openvpn suppprt for proton vpn - kde

removed all the repos, but the home:avicenzi project repo

https://software.opensuse.org//download.html?project=home%3Aavicenzi&package=protonvpn-gui#manualopenSUSE

#### YaST2 conflicts list - generated 2022-05-23 01:03:20 ####

nothing provides 'python3-protonvpn-nm-lib >= 3.4.0' needed by the to be installed protonvpn-gui-1.5.1-lp153.6.1.noarch

opesuse 15.3 link - yast install

] do not install protonvpn-gui-1.5.1-lp153.6.1.noarch

] break protonvpn-gui-1.5.1-lp153.6.1.noarch by ignoring some of its dependencies

#### YaST2 conflicts list END ###

Nothing in yast. Searching the web for opensuse downloads or github

trying manual method.

#[FONT=monospace] zypper refresh 
Repository 'dvd' is up to date.                                                                                                                                           
Repository 'openSUSE:Backports:SLE-15-SP3' is up to date.                                                                                                                 
Repository 'home:avicenzi' is up to date.                                                                                                                                 
Repository 'packman' is up to date.                                                                                                                                       
Repository 'Update repository of openSUSE Backports' is up to date.                                                                                                       
Repository 'Non-OSS Repository' is up to date.                                                                                                                            
Repository 'Main Repository' is up to date.                                                                                                                               
Repository 'Update repository with updates from SUSE Linux Enterprise 15' is up to date.                                                                                  
Repository 'Main Update Repository' is up to date.                                                                                                                        
Repository 'Update Repository (Non-Oss)' is up to date.                                                                                                                   
All repositories have been refreshed.

#zypper install protonvpn-gui 
Loading repository data... 
Warning: Repository 'openSUSE:Backports:SLE-15-SP3' appears to be outdated. Consider using a different mirror or server. 
Reading installed packages... 
Resolving package dependencies... 

Problem: nothing provides 'python3-protonvpn-nm-lib >= 3.4.0' needed by the to be installed protonvpn-gui-1.5.1-lp153.6.1.noarch 
 Solution 1: do not install protonvpn-gui-1.5.1-lp153.6.1.noarch 
 Solution 2: break protonvpn-gui-1.5.1-lp153.6.1.noarch by ignoring some of its dependencies 

**Choose from above solutions by number or cancel [1/2/c/d/?] (c): **c
[/FONT]

Can opensuse 15.4 support protonvpn? Not a third party add on, but official support.

Yes, just as the current Leap version supports OpenVPN connectivity via NetworkManager. Read posts #13 and #17 again.

Yes, I finally got the openvpn connection to work. I did a ‘dns leak test’ on the web. It showed my location as out of state.

‘protonvpn c -f’ finds the fastest server and connects to it.

Since protonvpn won’t support opensuse 15.3 GUI, A GUI that supports this functionality. So far none presented are fully supported. The last one is missing a library to use it. That library requires another linux distro.

I’m asking for opensuse 15.4 (or 15.3) to support this functionality. ?

It would take me long time to understand and make it in bash. I’m already into other projects.

I have no idea about any third party GUI, but have you tried using NetworkManager for managing the OpenVPN connectivity?

If you look back over the messages, there several links to third party GUI’s. They all don’t work for various reasons.

It works, but only one connection at a time. You have look at protonmail vpn list. Then, pick the lowest load server. Then add it to the connection list. — The old cli ‘protonvpn c -f’ does this for you. — So if your connection gets too high a load, you need go back on protonvpn list and find another server. Then, set it up again. Repeating this process again and again with every new server you add.

An officially support gui for opensuse…

I get that…you need to direct your request to ProtonVPN regarding support.

It works, but only one connection at a time.

Ok, then be pragmatic and use the CLI.

I am not sure what “official” means here. Supported by vendor? Contact ProtonVPN, request them to provide and maintain package for openSUSE. Support by “openSUSE”? Nobody stops you from packaging this application for openSUSE. You do not need to start from scratch, start with existing projects and fix whatever problems are there.

