openSUSE Rocks!!!

A long-time Windows user, I recently took the free-OS plunge. Been using openSUSE for about a month now, and don’t plan on ever stopping. I came to Linux on purpose, and found openSUSE by chance. No this isn’t some sappy love story…more like a sick twisted tale of addiction.

In my spare time I’ve been developing a mod for an id Tech 3 based game. Well after finally reaching some milestones, I figured for craps and laughs I should compile it for Linux. But I’m stubborn and spoiled by Visual Studio, so if I was gonna go through the pain of setting up cygwin/mingw, why not just set-up a distro on my old laptop. (If you’re gonna smoke something, you might as well inhale :wink: )

So a total noob, I thought to myself, “I’m willing to bet there’s decent documentation if there’s a sizeable community for a distro.” Of course following that assumption I went with Ubuntu. Unfortunately I didn’t fit their “one-size-fits-most” mentality of distro packaging, and completely against my first assumption, I was slapped with forum-centric support->meaning hours of endless searching through unrelated forum posts still not finding out why an app wasn’t even starting (and no I wasn’t trying to run an .exe file<-for all the trolls that might read this).

Figured I had wasted 2-3 days already trying to do the Penguin thing, one more couldn’t hurt. Bam, stumbled upon openSUSE 11.2. Was immediately impressed and that impression keeps getting better the more I use it. First a couple of weaknesses, followed by a multitude of strengths versus other distros. (C’mon, gotta save the best for last).

My frustrations:
1. Log files. Seriously I filled up my root partition with 2 log files. Messages and warn. I’ve read 'em and most of the junk is from stuff I’ve installed, haven’t gotten around to using, and therefore have not configured yet. That as well as hardware for which I was missing drivers after the initial install. I feel there should be a better way to manage these without having to manage them, if that makes anysense.

2. The alphabet soup of laptop hardware. Sorry, as far as I’m concerned, I don’t own a rv250, or a BCM4311. My laptop has a Mobility Radeon 9000 chip, and a Dell True Mobile 1300 wireless card. Easy enough to get over, and I know it should be that way inside the dev world, BUT outsiders shouldn’t be made to educate themselves about freaking chip part numbers, especially when their BIOS reports it differently.

3. Out-of-box display control sucks. SaX2 works wonders, but accessing it isn’t very intuitive and you can’t do much without it. As a Windows-convert, I expect it to be accessible from either YaST or the standard-rights Control Center.->Nope, it’s obscurely under Applications tucked down the screen in the catch-all System category.

Out of these 3, only #1 is the one I feel has really irritated me and that I shouldn’t have to deal with it. Even if it’s my set of hardware/software circumstances that creates the scenario under which it happens (which is the case.)

NOW for the Good Stuff:
1. Guided Install. Easy, informative, yet empowering. I had some say in the process but wasn’t forced to specify every single option possible.
2. Software Setup. Again, it’s easy and informative. It doesn’t treat software setup as simple as Ubuntu does, because let’s face it…it’s just not that simple.
3. Wiki-centric documentation. It feels as if you’re getting information that teaches you how to do something, rather than just command lines crapped out of somebody’s butt into a forum post. Not to mention you don’t have to learn all the stupid buzzwords people throw around inside of forums to make themselves look important.
4. YaST. It really gives a new user the feeling that they can have control over their setup/environment as just a normal user without having to become a system administrator.
5. MONKEYS…no I mean Mono. A self-taught ASP.Net developer, I’ve had plenty of business ideas just never found away around the $2k+ per license cost for Windows Server to deploy them. .NET wipes the floor with Java and PHP in my opinion. Sure, learning Mono’s quirks versus stock .NET requires a bit of patience at first, but no pain no gain.
**6. AppArmor. ** Enough said.

Long-term…I think openSUSE has the most going for it of any Linux distro out there. To me at least, it’s the most flexible, the most interoperable, and the most empowering distribution out there. Using it doesn’t make me feel like I’m too stupid to learn it coughUbuntucough or so painful that I am somehow “doing penance for my Microsoft sins,” coughDebiancough. Ironic how those two distro’s share the same code genetics lol!

I’ll still need and use Windows for some things, and I’m not ashamed of it. My opinion is those dedicated to truly free software need to also practice the principle of freedom of choice, even if that means choosing non-free software. It’s also a huge part of building a truly “inclusive” rather than “exclusive” community.

