openSUSE will not clean install

I am having a problem getting openSUSE iso to clean install. I am trying from a DVD, burned at minimum speed from a Linux machine. The DVD installs fine to a VM as guest OS under Windows 7 - I checked this to ensure that the file was not corrupted.

DVD boots
Welcome screen comes up
Select “Installation”
Linux kernel loads
Install starts
“Please make sure your installation media is available”
Retry
Enter “Yes”

And I am in a loop.

I am certain this has been answered before but my Google-fu must be very week today. :frowning:

I have installed other distros on this machine and never seen anything quite like this. Any help appreciated.

You say install starts, how far into the install process have you got to? Also you haven’t ticked the add on from separate media? My first thought is a corrupted dvd but you say it works fine virtualized… Is you motherboard UEFI?

On Sat, 18 Apr 2015 11:36:01 +0000, johnwarr31 wrote:

> I am having a problem getting openSUSE iso to clean install. I am trying
> from a DVD, burned at minimum speed from a Linux machine. The DVD
> installs fine to a VM as guest OS under Windows 7 - I checked this to
> ensure that the file was not corrupted.
>
> DVD boots Welcome screen comes up Select “Installation”
> Linux kernel loads Install starts “Please make sure your installation
> media is available”
> Retry Enter “Yes”
>
> And I am in a loop.
>
> I am certain this has been answered before but my Google-fu must be very
> week today. :frowning:
>
> I have installed other distros on this machine and never seen anything
> quite like this. Any help appreciated.

What version of openSUSE, and what hardware are you using?

Jim


Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

windows 7 came preinstalled with a HIDDEN windows “recovery” partition
sda1
hidden from normal use in win7 OS

this DID and i guess is STILL causing problems

you could REINSTALL 7 without that hidden partition

or

do a CUSTOM!!! partitioning on OpenSUSE
taking note of that hidden recovery partition

do you have a old win7 OEM install dvd
( they WERE free ,when i got one YEARS ago , but now you have to buy them )

With Win7 now past it’s normal production life span and is ONLY now getting security updates
getting a disk from the OEM might be iffy

BUT
you should be able to get one from MS or other means
You WILL !!! need the activation code on the sticker on the computer

What version of openSUSE, and what hardware are you using ?

Using openSUSE 13.2.

System Information report written at: 04/20/15 08:25:46
System Name: ****
[System Summary]

Item Value
OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name ****
System Manufacturer To Be Filled By O.E.M.
System Model To Be Filled By O.E.M.
System Type X86-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core™2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66GHz, 2659 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. P1.80, 20/05/2011
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United Kingdom
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = “6.1.7601.17514”
User Name ****
Time Zone GMT Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3.19 GB
Available Physical Memory 1.47 GB
Total Virtual Memory 6.37 GB
Available Virtual Memory 4.38 GB
Page File Space 3.19 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Board: ASRock G31M-GS.(not UEFI).
Bus Clock: 333 megahertz.

There is no hidden Windows partition. There is an Ubuntu system (14.04) in a partition however.

The last thing I see is:

Starting udev
HAVGED starting up

then three green dots followed by the media message. :slight_smile:

Still unclear do you get the first menu?

What video card do you have?

The only menu I get to is the one where I select “install”. I have an Nvidia Gforce 7600GT graphics card. I have tried installing with no video mode set (F3 on the first menu ?) with the same result as above.

The the installer booted the problem happen onward. Is this a EFI install or MBR?

If MBR (legacy) there should be some selections at the bottom of the screen if EFI not.

Select nokms from the F3 (If I remember right) selection if MBR

If EFI press e to enter edit mode find line starting linux go to the complete end, it wraps. enter a space an nomodeset press F10 to continue this will use a more primitive but more compatible video driver. You will probably need to do this until you install the NVIDIA drivers

You of course checked the check sums of the ISO download and if installing from a DVD you ran the media check. Right

Also when haveing this kind of problem it is wise to run a memory check at least over night.

It is indeed MBR, and yes, I have tried installing with “nokms” selected with just the same result. md5 hash is fine. Media check is OK.

Actually I can’t run the media check because I can’t install openSUSE :slight_smile:

When this appears go to **Check Installation Media **option.

On Mon, 20 Apr 2015 16:36:01 +0000, johnwarr31 wrote:

> johnwarr31;2705908 Wrote:
>> It is indeed MBR, and yes, I have tried installing with “nokms”
>> selected with just the same result. md5 hash is fine. Media check is
>> OK.
>
> Actually I can’t run the media check because I can’t install openSUSE
> :slight_smile:

The media check is done from the DVD prior to installation…

Jim


Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

On 2015-04-18 13:36, johnwarr31 wrote:
>
> I am having a problem getting openSUSE iso to clean install. I am trying
> from a DVD, burned at minimum speed from a Linux machine. The DVD
> installs fine to a VM as guest OS under Windows 7 - I checked this to
> ensure that the file was not corrupted.
>
> DVD boots
> Welcome screen comes up
> Select “Installation”
> Linux kernel loads
> Install starts
> “Please make sure your installation media is available”
> Retry
> Enter “Yes”
>
> And I am in a loop.
>
> I am certain this has been answered before but my Google-fu must be very
> week today. :frowning:

Yes, I have heard of this problem a few times over a decade, and I never
knew exactly why. :-}

I think it is caused by somehow the install system not recognizing the
DVD, or having problems to mount it. Cycle through the text terminals
(ctrl-alt-f1, f2,… etc). Some of them have logs, and maybe there is
some error listed there that gives a clue.

You could try installing from an USB stick instead of the DVD. You have
instructions on how to create the stick on the help link of the download
page.


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” (Minas Tirith))

When I select “media check” I see EXACTLY the same as if I selected “Install” :frowning:

On 2015-04-21 12:06, johnwarr31 wrote:

> When I select “media check” I see EXACTLY the same as if I selected
> “Install” :frowning:

You could try on your virtual machine: boot it from the dvd, and choose
check media. But my guess is that it will say that the media is OK.


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” (Minas Tirith))

On Tue, 21 Apr 2015 10:06:01 +0000, johnwarr31 wrote:

> hendersj;2705928 Wrote:
>> On Mon, 20 Apr 2015 16:36:01 +0000, johnwarr31 wrote:
>>
>> > johnwarr31;2705908 Wrote:
>> >> It is indeed MBR, and yes, I have tried installing with “nokms”
>> >> selected with just the same result. md5 hash is fine. Media check is
>> >> OK.
>> >
>> > Actually I can’t run the media check because I can’t install openSUSE
>> > :slight_smile:
>>
>> The media check is done from the DVD prior to installation…
>>
>> Jim
>>
>>
>>
>> –
>> Jim Henderson openSUSE Forums Administrator Forum Use Terms &
>> Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C
>
> When I select “media check” I see EXACTLY the same as if I selected
> “Install” :frowning:

Sounds like some sort of failure of the media, because the media check
should check the media, not do an installation.

Jim


Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

Start by checking your memory modules. Faulty memory can cause such a trick.

He doesn’t say media check started installation. He said media check failed in the same manner as installation failed.

I think media check loads the kernel and that seems to be what fails here.