The CLI ‘protonvpn --help’ is no longer supported.

I’ve send many messages to protonvpn. They will not be supporting opensuse now or in the future.

Repeating, protonvpn will not be supporting opensuse now or in the future.

Linux bash i’m a master at code, however, that will take a very long time and i’m already full with other projects.

Networking i’m only novice skill. I still can’t get my wifi router to work, weeks later I figure out it’s might be broke. :stuck_out_tongue:

I still can’t compile clamav from the C source code. I had to give up on ‘scanvirus’ C code version. Modifying a C code source that includes networking is far outside my skill set.

‘Officially’ means someone else in the community doing the work. I’m making a request for someone else to take up the challenge.

This thread may be of interest to you
https://github.com/ProtonVPN/linux-app/issues/21

Thanks for the link. Seems like months since any work has been done. It is easier to switch severs via the gui, so I’ll keep looking for it.

I setup one vpn server. On every boot, it requires the admin password then the kwallet password. Each new server would require disconnecting and entering both passwords again.

** alexandrevicenzi ** commented on Apr 7 | The package is available in development repositories, not in Factory yet.
|
For TW:
zypper addrepo https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/network:vpn/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/network:vpn.repo
For Leap 15.3:
zypper addrepo https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/network:vpn/openSUSE_Leap_15.3/network:vpn.repo
After just refresh and install.
zypper refresh
zypper install protonvpn-gui
Once the package is accepted in Factory I’ll post it here.
|

Looks like it will be supported in opensuse 15.4, maybe…

This current vpn server I use appears to average at a low % usage.

I’ve added the repo and refreshed it via yast. But when searching for proton-gui in yast, three other repos show up but not the new one. I assume I’m missing a step.

When you are in doubt of your the repos you have (and you seem to be), then please, please, please show the list.

zypper lr -d

Through networking manager, I was able to get a secure vpn connection. I used the ‘whatsmyip’ website to verify this.

Using tor onion to login to proton mail. Then get the vpn list. Find the lowest usage vpn. copy the username and password. Logout of protomail - tor browser.
Using Configure network connections within networking manager, use the add vpn file option. Following the prompts to add user name and password. Then delete data from clipboard. Exit networking manager. Click on the icon and enter the passwords. Rebooting sometimes required.

Thanks to all for the help. :slight_smile:

Now, I have to enter two passwords on every boot, but that issue i’ll save for another day.

I can verify that this works very well.

Also - Deano - do you know if there’s a protonmail app for OpenSuSE hidden in some obscure repository? (there seem to be many of these - like the ham radio repo rotfl! )

Hi
ElectronMail (see releases for an rpm… GitHub - vladimiry/ElectronMail: Unofficial ProtonMail Desktop App

There is a linux bridge for customers that have a protonmail paid account…

Thank you! It’s often hit-or-miss with these newer or ‘unusual’ packages.
I downloaded both electronmail and the protonmail bridge. Electron was
missing a dependency, although I verified in YaST that libXtxt6 is installed.
So it’s probably a ‘version number’ on the .so that’s wrong. So I guess I’ll
install it anyway (choosing to ‘break it’) then deal with the version number
issue if I can.

#### YaST2 conflicts list - generated 2022-08-22 11:58:49 ####

nothing provides 'libXtst' needed by the to be installed electron-mail-5.0.2-1.x86_64

] do not install electron-mail-5.0.2-1.x86_64

] break electron-mail-5.0.2-1.x86_64 by ignoring some of its dependencies

#### YaST2 conflicts list END ###

…so was protonmail bridge, but it was only missing a font, so I opted to “break”
it by ignoring this dependency. I’ll see if it works with Thunderbird.

BTW - do you know where the command-line utility “alien” went? Once upon a time, I had used this to convert Debian .deb’s to
Opensuse .rpm’s that actually worked.

Hi
Ahh you struck this issue… https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/572623-TIDAL-on-LEAP-15-4-successfully-installed

I need to update my package…