oS 11.3 installer: HDD problem/HDD not found

Hi,

I tried to upgrade my old machine, so I had to make unusual solutions. :wink:
First I bought two hard disks, one 160GB for swap and root directory, and 500GB for home directory.
Then I realized that my old motherboard MSI K7N2 Delta-N doesn’t have SATA connections. Then I bought SATA controler Intex ITCI-2SATA, and connected everything. The controller goes via PCI bus.
I turned on computer, inserted openSUSE 11.3 dvd, and ran installation.
It couldn’t detect hard drives! :’(
I returned to BIOS to see what can I do, but I couldn’t do anything. It’s Phoenix-Award BIOS from 2004.

So, can anyone help me out to get this thing working, please? :beat-up:

I tried to upgrade my old machine, so I had to make unusual solutions. :wink:
First I bought two hard disks, one 160GB for swap and root directory, and 500GB for home directory.
Then I realized that my old motherboard MSI K7N2 Delta-N doesn’t have SATA connections. Then I bought SATA controler Intex ITCI-2SATA, and connected everything. The controller goes via PCI bus.
I turned on computer, inserted openSUSE 11.3 dvd, and ran installation.
It couldn’t detect hard drives! :cry:
I returned to BIOS to see what can I do, but I couldn’t do anything. It’s Phoenix-Award BIOS from 2004.

So, can anyone help me out to get this thing working, please? :beat-up:
Hello Dragon_Bard. In general, you can’t boot from a hard drive that your BIOS does not support. Once openSUSE has loaded its kernel, it may work fine, but you just can not boot from it. For instance, I have a couple of USB 3 External Hard Drives. Both work fine with openSUSE once the kernel is loaded, but they are not seen by my computer BIOS and can not be selected as a boot drive. Further, I might suggest you boot from a Live CD to determine if the hard disks can be seen after you have fully loaded openSUSE into memory.

Now I might add that I have never seen anyone use 160 GB just for swap, not sure what that would even do. And, while 500 GB for home would be good if you save lots of video files, nothing else uses that kind of space. I just checked and 44 music videos and 3000 mp3 songs takes up only 20 GB of space. So, I would say you could get by with only 80 GB total on any hard drive your BIOS can see and boot from, but in any event, you may be able to use this extra controller after openSUSE is loaded, but not before.

Thank You,

On 2010-11-11 03:36, jdmcdaniel3 wrote:

> On 2010-11-11 00:06, Dragon Bard wrote:
> …

I concur entirely.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” at Telcontar)

!60 gb is the smallest I’ve found, and you’re right about 500gb. I’ts for video files.
Thank you for your patience. :slight_smile:

You don’t have to use the entire drive for swap. You’re not going to have any benefits using a swap space larger than 2GB. Just make a 2 gig partition for swap and then mount the other partition somewhere else. (like /var or anywhere else that it would actually be used)

Hi, I’ve successfully installed openSUSE 11.3 with KDE. However, I could only install it on HDD which is connected to motherboard on PATA bus.
Now I need to get SATA controller with SATA HDD working. openSUSE does recognize both controller and HDD in Hardware Information, but in partitioner I can find it only in overview partition as dev2, without a bullet in front…
I’m Linux rookie, so can anyone give me step by step guide, please? :slight_smile:

Dragon_Bard, it is great to hear you got openSUSE installed and that further, the Partitioner can see your SATA disks. To create additional partitions, right click on sdb or sdb drive in the right window of the Partitioner and select a new partition. For systems that do not boot Windows, I normally format the drive to EXT4 type, but FAT32 is there if you want a Windows copy on the same machine to read it. You have got to select a mount point for each partition you create. For instance, I use /Windows for FAT32 or NTFS (When NTFS was created by Windows), I use /Software for all things Linux, like backups of all sorts AND I use /Multimedia for MP3 file, videos and the like. When you open up Dolphin and look at the main Directory tree, these added folder names you selected will appear. It will be up to you to direct software and file copies to these new folder locations you have named and created using the Partitioner.

Thank You,

I made one mistake. System can recognize only controller in Hardware information, but not in partitioner. The controller is
Intex SATA PCI card, 2+1 ports, w/RAID 0 1 function, based on VIA VT6421A chip.
On controller card I connected HDD Western Digital WD5000KS
Is controller SCSI device? Maybe that’s the key.
However, when I initiated SCSI it started searching network, and because it isn’t connected on network, it shows an error.

I use this computer only for Linux, so I use exp4 file system.

I made one mistake. System can recognize only controller in Hardware information, but not in partitioner. The controller is
Intex SATA PCI card, 2+1 ports, w/RAID 0 1 function, based on VIA VT6421A chip.
On controller card I connected HDD Western Digital WD5000KS
Is controller SCSI device? Maybe that’s the key.
However, when I initiated SCSI it started searching network, and because it isn’t connected on network, it shows an error.

I use this computer only for Linux, so I use exp4 file system.
openSUSE treats SATA and SCSI both as /dev/sd? where the ? is a or b or c and so forth. The default openSUSE file type is called EXT4 or ext4. So, if the Partitioner only shows your IDE controller that is bad. I would run the fdisk terminal command as follows and post its output.

su -
fdisk -l

I read some info about using your SATA VIA VT6421A card and there where lots of complaints I see. One indicated that if you have only one drive connected, it must be on the first connector only. I saw another who said the SATA drive needed to be jumbered to a slower speed such as SATA150, so look at you hard drive options for this. The Partitioned has got to show the drive before you can use it.

Thank You,

Hi,

I’ve reconnected HDD to another connector, that appears to be the first, and now it’s working.
Well I’ve never seen that coming. The connectors aren’t eve marked… Let’s see how long it will work. :smiley:

Thank you!

Hi,

I’ve reconnected HDD to another connector, that appears to be the first, and now it’s working.
Well I’ve never seen that coming. The connectors aren’t eve marked… Let’s see how long it will work. :smiley:

Thank you!
Hey Hey Hey, I love it when a plan comes together. More than one person mentioned you had to use the the first connector first, though that just means if the one you select does not work, try the other. lol!

I see that you are a relative new user in these parts, so I normally add a few more things at the end of a successful message thread. For more info on how the forums work, please check out the forum FAQs section at:

openSUSE Forums FAQ

In addition here is info on message counts and rewarding others when you get good help.

Forum Message Counts:

As you start or answer any message thread here in the openSUSE forums.

Puzzled Penguin 0-49 (new users start with this level)
Student Penguin 50-99
Explorer Penguin 100-249
Busy Penguin 250-499
Parent Penguin 500-999
Wise Penguin 1000-1999
Omniscient Penguin 2000

FYI here are the reputation levels:

As you reward another user for the help they have provided you using
the reputation icon is in the lower left of any message that you read
and looks like a star.

REPUTATION LEVELS:

User is infamous around these parts -99999
User can only hope to improve -50
User has a little shameless behavior in the past -10
User is an unknown quantity at this point 0-9 (new users start with this level)
User is on a distinguished road 10-19
User will become famous soon enough 20-149
User has a spectacular aura about 150-249
User is a jewel in the rough 250-349
User is just really nice 350-449
User is a glorious beacon of light 450-549
User is a name known to all 550-649
User is a splendid one to behold 650-999
User has much to be proud of 1000-1499
User has a brilliant future 1500-1999
User has a reputation beyond repute 2000

Thank You,