OS 13.1: After update system system deos not start properly

Hi there,

I yesterday evening allowed an update of OS13.1 64 bit and this morning I can’t start OS 13.1 .
On the same computer I have another partition with Win7 pro 64 bit and Win7 starts without any problems and has full functionality.
I tried the 1. recovery mode on the Grub start menu and got a long list of messages on the screen. Everything seeemed to be ok. Except when starting Network Mangager appeared, it took some time while antoher message appeared “A start job is running for Network Mangager” which took around 15 seconds. After this time the network manger seems to run, but I get several [DEPENDENCY] Messages, whic hstart with “Remote Fiel system …” and ends with mounts on my NAS. The log than finally stops with the message" Reached target Graphical Interface" and then the system seems to hang - I waited up to 2 minutes withotu any visible change !
I can press CTRL ALT DEL to force a reboot in the recovery mode. I also tried one of the other versions of recovery mode, but got the same problem
That’s all I can do.

Any hints ?

TIA , Joe

Sounds like a possible video problem so what video car/drivers?

I agree.

As for the long (probably more like 25 to 35 seconds) delay with Network Manager starting, that is another issue apart from your failure to get past “Reached target Graphical Interface”.

Ok great, so what can I do know ?
Whatever option I choose in the Grub Menu, there is nothing in it, that the makers of OpenSuse wanted to give into the my hands, which would allow me to get access to my system ! In Windows I can enter a DOS command prompt and can try to fix the system or can try to save my data. How can I do that in OS 13.1?

In windows if the graphic driver has a compatibility problem, it can switch to the 800x600 or a similar compatible mode and I have a chance to find a solution .
Is there a roll back in OS13.1 ? I have now swichted the automatic updates in all our foundation PC’S with OpenSuse off - can’t risk to loose them all.

I am using a Radeon HD6800 graphics card , which worked in the past quite well with OS13.1, before the OS 13.1 disimprovement came on sunday …

TIA, Joe

Ok I have downloaded the newest AMD driver available for the Radeoan HD6000 series on the AMD website.
How can I install it on my system ?

TIA, Joe

Is it possible to install Leap 42.1 as an upgrade over the old OS13.1 ?
Guys I need my data, please, give me a hint, how I can have access again.

Have you tried to press Ctrl+Alt+F1 to get a console login prompt?

PC: oS 13.2 x86_64 | i7-2600@3.40GHz | 16GB | KDE 4.14 | GTX 760
Yoga 2 Pro: oS 42.1 | x86_64 | i7-4500U@1.80GHz | 8GB | KDE 5.16
HTPC: oS 42.1 x86_64 | Celeron@1.8GHz | 2GB | Gnome 3.16 | HD 2500

Boot to termainl

at boot screen press e find line starting linux or linuxefi go to true end (it wraps) enter space and a 3 press F10 to continue boot and log into terminal mode

Ok thanks, got access to the terminal !!! Network is working, so I could start to copy important data onto my NAS

I started as su yast in terminal mode and updated the system. Then installed the newest AMD proprietary driver (fglrx-15.302), also in terminal mode. No problem , no error messages etc.

But still the same problem the system boots up to a certain point as already described and then nothing happens. I can press ALT F1 to get console access, but that’s it.

Tried to read the system log in yast, but could not find anything spectacular. Well, may be I can’t see the red tree among all those other green trees in that log forrest :wink:

Any ideas / suggestion ?

TIA, Joe

With systemd, system logs are now stored in a database accessible using the command “journalctl.”

You’ll find numerous articles on the Internet about special command combinations to display specific entries. Although it’s all new stuff to learn, in some ways it’s far more efficient to locate relevant entries than simply scrolling through a logfile

journalctl --help

Typically during the boot process, and after your Grub menu selection, you can hit ESC to view your boot process as stdout.
You can also try booting to an emergency/recovery mode to avoid anything that might hang your machine booting a Desktop.
You can also try booting to “Minimal X” mode, which will give you an IceWM environment for troubleshooting, but this requires a clean “pre-graphical desktop” boot.

Although 13.1 is still supported as Evergreen, you should seriously consider upgrading or re-installing either 13.2 or LEAP for a better running system unless you have a particular reason to be using 13.1.

TSU

Ok I will try to use it. Thanks !

Mhhh, I used already the recovery mode in Grub (there are actually several recover entries with different version numbers) but the system hangs as descirbed.
How can I activate “Minimal x” mode ?

Already thought the same. I would like to install a rocksolid longterm OS as a host and run on top only virtual machines. The host should have only the function as a base platform, nothing else. That’s easier to backup, virtual machines can run on any other supported platform and if the host turns mad like now … reinstalling the standard system and set up the virtual machines is done in a relativ short time. I already had bad expierences with OS 13.2 and what I have read here of Leap problems, has created doubts that these 2 would be a good basis OS (host) for this concept. Guess reinstalling OS 13.1 is a more stable solution, right ? What do you think / suggest ?

