OpenSuse Leap 15.4 -Proton VPN GUI with python3-jinja2 dependancy - application not starting/working

I tried to install Proton VPN GUI manually using the instructions and repository outlined below:
](openSUSE Software)openSUSE Software

Installation was interrupted because of a missing dependency of python3-jinja2

I managed to find and install it from the following location/repository below:

https://software.opensuse.org/package/python3-Jinja2
However, after installing python3-jinja2 the error still came up and said it was still missing. So I tried ignoring the dependency, installation completed, but now the app will not open. Any ideas or advice?

Does “pip list” show Jinja2? For me on Tumbleweed without installing it explicitly it does.

You could try deinstalling the package and installing it using pip instead.

Can you also list the exact error you got including the command Using Code Tags Around Your Paste

Thank you very much, I managed to uninstall python3-jinja2 first, install pip and then reinstall it. I was then able to install Proton VPN GUI successfully without any error messages. Only, the app doesn’t open, it just crashes. I will need to trouble shoot that next.

Update: after running protonvpn from the command line, I managed to troubleshoot and solve the rest of the errors by installing python3-pycairo, and python3-dataclasses

Now the thing works. Thanks again for your wonderful help!

Where have you installed the Proton GUI from? If it was package for openSUSE, you should really either open bug report or at least inform packager about missing dependency.

Yes, I would love to do that. So my next task will be to troubleshoot how to do that.

If you tell us where you got it from, someone may have an idea. The page you mentioned in OP is search result which points to a lot of different projects and we do not know which one you used.

Okay, thanks, I didn’t realize they were individual projects for the same thing, I thought they were mirrors of some sort.

I just checked the repository I used and it was this one- https://build.opensuse.org/repositories/home:tw_rocks_49/protonvpn-gui

Well, this is home project, so no bugzilla. You can mail user directly (on Users tab there is mail icon) or try to leave comment on the project page (you need to login, same user/password as here).

Okay, I managed leave a comment on the developers page, thanking him for his contribution and outlining the following steps I took to get it to work:

I had to install python3-pip, then python3-jinja2 to get it to install without any errors. Then I had errors running it, and these were resolved when I installed python3-pycairo, and python3-dataclasses, which were identified when running protonvpn from the command line.

Thanks for your help!