openSUSE Software site seems to be missing results

Searches at https://software.opensuse.org appear to yield incomplete results.

For example, doing a [ALL Distributions] search for “mariadb” (and clicking down into that package listing) shows absolutely nothing for Leap 15.3 and no listing for the package in the standard repos for Leap 15.4. Yet zypper shows the package in both the Main Repository and the SLE Update repo:

zypper se -sxt package mariadb
Loading repository data…
Reading installed packages…

S | Name | Type | Version | Arch | Repository
—±--------±--------±----------------------±-------±------------------------------------------------------------
i+ | mariadb | package | 10.6.10-150400.3.17.1 | x86_64 | Update repository with updates from SUSE Linux Enterprise 15
v | mariadb | package | 10.6.9-150400.3.14.1 | x86_64 | Update repository with updates from SUSE Linux Enterprise 15
v | mariadb | package | 10.6.9-150400.3.12.1 | x86_64 | Update repository with updates from SUSE Linux Enterprise 15
v | mariadb | package | 10.6.8-150400.3.7.1 | x86_64 | Update repository with updates from SUSE Linux Enterprise 15
v | mariadb | package | 10.6.7-150400.1.4 | x86_64 | Main Repository

Another one is “apache2”. There isn’t even an exact match shown in the initial search results. Yet, it exists:

zypper se -sxt package apache2
Loading repository data…
Reading installed packages…

S | Name | Type | Version | Arch | Repository
—±--------±--------±--------------------±-------±------------------------------------------------------------
i+ | apache2 | package | 2.4.51-150400.6.3.1 | x86_64 | Update repository with updates from SUSE Linux Enterprise 15
v | apache2 | package | 2.4.51-150400.4.6 | x86_64 | Main Repository

Is this just an issue with my understanding of how the search is supposed to work?

The search facility for software.opensuse.org is, unfortunately, rather broken at the moment. There are several bug reports about the issue.

This is just one for example:
1197103 – Searching 'apache2' does not return any results

Okay. Thank you.

I too often forget to search for bug reports before posting unnecessary noise. I have now bookmarked bugzilla.opensuse.org. Hopefully, that will help me remember.

For package search in non-standard repos, after checking in standard repos without finding what you seek, try installing and using opi instead of software.opensuse.org.

Thank you for that suggestion.

I installed opi and gave it a quick try. It does not provide enough information about the results it found for me to determine what, if any, package name is the one I want. It is therefore, for me anyway, of very limited use.

Sidenote: According to my understanding of the regular expression used in the search_published_binary function, it is supposed to filter out “-devel” and “-doc” packages. It does not.