TIA, Joe

First, as I noted “Minimal-X” is an option only if your system is able to boot all the way to graphical mode. If your error is preventing this, then “Minmal-X” is not an option. But, if the graphical driver is what is preventing booting to graphical mode, then a re-install to “Minimal-X” should work since AFAIK “Minimal-X” does not install a hardware-specific driver.

Personally,
Today, for a virtualization base I would generally recommend LEAP in “Minimal-X” mode. That would give you a stable, very minimal install with a limited attack surface while still providing you with a graphical environment if you need it (not everyone is accomplished at text-only). Excess resource overhead would be very minimal by default. LEAP is near its beginning life-cycle which should mean at least 3 years’ support.

But, your choice and design should also be guided by your experience and choice of virtualization and/or virtualization.
Are you experienced with Linux Containers? If so, then LXC or Docker supports over-provisioning to the extreme. and zero overhead.
Are you less technically experienced and want things to “just work” with minimal complication? Then, various paravirtualization choices exist from Public Open Source like KVM or Xen, to “small business” solutions like VirtualBox to polished commercial tools like VMware.
Do you intend to deploy a public/private hybrid cloud? You’ll want to choose the technology that requires least migration/porting issues.

You’ll find this topic discussed in various threads in the Virtualization forum.

TSU

What does /var/log/Xorg.0.log say?
If you can access the machine via ssh you could grab it from another
machine and upload its content to paste.opensuse.org and give the link
here for inspection.

Thanks for your reply. Wanted to publish the content her , but the forum only supports 16k of text per message and no attachments.
Private message to you is even more restricted - just 6k of text and no attachments, too.
If you can send me a private message wit hyour email address I could send it to you.

TIA, Joe

Uuh, ok.

Thanks a lot for your perspective, much appreciated ! I like the Leap “Minmal-x” approach. As I already use Virtualbox and have several virtual machines with it and have no experience with the others KVM and KEN, I most probably will use Virtualbox although Orcale has its fingers on it.
But I guess I need to spend some time in the Virtualisation forum before I make a decision.

Tsu, thanks again, Joe

Am 11.02.2016 um 10:56 schrieb J0EE0J:
>
> martin_helm;2753556 Wrote:
>> What does /var/log/Xorg.0.log say?
>> If you can access the machine via ssh you could grab it from another
>> machine and upload its content to paste.opensuse.org and give the link
>> here for inspection.
>
> Thanks for your reply. Wanted to publish the content her , but the forum
> only supports 16k of text per message and no attachments.
> Private message to you is even more restricted - just 6k of text and no
> attachments, too.
> If you can send me a private message wit hyour email address I could
> send it to you.
>
> TIA, Joe
>
>
that is why I referred to paste.opensuse.org. Go to that website and put
the info there and in the forum you only post a link. Sending it to me
will not help as nobody else can see it who has deeper knowledge with
AMD graphic cards if that is needed (I do not have one, so I can only
identify if a very obvious problem is visible).

Ok done, didn’t know this Suse paste before.

Here is the link !

Tia Joe

Am 11.02.2016 um 17:36 schrieb J0EE0J:

> Ok done, didn’t know this Suse paste before.
>
> Here is the ‘link !’ (http://paste.opensuse.org/96756440)
>
> Tia Joe
>
your X server shuts itself down without any previous error message. May
I ask what desktop environment/login manager or window manager you use?
and if only a window manager what startup script is used?

Hi There,

fortunately I have switched off the automatic update on all our 3.11 computers. But my wife did not on her Asus notebook.
This morning she worked on it and the she saw an update request and started it. As she wanted to drive home she saw after a while that the upload was quite slow max 70kbit/sec and that it was loading/updating the standard kernel. As she wanted to go home she gave the Os the comannd to shut down.
At home she wanted to boot agaib and … same problem as on my computer, Grub starts allows to selct the OS and then it stops with the chamelelon fully visible. I pressed ALT F1 and found the same status as on my pc: .It tries to starts the GUI and then its over !!!

Either someone is able to break into the OS update procedure or the last update is for some OS13.1 systems buggy !!!

Joe

Hi Martin ,

Thanks for your reply.

Standard KDE and the standard OS 13.1 login as I installed with the downloaded OS13.1 ISO file on an USB stick around 1 1/2 years ago. The same is valid for my wifes notebook and the other PC’s in the foundation.
Ok we may have changed some parameters that KDE allows to change to get a personal look and feel, But that’s it.

Joe