openSUSE locks up after unpluging the network cable on Toshiba Satellite C655D-S5200

Well, the title says it all. When I unplug or turn the computer on without a network cable, the system locks up almost immediately. Is/has anyone else experienced this issue? If so, what steps where taken to remedy the problem?

These are the specs of the laptop:

Toshiba Satellite C655D-S5200
AMD C-50 CPU, Dual Core, 1 GHz
3GB DDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6200
RealTek 802.11 a/b/g WiFi adapter
Attansic wired Ethernet controller

It would already help a lot if you told us which openSUSE version you use, 32bit / 64bit, and if you could tell us if the same behaviour exists when the laptop is booted from a LiveCD.

Another one: did you verify the install media you installed from, also please let us know what you installed openSUSE from.

11.4, 64bit, and the same behavior happens when booted from a LiveCD (in openSUSE, as well as Ubuntu, and Fedora). Media was verified, I installed from the dvd image downloaded from this site.

On 10/26/2011 11:16 AM, MissShauna wrote:
>
> 11.4, 64bit, and the same behavior happens when booted from a LiveCD (in
> openSUSE, as well as Ubuntu, and Fedora). Media was verified, I
> installed from the dvd image downloaded from this site.

This problem is not normal. My guess is that the ethernet interface is
generating an IRQ storm when the wire is unplugged due to some hardware problem.
Does the system unfreeze after you plug the wire back in? If so, do a

cat /proc/interrupts

If one of the entries shows a very large number, that is the interrupt at fault.

If the system does not unfreeze when the wire is plugged in, are the CAPS and
NUMLOCK lights flashing? If so, that is a kernel panic. To debug that, switch to
the logging console with a CRTL/ALT/F10 before unplugging the wire. The crash
dump will be displayed there. Take a picture of that screen, or write down what
is displayed, and file a bug report.

A workaround would be to blacklist the ethernet driver in
/etc/modprobe.d/50-blacklist.conf. That way you will be able to boot with the
wire unplugged. When you want to use the wire, you should plug it in, and then

sudo /sbin/modprobe -v <wired_driver_name>

When you are finished with the wire,

sudo /sbin/modprobe -rv <wired_driver_name>

Fixed it. The previous owner “mechanically agitated” it once and damaged the wired network adapter. So I went into the kernel and removed the driver.

On 10/26/2011 07:36 PM, MissShauna wrote:
>
> Fixed it. The previous owner “mechanically agitated” it once and
> damaged the wired network adapter. So I went into the kernel and
> removed the driver.

If you deleted the .ko file from /lib/modules/…, then the problem will return
every time your kernel is updated! If you blacklisted it as I said, then you
will be OK.

Debian 6.0 Squeeze fixed my Toshiba C655D-S5200 Linux issue.

What I did, was install Debian 6.0 Squeeze with kernel 2.6.32-5 as it supports the RTL-8188 network card driver. I’d bet a newer kernel will work as well, but 2.6.32 was an alternate kernel on my install CD. I used Debian Non-Free firmware, the RTL8192U WLAN Driver, and the latest AMD Catalyst Video driver package with admin software. It took a bit of tweaking but my Toshiba C655D-S5200 (wallyworld special) has been running Linux exclusively since September. The rtl-8188 wireless network card has run flawlessly to date, no apparent, loss of connectivity or slow connections.
Country Inn and Suites 807 Bank St NE, Decatur, AL
Before settling on Debian, I tried some other releases, Mint 11, Open Suse 11.4, Fedora 15, Xbuntu & Ubuntu 11.10, PCLinux OS 2011.6, and Cent OS 5.4. They would all hang on install, or install then fail to boot with a power off reset required. The only catch so far is that one Debian patch a couple months ago axed my vid drivers, but nothing hard to re-install. Debian Squeeze is cool and will do till the freezing error with Mint is sorted out.

I logged onto the board today to see if the ‘hang’ problem has been fixed. I’ve run Mint of several other laptops, love it and wanted to install it again.

note: I used the Raphael Hertzog single disk AMD-64 DVD as it comes with the non-free firmware and the 2.6.32-5 kernel as well. You could DL your own drivers and spin your own DVD.