OpenSUSE is 11.2 is overrated?

Just because Novell is giving money and there is marketing… that is not fair. Ubuntu, same thing. But, at least the newest one has some improvements and works better on my older laptop.

But, I don’t understand why there’s any hype at all with OpenSUSE especially after their deal with Microsoft.

I guess because they have money to pour in and pay off people?

I can’t get simple things to work like wifi and a darn ATI driver that uses OPEN SOURCE drivers for crying out loud, to work. I guess a new repo would work but why is that not announced anywhere? Why is it so hard to get basic hardware to work?

I have less problems with Debian and even Mandriva’s hardware both wifi and 3D Desktop Effects work with my old, crappy, slow notebook. A Thinkpad, btw. Not rare or obscure hardware.

I perceive a culture or attitude of indifference so I’m going back to Debian and may even try Mandriva. I thought the culture of Ubuntu was bad.

Too bad, too… it looks good, both Gnome and KDE version and I believe you can install xfce in OpenSUSE, too? But, there are ongoing hardware issues that don’t seem to get solved or get any kind of attention. I have no choice, sorry my machine is so old but what can I do?

Why is it so hard to get basic hardware to work?

Stop buying trash, like ATi, and you won’t have issues. My setup works fine with 11.2 but then again I’m not running hardware from 1995 and complaining how it doesn’t work with releases from 2009.

The rest of your post is just the usual mindless drivel that pours from every yellow eyed Debian user.

Whatever.

Thinkpads are said to be the easiest to configure and with the most support not to mention I read someplace that IBM/Lenovo (Thinkpads) had some deal in which OpenSUSE was installed on them!

Anyway, I have an update: I got wifi to work by ‘creating’ a new wifi connection but it worked in way I feel is really really flaky. I still stick by my complaint. I am not confident in the wifi working in a stable, reliable way because of the way I had to configure it. It just worked all of a sudden and sometimes I am someplace where I can’t have a wired connection. I know wifi in Linux can be unpredictable and occasionally problematic but I need at least a configuration experience that doesn’t involve strange behavior and annoyances.

> Anyway, I have an update: I got wifi to work by ‘creating’ a new wifi
> connection but it worked in way I feel is really really flaky.

Glad to see you got it working.

As far as what can you do to improve your situation? Get a newer machine.
It’s a fact that OS’ eventually move beyond certain hardware. If your
machine is old and is supported better on another distro then I do suggest
you use the distro that works for you. By the same token, you also don’t
want to be too advanced since the latest and greatest hardware also often
does not work.

There is no way that any distro is ever going to support 100% of the
hardware you have so you need to find a balance between your budget and your
OS of choice and choose wisely based on those factors.

Lenovo user here. Flawless - 11.2 is a masterpiece.

Time to cut your teeth on solid food. And stop reminiscing about being spoon fed.

Thanks, I still intend to install to try it out.

You’re right. I would like a newer machine but gotta use what I have currently. Hopefully, in near future…

kpenguin wrote:

> Thanks, I still intend to install to try it out.

use what you like! i do…and everyone should…

even the folks who like MS, Mac or 1940’s manual Royal typewriters
should use exactly what they want to use!!

don’t like openSUSE then please do not use it–pretty simple, huh?

but by the way: if you don’t like openSUSE you can’t really expect the
people who DO like it to really care how you wanna change it to meet
your needs…

see how that goes?

speaking of going, see you around…bye.

btw: i have a son who prefers a lead pencil and eraser…that is ok by
me…and i don’t need him to tell me that what he likes is what i
should like…so stick around or leave, no skin off my nose.

palladium

Yeah, I hear ya. Well, I do like certain aspects which is why my attitude and opinion is what it is. I like a lot of distros, actually, and many have these minor issues or annoyances (for me, anyway! :slight_smile: ) that I do hope get looked at. Of course, I can’t expect others to see my p.o.v. although some might if they come across a similar issue.

Likewise, I can’t expect things done just for me! lol!

I happen to think some of these have to be considered minor and maybe they are ‘bugs’ or occasional but still exist?

I was hoping that some complaining might persuade or influence some feedback but probably not the best way. I can’t help it, I need to rant and go on the soap box sometimes. I do like to help if I think I know the answer or have an idea so I’m not all negative, okay? :wink:

I know your response is, in a nutshell, to each their own but we should aspire for improvement, always, right?

Ranting never solves anything. Spend the energy and time to define your problem(s), post about it, and people here will help you through. If they refuse bluntly, that would be a valid reason to rant, but this never happens.

I’m quite sure matters on your laptop can be solved as far as it does not concern ATI. Even then, your rant should go to AMD/ATI declaring your card a legacy one, that needs no 3D support from it’s makers…

kpenguin wrote:
> I know your response is, in a nutshell, to each their own but we should
> aspire for improvement, always, right?

absolutely! and with 307 (the last time i looked) distros at Distro
Watch there may actually be the exact perfect for you there…or, you
might give SUSE Studio a try, i’ve said before that maybe you go
there, custom build exactly what winds your watch and release it to
the world rebranded as a new distro named KPenguin and watch it zoom
from 308 to number one!!

palladium

See my sig ---------- works great here as well.
I would be careful saying that this and that fault is the fault of openSUSE, often the problem lies in the kernel or in KDE. EG a couple of kernels ago my wireless light went kaput, kernel fault. Knetworkmanager sucks, KDE fault.

openSUSE has been the best by far for a long time, and I have tried many distros.

