openSUSE Newb Here... Can't Access My Own Files?

Hi, I am a brand new openSUSE user. Normally, I use Puppy Linux and Quirky Linux as my main operating systems, but I wanted to get involved with a more mainstream distro for other projects I have in mind. I chose openSUSE. It looks and works great!

The problem for me in getting started… After installation, I copied and pasted all my files into a folder. But when I went to open the files and start work (I’m a writer) openSUSE will let me open and read the files, but I cannot modify them! I think this has something to do with a root password? Which of course I know nothing about. Anyway, the folder is locked and I can’t access my own files and start work! What kind of nonsense is this? Do I need to learn to sign in as root in BASH, or what? How do I access my own files? Any help with this will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Please be more explicit about what you did, do and see. Who is the “you” there? A normal user? Where dit you put it, saying "a folder is not very informative. All files go into a directory (or folder if you prefer that word). Which directory and how and from where.

And how do you open the file? Which what can you read them and how/why did you come to the conclusion that you can not write to them?

Did you check the ownership and permissions of (at least one) file?

Do you know that you own the files ? how were they copied?? Note that the user ID is the key to ownership. Is the UID the same? openSUSE defaults the first user UID to 1000 some other OS may use a different UID as the first user or maybe you set a different UID.

Hi!

What desktop environtment did you installed? KDE? Gnome? Xfce? …
what openSUSE version you installed?

How did you copied your files? from an external HD?
You still have the files in the original place?
What kind of files are? Some error message in the screen?
Can you provide some screenshot?

All files are mine, with the exception of a few html files I downloaded from the Internet, which I save for my own reading later. All pictures and videos are mine, too.

After installation, I signed in and copied my files from a USB stick into my Home/Documents folder, created for me by default upon installing openSUSE.

I find I cannot work with my text files. I click on them, they open, I can read them, but cannot work in them. I can put an insertion point in there, but when I press keys to start typing it types nothing into the file. I can’t work in my own files? Wow!

I haven’t checked permissions. I did not assume I would need permission to work with my own files. I copied the files from one computer onto a USB stick and from the USB stick to this computer with the new openSUSE installation. If I need to change permissions, how is that done? Do I change permissions in Quirky Linux (where they originated from) before transfer or after they are transferred? Does changing permissions on the documents folder change permissions for all folders and documents contained in that folder?

Or do I simply need to learn how to log in as root so I can get to work? It is my understanding Ubuntu no longer allows users root permissions. Is openSUSE something like Ubuntu?

If the UID does not match they are NOT your files. Ownership is only through the UID. Because you think you own them does not mean they have the correct UID to match the new UID from openSUSE

Use **ls -n *** to see the true UID

You can use chown to reset the UID to the new one on the new system. The default UID used fir first user is 1000 in openSUSE. Not all distros use that as a starting number

Hi Blackfish
If you open the Dolphin filemanager and go to the appropriate folder, right click on one of the files you think is yours and click on Properties (at bottom). You will get a pop-up with 2 tabs ‘General’ and ‘Permission’. Click on ‘Permission’ and you will see who owns the file and who can read and write. If the owner matches you username then they are your files and you just need to change the permission to allow you to write to them.
Normally you would have that ability automatically (if they are yours) so something may have happened in the transfer.