opensuse repeatedly asks for root password while accessing NTFS partitions on internal HDD

It’s kinda annoying.
I type the root password, it lets me access those partitions. But if I restart the computer and try to access the same NTFS partition again, it asks for the root password again.
http://s14.postimg.org/ixv1ed8i9/snapshot6.jpg

As you can see above, “Remember Authorization” is checked, and “For this session only” is unchecked. But it still doesn’t remember the authorization after a restart.
How do I solve this? Please help…

Yes, that’s by design.
Polkit remembers the password for a maximum of 5 minutes, just like sudo does. But the dialog might be a bit misleading regarding this…

How do I solve this?

You basically have two options:

• add an entry to /etc/fstab to mount your partitions

You can do this in YaST->System->Partitioner, select the partition, click on “Edit”, enable “Mount partition”, and choose your preferred mount point, or add a line similar to this to /etc/fstab manually:

/dev/sdb1            /windows/C           ntfs-3g    defaults              0 0

The partition is then mounted during boot already, and always accessible by any user.

• allow users to mount system partitions without a root password, by adding the following line to /etc/polkit-default-privs.local :
org.freedesktop.udisks2.filesystem-mount-system yes

Then run “sudo set_polkit_default_privs” to apply the change.

hii wolfi,
Of all the methods you posted, “YaST->System->Partitioner, select the partition, click on “Edit”, enable “Mount partition”, and choose your preferred mount point” looked easiest to me.
I tried it, and it worked!
The system no longer asks me for the root password while mounting my Windows partitions.
Thanks for your help, issue resolved :slight_smile: :good::good::good:

PS: I’m having another problem, opensuse refuses to play certain video files. I’m starting a new thread, please see if you can help me with that…