openSUSE Suspend to RAM and Suspend to Disk

On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 16:50:22 +0000, cjcox wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-02-04 at 16:40 +0000, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 12:56:01 +0000, growbag wrote:
>>
>> > Suspend to disk works, but is (in my opinion) completely useless as
>> > it (as Uwe said) mostly slower than a normal shutdown and boot.
>>
>> Odd, I use it in openSUSE 11.0 on a couple of laptops, and I find it is
>> faster than a shutdown/reboot.
>
> Especially since it brings back the apps in their current state as well.
> I guess if nothing is going on, it’s debatable why you would suspend to
> disk in the first place.

To save battery power. I found it very useful when I was traveling a lot
to use S2D. S2R still draws power, and laptop batteries are kinda
unreliable as it is.

> Booting takes less than 1:30 minutes (usually) in a worst case scenario
> (lots of drivers, etc)… is that really unacceptable?

The only time my boot times are unacceptable is when the system decides
to fsck the filesystems. I know I can change the settings so it doesn’t
do that on a fixed interval at boot time, but I reboot my systems so
rarely that I never think of it until I actually am sitting through the
fsck.

> Why would one have to boot up faster just to put something
> incomprehensible on their facebook page? :slight_smile:

Well, if you want to do that, that’s what a mobile device is for. :wink:

Jim

• Chrysantine wrote, On 02/04/2009 10:16 AM:
    > You’re still a fanboi >:)

Ha! Says the girl with the Steve Jobs centerfold under her pillow! <G>

Uwe

The suspend to disk, seems to work much faster with 11.1 AMD64, than 10.3 using i686.

That said, I still find it useful and quicker under 10.3, because it gets context back faster, and reboot + login + application start, is the real comparison, not just boot time.

If it’s “completely” useless, I’d investigate the disk i/o performance of the swap partition.

Bingo! I use all ASUS motherboards on all PC’s. 3 of them are brand new AM2 socket with either Athlon Dual or Quad core. I run a number of different video cards, on one I use the inbuilt Video of the new ASUS AM2 Motherboards and suspend to RAM fails on all and Suspend to Disk fails on the Quad core

suspend/resume is not only due to driver issues, it goes deeper as Linus said in this 2.6.29rc3 mail, and I quote

But the most interesting part (at least for me) of the driver update is
likely the continued fixing of the PCI suspend/resume handling, which for
me now finally results in a reliable suspend/resume on one of my laptops
(admittedly I still have an X problem, but the discussions on the exact
way to fix that are still on-going, and it’s technically a userlevel
problem that will likely result in a kernel change just to make the DRI
interfaces not be as fragile).

We have historically been in a situation where suspend/resume often works,
but may not be reliable due to interrupt timings, especially if there are
any shared interrupts going on between drivers. We already had some parts
of the suspend/resume changes in -rc1, but I hope it’s approaching more
stability now.

In the longer run, the changes will also allow us to simplify a lot of
device drivers thanks to the code PCI driver code doing more of it for
us, but that’s a largely independent later cleanup issue. ]

The thing about suspend/resume though is that partly exactly because
it’s been very fragile historically (a driver may have been totally solid
on one machine for example, but flaky on another due to different
interrupt configuration), I’m not going out on much of a limb when I say
that we’ll really need user feedback on any drivers that now don’t
suspend/resume cleanly.

LKML: Linus Torvalds: Linux 2.6.29-rc3

Yes, but Linus has been talking about cases where it works unreliably, that he’s been debugging.

Often the drivers prevent one of the features ever working at all. Also the ACPI & BIOS might be a reason, if the box doesn’t support the screen re-display that is needed. He’s appealing there for info about cases where it doesn’t work, so it’s good if ppl expect it to, and file bug reports (unfortunately filing against the latest development kernel is likely more useful than SuSE kernel).

When it does work well, the features are very nice & convenient.

On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 19:36:02 +0000, robopensuse wrote:

> The suspend to disk, seems to work much faster with 11.1 AMD64, than
> 10.3 using i686.
>
> That said, I still find it useful and quicker under 10.3, because it
> gets context back faster, and reboot + login + application start, is the
> real comparison, not just boot time.

I’ll have to give 11.1 a whirl. I’ve been waiting to let the initial
issues shake out, but it’s probably time to start playing with zypper dup

• in vms, of course. :wink:

> If it’s “completely” useless, I’d investigate the disk i/o performance
> of the swap partition.

Yeah, I’d agree with that.

Jim

Yes I truly understand it is very hardware dependent however
I HAVE CREATED 3 BUGS NOW WITH ALL THE HARDWARE INFORMATION WHERE S2RAM DOES NOT WORK - THE REPLY IN ALL CIRCUMSTANCES IS TO MAKE INVALID AND TO DIRECT ME TO THE NET PAGE THAT HAS ALL THE S2RAM OPTIONS FOR HARDWARE AND NONE OF THEM HAVE HELP RESOLVE THE ISSUE.

