere Latin subset of ASCII, even if openSUSE puts additional rules atop those to ensure such characters aren’t used (if .rpm supports them).

RPM supports UTF-8 in package header, but for some fields (tags) it restricts possible characters. Package names are limited to ASCII alphanumeric plus .-_+ and must start with ASCII alphanumeric or _.

1 Like