oS 13.1 Stable

Version changes are not notified or otherwise automatic. You have to manually install. You can do an online upgrade or a DVD upgrade, but I suggest you read the instructions first.

Also this is not a rolling distro. 13.1 is to be the new base of evergreen which only supports patches not new versions of things. Also there is tumbleweed which is the the rolling version.

SDB:System upgrade - openSUSE

On 2013-11-23 22:36, rdonnelly2001 wrote:
>
> So I see the 13.1 release is out, since it is a rolling distro,

No, it is not.

> will we
> be notified of the update,

Certainly not.

> or do we download the DVD and upgrade that
> way?

Or use zypper dup, after you read the instructions.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.3 x86_64 “Dartmouth” at Telcontar)

I went for the DVD option, but I did not upgrade yet as other things came up. Looks like I will need to find bigger thumb drives, 4 GB is not enough any more? :stuck_out_tongue:

???
A DVD always was 4.7 GB…lol!

You could use the NET-install ISO, that’s roughly 200MB.
But that one will of course download all packages from the online repos during installation (but only those that are needed).

BTW, I have a question for you that did the upgrade? Am I going to be able to back down my Thunderbird to 24.0 after the upgrade, because the next version does not work with Lightning? Is it possible with Software Management? Or where is the RPM files stored on the root drive?

For updates from the official update repos, all the previous versions stay available.
You can switch back to previous version in YaST->Software Management, just click on “Versions” (bottom-right). You may have to lock them then though, otherwise they might get updated again later…

Btw, AFAIK the latest Lightning version should work with Thunderbird 24.1.

Edit: Oops, I just saw that 13.1 comes with TB 24.1 already, so it’s not possible to downgrade again that way.
There is thunderbird-esr 17.0 available on OBS though. (and 23.99 in mozilla:beta)

I have TB locked in Yast, but will it hold through the upgrade? Lightning does not work in 24.1, that is why I locked 24.0

Depends on how you do the upgrade. With “zypper dup” it should hold, but with a Installation medium it would not. But in that case you can review the list of package changes and select/deselect single changes before installation.

The question is though, if the 12.3 Thunderbird still works on 13.1 since most of the underlying libraries have been upgraded. I don’t know that.

But again, the latest Lightning version should work with Thunderbird 24.1: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/lightning/versions/

Version 2.6.3
Released November 19, 2013 3.6 MB
Works with SeaMonkey 2.21 and later, Thunderbird 24.1.1 and later
Source code released under Mozilla Public License, version 2.0 What’s this?
Version 2.8b1
Released November 15, 2013 3.8 MB
Works with SeaMonkey 2.23 and later, Thunderbird 26.0 and later
Download for Linux
Version 2.6.2
Released October 29, 2013 3.6 MB
Works with SeaMonkey 2.21 and later, Thunderbird 24.1.0 and later

I will give it a try before the upgrade. Thanks

So yes, lightning has been fixed for 24.1 I tested it and I am ready to upgrade to 13.1.

I do like the way you can easily downgrade apps with yast, with Debian you were somewhat stuck with the upgrade for better or worse.

Well, I upped to 13.1 with out a hitch, thanks for all the help.

Only thing is grub was still showing 12.3 instead of 13.1 so I edited grub.cfg and all is well now.