I WANTED TO PROVIDE THE HARDWARE ENVIRONMENT WHERE S@RAM DOES NOT WORK BUT EVERY TIME I BUG REPORT IT WITH HARDWARE INFO ITS REJECTED WITHOUT DIALOG AS INVALID AND I AM NOT GOING TO EVER TOUCH THAT SUBJECT AGAIN - CLEARLY NO ONE CARES - TRUST ME IN YOUR SEARCH AND YOU WILL FIND ALL MY BUG SUBMISSIONS. SCOTT - alpha096@???>:)>:(:open_mouth:

i have just installed the new driver on my suse 11.0 installation.well i have to say that i did not see any difference so far in its performance.i think i should try using some heavy effects and see what it can do

Hi,
I have problem with both suspend to disk a and suspend to ram. When I suspend, the system disable Knetwork and get stuck. I need to power off manually. The problem was exactly the same on 11.3 and now is repeating with a new 11.4 installation.
Eventually, with no open program, the suspend success.
I installed the /boot partition in a separate partition reserved to it.

I have a HP dV7 4102sl with an ATI radeon HD 5700. I installed the proprietary driver for the ATI.
I appreciate any help. Thanks.

Michele - I hope I spelled it correctly,

Suspend to Disk and Suspend to RAM have come a very long way since it started with *KDE V3.*x
I am assuming you are using a default KDE session - Please let me know if this is not what you have installed.
The earliest versions of both suspend sessions were plagued by errors which were part Video Drivers and part KDE V3.x
The earliest bug reports on both suspend sessions were poorly managed and were closed as WONTFIX with the reply to
use different switches in a trial and error situation.
It was as bad as ‘Alpha’ software applications and much worse the 'Beta
It was problematic, unstable, impossible in X_64 and a nightmare to get more than 1 suspend sessions to work next to each other.

The start of KDE V4.x was the first real chance in getting both suspend session to really work
Can you tell me if you have installed the ATI specific drivers or do you use build services to add the ATI Repository?
If you have not added the ATI Repository, chances are both suspend sessions will work with a bit of fiddling.
Can you copy and paste the system information.
This will give me all the info on your hardware and what is currently driving your Video Card.
Just copy and paste the output from the following entered into Konqueror.
You can find this as a menu option in a default KDE Installation under the menu heading of
'Computer>System Information’ Or enter the following in a Konqueror address line.
sysinfo:/
If you would rather talk via private email this is o.k -
Scott

Hi,
My system info are:
Processor (CPU): Intel(R) Core™ i7 CPU Q 720 @ 1.60GHz
Speed: 933,00 MHz
Cores: 8

Total memory (RAM): 3,8 GiB
Free memory: 68,9 MiB (+ 2,0 GiB Caches)
Free swap: 3,9 GiB

System: openSUSE 11.4 (x86_64)
KDE: 4.6.00 (4.6.0) “release 6”

Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc
Model:
2D driver: fglrx
3D driver: ATI

I installed the driver using the command sh ./atidriver-installer-10-3-x86.x86_64.run
and installing the driver in the gui application
I did add the ATI repository in the last installation of opensuse 11.3 but the problem were still happening. So in this 11.4 installation I haven’t installed any ATI repository.

Did suspend work with the default drivers?

The default driver was barely working. All screen was noisy. I immediately installed the driver, so I haven’t tried. I’m also using a second display on HDMI.

Nice bit of kit you have there and thanks for the system info!
Please excuse me - but I sort of have to ask
Please add the following repositories if they are absent in your list
ATI
Main (Source)
Main (Contrib)
Main Non OSS
Updates (OSS)
KDE (Extra)
KDE (Update Apps)

Open Office for the hell of it
After all the Repositories have been added go to Yast>Software>Online Update.
Now the ATI repository have been added, you will find an auto install of the correct ATI driver.
There will be many other auto updates so please install everything from Online Update!
Many people think they have to choose the Video Driver from the list when this is an auto update and installs
the correct driver for you without having to find it.
Try S2DISK and S2RAM - Let me know the output and please give me the full PC Product Type.
HP ??? OR DELL???OR IBM???..If your PC was custom built please give me the motherboard info and the ATI Video Card info
…Scott

Suspend to Disk and suspend to Ram always worked for me on:

Sony Vaio VPCEB3J1E, Intel Core i3, 3 Gb RAM, Intel GMA 3500, Intel Wlan, OpenSuse 11.4

and

Lenovo 3000N200, Intel Core Duo, 2 Gb RAM, Nvidia GeForce 7300 Go, Intel Wlan, Opensuse 11.3

on the 2nd, the Lenovo it only works with the closed source Nvidia driver from the repositories. The Nouveau driver, which is included by default can suspend, but the computer does not wake up afterwards.

on the Sony it works without any tweaking, straight out of the box.