Huge thanks to the openSUSE project team and Novell. If my financial situation was much improved I’d be able to properly show it. Until then, you’ll just have to deal with the uber-long forum post. openSUSE really is Linux for open minds.

Welcome to our forum, and welcome to openSUSE.

In case you have not stumbled across it, here is are some links that you may find useful:

lol ! I’ve done that. rotfl! … Last time I did that, I had a print job stuck in the queue that was generating a zillion errors. I filled up a 1.5 TB hard drive in about a day ! So be certain to keep your print queue clean. :slight_smile:

I have a bug report on the Radeon9200 for openSUSE-11.3 milestone7. 3D graphics do not work on 11.3 M7 for the Radeon 9200 pro, but they do work on the latest Fedora-13. So Fedora are doing something right that we need to figure out on openSUSE. :slight_smile:

One of the 1st things I do when booting to a liveCD, or after installing openSUSE, is add on my desktop an icon for a “terminal” session and an icon for “yast”. Note you can even run “yast” from a terminal, which is a BIG advantage (IMHO) over tools available to other distributions when running in a terminal session.

Good luck with your Linux effort, and once you get settled in, I’m sure the community would love to have you contributing your expertise.

What more can I say? A warm welcome, enjoy !

GNXT38 wrote:

welcome, enjoy!

> MY FRUSTRATIONS:
> 1. Log files. Seriously I filled up my root partition with 2 log
> files. Messages and warn. I’ve read 'em and most of the junk is from
> stuff I’ve installed, haven’t gotten around to using, and therefore have
> not configured yet. That as well as hardware for which I was missing
> drivers after the initial install. I feel there should be a better way
> to manage these without having to manage them, if that makes anysense.

yep…has bitten most of us along the way…its a kind of
darn-if-you-do and darn-if-you-don’t kinda tightrope…

the more errors and troublesome actions captured to a log the better
it is when troubleshooting time comes…the flip is (of course) the
more that is logged the faster the disk fills [and, if you have not
yet done it, TRY to avoid ever filling a disk, because since to Linux
_every-thing is a file, it dies a horrible death if it can’t write to
disk—ask anyone it has happened to…]

so, one of the system administrator’s duties is to anticipate disk
space needs and ‘manage’ log files by setting up their automatic
archiving, rotating and aging out (deletion)…

also, you can manage what gets written to log, and what does not…

you might ask: how is a new user supposed to know all of that? :wink:

DenverD (Linux Counter 282315)
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
posted via NNTP w/TBird 2.0.0.23 | KDE 3.5.7 | openSUSE 10.3
2.6.22.19-0.4-default SMP i686
AMD Athlon 1 GB RAM | GeForce FX 5500 | ASRock K8Upgrade-760GX |
CMedia 9761 AC’97 Audio

Yeah I found out how to solve/manage the problem from the forums before I posted…just seemed to “ranteriffic” to put it out there as an honest criticism without knowing really how to handle the problem.

It’s good to be here though and I hope to contribute with some bug-reports and possibly some marketing ideas.

GNXT38 wrote:
> Yeah I found out how to solve/manage the problem from the forums before
> I posted…

it was not my intention to say you shouldn’t rant on it…but, rather
to note that (unfortunately) there is an awful lot one needs to know
instantly upon install (actually, before install, see for example:
http://tinyurl.com/yhf65pv and http://tinyurl.com/ycly3eg)…a LOT
more is needed than can reasonably be expected…

i think all of the folks here know that…most also know that it is a
few magnitudes easier to get going today than it was just ten years ago…

> It’s good to be here though and I hope to contribute with some
> bug-reports and possibly some marketing ideas.

as mentioned, you are welcome!

bug reports go to:
http://en.opensuse.org/Submitting_Bug_Reports

and marketing ideas to
http://forums.opensuse.org/community/opensuse-marketing/

but, i will mention if i may without insulting your intelligence that
failure to operate like whatever your background is not always a bug,
it might be considered a feature! :wink:

DenverD (Linux Counter 282315)
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
posted via NNTP w/TBird 2.0.0.23 | KDE 3.5.7 | openSUSE 10.3
2.6.22.19-0.4-default SMP i686