OpenSuse Set time to zero in grub and default booting OS is Windows - how to rectify problem

Yup, it’s dev6

I found /mnt/boot/grub2/grub.cfg (I was under impression I use grub, not grub2)

What’s next?

A little birdie tells me that it is sda6.

In that case, from the Rescue prompt, mount root (/), in your case sda6:

mount /dev/sda3 /mnt

Mount the other devices:

mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev

Then, chroot:

chroot /mnt
mount -t proc proc /proc
mount -t sysfs sysfs /sys

You then should be able to launch Yast with just:

yast

It should allow you to use the GUI Bootloader tool to fix Grub. Change the timeout in there and reboot.

There is a command line method for doing this, as well. If you want, I will also give you the way to do that. For that, we also would have had to know which is your root partition, so no efforts have been wasted on your part.

BTW: I like your style. Yep, a tool is very handy, but learning and exploring is even more fun and educational!:slight_smile:

Hi Gerry,

The commands you provided worked like a charm. I was able to start yast and I configured the timeout to a larger value. Just to be on the safe side, I also changed the default booting OS to Linux and now it’s all as expected.
I also came across a bug, the yast looked bad on my display, there were areas where the text from the console behind appeared on top and it was quite confusing to navigate in the bootloader. Probably a command “clear” issued before starting yast would have helped a bit.

If it’s not too much trouble for you, maybe you can add in here the commands to do all manually (just for reference, hoping it may help others).

Warm regards from hot Australia!
Nick

Fantastic! So now you are up and on your way!

… and, you learned a lot, even picked up some info by looking at that other instruction guide for arch, even if it did not work.:):good::good:

Well, the more I learn new stuff, the more I forget the old stuff :slight_smile:
At least, in case I’ll make again such a silly mistake, I hope I’ll find these posts…

OK, so now let’s clarify what should be the setting I attempted. My initial problem was that I had the timeout for grub set to about 5 seconds. I found out that by the time the system was prompting me (for five seconds) to select an OS to boot, I was long distracted by other things, so I wanted to let grub wait indefinitely there, for my decision. Since timeout set to 0 did not do it, then I have to set the timeout to -1, which I will do right now (and it’s working!).
You mentioned a way to query enable the shift button during grub startup - I am pretty sure I won’t need this option from now on - would have been nice to be implemented by default.
Can you please provide details how to do it? If I spent that much time today with grub, I can deal with this as well.

If any developers are looking in here (to improve grub), I would find nice to have an option that will make the system beep when it reaches the point to ask the user for OS selection. I have two computers and while waiting for the Linux machine to boot, I look at the other screen and I easily miss the point where grub asks me to select an OS.

Thanks,
Nick

Yes, the -1 is the setting you were looking for.

You mentioned a way to query enable the shift button during grub startup - I am pretty sure I won’t need this option from now on - would have been nice to be implemented by default.

That is by design. That is used by first changing a configuration switch to HIDE the Grub menu, which you do not want in your case. Then, since it is hidden, when you need to access the menu, a trigger key is set by adding a few more lines in a configuration file that allows you to UNHIDE the HIDDEN Grub menu. This would not have helped with your problem.

What it is good for is to boot immediately to the default system, then when you want to boot to a different OS, or want to add something temporarily to the boot command line, you hold the Shift-key and do your thing. My system is set up that way, since 99% of the time I just want to boot straight up into openSUSE, but now & then I want to boot to CLI or else to the Windows OS, etc.

Can you please provide details how to do it? If I spent that much time today with grub, I can deal with this as well.

Yes, I will show that to you. But, tomorrow, I am now way past bedtime and too tired to continue.

If any developers are looking in here (to improve grub), I would find nice to have an option that will make the system beep when it reaches the point to ask the user for OS selection.

That option is available, I believe, just turned off. I will look up my notes and tell you what that is when I have had some sleep.:wink:

Just to tide up the loose ends. Initially I could not run “umount” command. I found out that if I went inside the directory, by

cd /mnt

, I had to get out of it with

cd .. // or with
cd /

in order to be able to run

umount /dev/sda6

On 20/12/15 18:06, NickFi wrote:
ay with grub, I can deal with this as well.
>
> If any developers are looking in here (to improve grub), I would find
> nice to have an option that will make the system beep when it reaches
> the point to ask the user for OS selection. I have two computers and
> while waiting for the Linux machine to boot, I look at the other screen
> and I easily miss the point where grub asks me to select an OS.
>
> Thanks,
> Nick

You can edit ‘/etc/default/grub’ config file and you wish will be
granted. :slight_smile:

Uncomment to get a beep at grub start

#GRUB_INIT_TUNE=“480 440 1”

Just don’t forget to run the grub update command afterwards.
:~ #grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

Yep.

Oh (and darn) I was just coming back to tell you I remembered where to set the beep, only to see that Peter beat me to it.>:(

Thanks Peter,

I had a hard time editing the file. Eventually I opened it with vim (which is not my ideal editor). After remembering (after two reboots :slight_smile: ) to run grub2-mkconfig, it worked, now I can hear the beep just before Grub displays the options. I’m happy with that and I am really impressed that the developers did what I asked even before I made the suggestion!

Nick

You should have a simple editor not sure what is default in leap but nano or joe should be there. Either are simple and easy with plenty of on screen help

Yeah, nice of them, eh? I remember way back then when one Dev said to the other Dev: “You know, one day ol’ Nick from Australia is going to ask us for a beep. Maybe we should put it in there for him.”
lol!

… well, you could have booted into the GUI and opened Terminal Super-User Mode and launched KWrite from there, then used it to open & edit the file.:wink:

… also, instead of cd to the directory, you could have stayed where you were and instead could have issued:

ls -l /mnt

:wink:

If you are still interested, see here (but, as I said, since you had a zero time-out, it would not have helped in your case), post #5:
https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/503110-13-2-how-to-have-a-true-efi-booting

Keep in mind that you will need to run

grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

afterwards.