OpenSUSE LXDE 11.3 (java help)

So after toiling over my Pentium III 599MHZ with 192MB of RAM for the past so many days I finally have settled on an operating system. It took several hours to get the LXDE suse version to install.

Now that its installed I was wondering how to go about getting java working.
What package should I download; rpm, .tar.gz, or is there a repository that will give me java without any hassle?

If I do need to install manually (since firefox said it could not find a java plugin), what directory should I install to and what exact directory should I place my symbolic link for Firefox.

I’ve seen on other distributions, several plugin folders under mozilla and Firefox directories so thats why I ask.

I have another issue that occured. I opened Firefox and went to a site that caused a popup from Firefox wanting to update Flash. However somehow after Flash had started updating,all of a sudden Suse was trying to update several packages. I don’t really know how it happened but if anyone knows what Im talking about I would like to stop that from occuring in the future as I do not want all my hard drive space being consumed by programs I dont want.

Also, any tips from you LXDE users out there to help me along would be awesome.

Thanks alot everyone.

I have a couple of new questions. On the LXDM login screen it says “LOGIN” in great big letters. How do I get rid of that lol.
And second is the monitor settings dont want to stay at 1024x768. When I shutdown or restart the system changes my settings back to like 1920x1080. Thats too small for me and I just want the settings to stay at what I change them to.

aldistuck wrote:

> Now that its installed I was wondering how to go about getting java
> working.
> What package should I download; rpm, .tar.gz, or is there a repository
> that will give me java without any hassle?
>
It is available in the repos and you can install it with yast.
Search for java-1_6_0-sun, there is also a package with the same name and
plugin at the end - this is what firefox needs.
About the update of the flash - no idea what that triggered, someone else
will probably know.

Sorry forgot, you need the non-oss repo for sun java.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

> I have another issue that occured. I opened Firefox and went to a site
> that caused a popup from Firefox wanting to update Flash. However
> somehow after Flash had started updating,all of a sudden Suse was trying
> to update several packages. I don’t really know how it happened but if
> anyone knows what Im talking about I would like to stop that from
> occuring in the future as I do not want all my hard drive space being
> consumed by programs I dont want.
>
open YaST -> software managger for th first time and let it install the
required files, once done it stop

VampirD
No in elenath hîlar nan hâd gîn
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.12 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with SUSE - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

iEYEARECAAYFAkxl6dQACgkQJQ+0ABWtaVmW2QCgod5bur0dXt+efvggYIY3S6G/
vPwAn2GlTLpUDJW/yvDROzwhBNYrjBCC
=KQBa
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

I must be doing something wrong. I added the non-oss repo. I searched for java-1_6_0-sun and java-1_6_0-sun-plugin. I installed both.
Ive restarted the PC a few times since then. I can open a java control panel. Under advanced tab in command to launch default browser, it points to “/usr/bin/firefox”.

I open firefox, look at the plugins and I dont see java plugins. I see the IcedTea plugins among other plugins. If I type “about:plugins”, IcedTea show many java things all enabled. I dont know if IcedTea is the same thing as what I thought I was getting from the non-oss repo.

At anyrate, Firefox or Play Free Online Games, Internet Games, and Free Games | Pogo Games still says I have no java runtime. If I goto Java Tester - Home Page it never shows the java app.
I cant find a mozilla or firefox folder that contains a plugins folder on this version. Instead I have a browser-plugins folder in /usr/lib that seems to be holding plugins. In that folder is a javaplugin.so file among other plugins. javaplugin.so is the exact name.

Im lost on what to do at this point. I havent found where the java-1_6_0-sun and java-1_6_0-sun-plugin are installed. Not sure what I would do with them if I could find them at this point.

What am I missing? Thanks,

If you have java why do you need icetea??

I didnt install IceTea, I think it must have installed automatically on me at somepoint. I only searched and installed Java from the non-oss repo.
IceTea may be part of my problem. It doesnt seem to be working anyway since the sites Im going to say I dont have java installed.

I need help figuring this out though, thats for sure.

Iced tea is installed because it is open source. amd somewhat is compatible with java

I uninstalled the IceTea java from yast and that made the sun java show up in firefox and now Play Free Online Games, Internet Games, and Free Games | Pogo Games is loading the java games. So atleast thats working now.

This is where you will find many knowledgeable people who answer all sorts of questions on apps,
Applications posting here will help you find answers to questions about apps. Multi media is here http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-help-here/multimedia/

I managed to where the lxdm themes were located: /usr/share/lxdm/themes. I wanted to remove the “LOGIN!” on the login screen.
I went into the Industrial directory located in the themes directory and saw a login.png. At that point I opened up a paint program on suse and created a small transparent background, named it login.png and replaced the original. Now I no longer see that giant “LOGIN!” text. Thought I would share for anyone who didnt know.