openSUSE on HP Stream 11

Does anyone run openSUSE 13.1 or 13.2 on a HP Stream 11? I was planning to buy an Acer C720 which I am familiar with, but the HP offers a bigger drive and faster processor for the same price. HOWEVER I heard that drivers for the GPU and ethernet are not yet available for Linux.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

It both say they use the onboard Intel graphics GPU. It should work. Note that the Acer is a chrome book is does run a Linux kernel The HP is a Windows machine With 8.2?? any how the touch hardware may or may not work in Linux But on a quick look I don’t see the specs for that so…

Yes I have run openSUSE on an Acer Chromebook. I thought that ChromeOS was too restictive. As for Win 8.x, my last Microsoft venture was Win95 and it will be gone as soon as Linux boots. However I watched a video that suggested that there was no Linux driver for the ethernet port.

Bad news. The post http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2246532 indicates problems with both the built-in Broadcom BCM43142 card and the touchpad. I suppose it’s unrealistic to expect Microsoft to sell HP a cheap version of WinDoze for a machine that is Linux friendly. Restrictive business practice? Oh no! Free enterprise!

I think I’ll get the Acer C720 which is Linux-friendly.

On Tue 18 Nov 2014 03:36:02 PM CST, ionmich wrote:

Bad news. The post HP Stream
indicates problems with both the built-in Broadcom BCM43142 card and the
touchpad. I suppose it’s unrealistic to expect Microsoft to sell HP a
cheap version of WinDoze for a machine that is Linux friendly.
Restrictive business practice? Oh no! Free enterprise!

I think I’ll get the Acer C720 which is Linux-friendly.

Hi
That would probably be the broadcom-wl package from packman, but you
really need the hardware for someone like Larry Finger to help…

Cheers Malcolm °¿° LFCS, SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12 GNOME 3.10.1 Kernel 3.12.28-4-default
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!

For what it is worth, I have had the best luck over-all with running openSUSE on Acer Laptops.

Hi,

I would like to do the same with an Asus chromebook (C200MA-KX002) as it seems like people keep having issues with the hardware of the Stream laptops. Do you mean that you had a dual boot (Chrome OS/ OpenSUSE), or did you wiped the whole hard drive? Where can I find a tutorial or anything? All the info I find is about Crouton which allows to install Ubuntu in dual boot.

Thanks

Hi,

Did you get it? If so, how did it go?