Ah, and the desktop also can suspend in both ways, to RAM and also to disk. But here the same goes for it as with the Lenovo Laptop: it only works with the closed source Nvidia driver. In the desktop there is also another graphics card, an Intel GMA 4500 and with this card it also suspends without any tweaking straight out of the box.

Hi Scott,
After adding all repository the online Update asked to me to install:
ati-fglrxG02-kmp-desktop - ATI “fglrx” driver kernel module
x11-video-fglrxG02 (which should be the application for the video card managing)

The s2ram is now working :
switching from vt7 to vt1… succeeded
fbcon fb0 state 1
fbcon fb0 state 0
switching back to vt7… succeeded
while s2disk is fail
s2disk: Could not stat the resume device file. Reason: No such file or directory
but the button (Suspend to disk) works even if introduce error in display settings (the second display disappear)

The ATI driver is nice but looks not perfectly integrated in opensuse because the desktop settings can interfere with the ATI settings. Moreover the red display number remains visible all time you edit something or suspending and you have to take it of manually from the application.

However what I need is working now and I’m happy with it.

My laptop is an HP dv7 4102sl with standard hardware:
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor DMI (rev 11)
00:03.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev 11)
00:08.0 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Core Processor System Management Registers (rev 11)
00:08.1 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Core Processor Semaphore and Scratchpad Registers (rev 11)
00:08.2 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Core Processor System Control and Status Registers (rev 11)
00:08.3 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Core Processor Miscellaneous Registers (rev 11)
00:10.0 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Core Processor QPI Link (rev 11)
00:10.1 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Core Processor QPI Routing and Protocol Registers (rev 11)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset HECI Controller (rev 06)
00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset USB2 Enhanced Host Controller (rev 05)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio (rev 05)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev 05)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port 2 (rev 05)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset USB2 Enhanced Host Controller (rev 05)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev a5)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 5 Series Chipset LPC Interface Controller (rev 05)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset 4 port SATA AHCI Controller (rev 05)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset SMBus Controller (rev 05)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Redwood [Radeon HD 5600 Series]
01:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc Redwood HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5600 Series]
02:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11b/g LP-PHY (rev 01)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 03)
7f:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor QuickPath Architecture Generic Non-Core Registers (rev 04)
7f:00.1 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor QuickPath Architecture System Address Decoder (rev 04)
7f:02.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor QPI Link 0 (rev 04)
7f:02.1 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor QPI Physical 0 (rev 04)
7f:03.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Memory Controller (rev 04)
7f:03.1 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Memory Controller Target Address Decoder (rev 04)
7f:03.4 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Memory Controller Test Registers (rev 04)
7f:04.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Memory Controller Channel 0 Control Registers (rev 04)
7f:04.1 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Memory Controller Channel 0 Address Registers (rev 04)
7f:04.2 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Memory Controller Channel 0 Rank Registers (rev 04)
7f:04.3 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Memory Controller Channel 0 Thermal Control Registers (rev 04)
7f:05.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Memory Controller Channel 1 Control Registers (rev 04)
7f:05.1 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Memory Controller Channel 1 Address Registers (rev 04)
7f:05.2 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Memory Controller Channel 1 Rank Registers (rev 04)
7f:05.3 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Memory Controller Channel 1 Thermal Control Registers (rev 04)

Thank you guys!

Hey zczc2311, in relation to your tendency to use large fonts and/or bold fonts and/or upper case: using all caps is like shouting, making them bold is like screaming and making them huge and bold is like Sensurround sound at 700db. I know you didn’t know that so there’s no criticism implied here, it’s just that I thought you’d like to know for the future.

Be well, be cool (and be quiet LOL).
swerdna

My Appologies for using very large fonts - This was never my intention - Just a simple error in not using the advanced editor and previewing my post.
With respect to my comment
“*Please discount yourself if you work for Suse.de or Novell.de
When S2RAM and S2Disk were first made possible around 2008 there were multiple multiple bugs open where S2RAM and S2DISK did not work for over 80% of users - They were all closed as WONTFIX or WORKSFORME.with the reply:-
Spend time using different switches and in different combinations until suspend works. Please feel free to examine bugzilla for bugs created in 2008 Release.

The closure of bugs users created as a result of suspend failed with the reply to use trial and error, just to make it work was ludecrese! The responsible person for thease bug closed all bug reports with the action change of either WONTFIX or WORKSFORME.
It was declaired bug free from the team and Quality Manager accepted this acction code.

You can now see why that in 2008, when the project QA and Assignee performed the above action I did not want to taint the real users world - nothing more nothing less - but my sincere appologies for mistakenly using large fonts

I am very happy suspend is now working for you - With Suspend to disk make sure your swap file is larger than 10GB. Suspend to Disk and Syspend to RAM use part of the SWAP file space to store the past session. Try making your SWAP partition bigger than 10GB and I think you will be a winner with with S2RAM and S2DISK,

Glad we all could help, but the way you if you have any more problems you really should use mailing lists rather than forums - Not that any of us mind helping out when we can

Scott