@kpenguin
its bad that you are running into hardware problems,i cant help much there, but i must say OPENSUSE 11.2 nope not at all overrated. I am new to linux,say 10 months and this span of time was enough to check on various distros.

I have tried ubuntu 9.10,9.04 kub 9.10,9.04 xub 9.10,9.04 fedora 12,11. linux mint 8 and 7. sabayon 5.1. simply mepis 3.something.opensuse 11.1 and 11.2.

compared to previous buntus,this version is crappier,(just imagine fresh xubuntu running on 350 mb ram at startup,common! )

what makes a distro good is its ability to retain its user base over the years,and provide stability and reliablity,documentation,and also some bleeding software for the brave.:slight_smile:

I must say choosing a distro is personal,go with what detects your hardware well and you are more comfortable using it.

according to me and my hardware i came back to opensuse after venture with all, Simple. I dont care about whats the mother company dealing with treaties or pacts as long as they maintain it open-source.

overall absolutely no crashes so far, even ubuntu got stuck many times.gnome wise i find fedora 12 better and linux mint 8. KDE wise i find opensuse more stable,then sabayon(actually it did everything out of the box)didnt try mandriva,

Again you stick with whats best with you and your comp.

forgot to add, i tried mandriva 2009, which i shouldn’t even be talking about. It just refused blatantly,inspite of all my workarounds. they have a reason,they had a proper bug.

I think 11.2 has a lot going for it. I love the install DVD. Of course, with any distro, you are going to find things that aren’t perfect, no distro or OS is.

However, Like Debian (one of my all time favorite distros) Opensuse has it’s "best’ scenarios and it’s areas where it isn’t all sunshine and roses.

I always keep at least Debian, opensuse, CentOS, Mandriva and even buntu around. I am almost guaranteed to get a particularly squirrel-ly machine going fine with one of those.

Just my two cent,

Big Bear

I don’t think openSUSE is over rated. I do think, however, that there is room for improvement.

Now that you have the wireless working, bring up YaST and go to Software Repositories. Once there, click on add, which is found in the lower left hand corner of the Software Repositories window. You’ll see a list of radio buttons, of which the second from the top is Community Repositories. Tick that and click next. Once in the community repositories list, you’ll see ATI. The ATI repository will give you the ATI proprietary drivers.

While we can do better, it would be wise of you to ask for help instead of ranting. I started a thread in the general chit chat area you might be interested in reading. Another poinent rant brought to you be me - openSUSE Forums

if the lappy is as old as people say and contains an ATI card there is little OpenSuse can do to help it out in a new distro like this that remains current.

Pre AMD owned ATI cards were horrendous under Linux and worked sort of but in a limited way. ATI made it so some of the pre AMD owned ATI stuff worked but only went back to a small number of stuff.

Even with any card I prefer nVidia and find that it works pretty good under Linux so I won’t look at an ATI card on a computer.

I will say though if you have a ThinkPad this was always a useful site. ThinkWiki can help solve some problems or at least I could get things to work slightly better even if it was not fully solved.

ThinkWiki

How “old” is “old”? I mean, I’m using a laptop from arpimd 2004; outdated by computer standards but runs just fine for me! Much better than the Pentium I w/MMX I’ve got which I think is from 2000 (or earlier? :O)

Hey, I have a distro for you to try out; Windows 98! rotfl!

Seriously, though, If you are having so much trouble with multiple distributions then maybe it isn’t the distribution that is failing? It could be Linux as a whole, or hardware, or drivers, or something else!

Now if you said that everything else worked fine except openSUSE, that is a completely different situation.

I’m surprised you haven’t tried Fedora yet.

Last year I purchased a Dell Vostro A860, which came with a core 2 duo, 2 gig of ram and a 160 gig drive for $399! I had been in the market for a netbook and I did not like any available for the money, so I bought this instead. I have it formatted as Opensuse 11.2 64 bit, and I have a copy of VMware 7.01 loaded housing a 100 gig virtual Windows 7 32 bit. Everything works flawlessly! I even use my Lexmark 3500-4500 wireless printer through the VMware side, no issues! The Gnome GUI handles the built-in bluetooth and wireless cards with no problems. I know from experience trying Opensuse 11.1 and SLED 11 that KDE is an issue on this box, so I did not even bother to install it with version 11.2. I have another Dell which I run as a Windows based laptop, also with VMware installed and I run Opensuse 11.2 virtually on that box; both machines have their individual advantages and disadvantages and I am pleased with both units, but the laptop which is the most fun to use is the Vostro and its performance is as good as the HP I use for work which probably cost $2,000 and runs XP.

Having recently obtained a ThinkPad SL510 (Intel chipset, C2D T6670 @ 2.2), thank you for that useful link :).

It came with W7 Pro, but I haven’t yet installed openSUSE. Have hardly touched Windows since W95, so I thought I would experience a bit of W7 (plus openoffice) for a while and dual boot, maybe until the warranty runs out. However, it ran well immediately with 11.2’s KDE LiveCD (not tried wireless yet) and all vital components were detected, so I’m anticipating a full install will go well. At least the live CD makes the machine productive with key applications OOTB ;).

On the main topic, I agree with Jonathan_R’s post, particualrly:

I don’t think openSUSE is over rated. I do think, however, that there is room for improvement.
IMO, that’s the more balanced and honest appraisal at this point, taking into account the support infrastructure alongside the actual distribution.

I can’t understand a word of this post;