openSUSE image-based installation

Hello everybody.

I would like to finally change my suse 11.3 to 11.4, but I don’t want to go through whole installation process. I discovered that dvd with suse has /images folder. I prepared partitions on my second hdd and, in rescue mode, extract base.tar.xz, base-meta, common-base. I have no second pc to find solutions on the net if something goes wrong so I boot my suse 11.3 and I want to do rest in chroot. I’ve created fstab, added dvd as repo, installed kernel-desktop and mkinitrd. Also I had to edit /etc/sysconfig/bootloader (especially LOADER_TYPE from none to grub). But mkinitrd returned:

Perl-Bootloader: 2011-10-11 00:15:42 ERROR: Core::ReadFiles: Failed to open /etc/grub.conf

/etc/grub.conf in my 11.3 I’ve got:

setup --stage2=/boot/grub/stage2 --force-lba (hd0,2) (hd0,5)
quit

If I understand (hd0,2) is bootable partition (in my case sdb3, which is extended partition) and (hd0,5) is / partition. Is this right? Next question is: How can I generate menu.lst without YaST? I’m not enough familiar with work in chroot, so I want to know if I have to do any additional steps. Maybe there is good howto with that way of suse installation? I’d appreciate any help. I’m sorry for my poor english :slight_smile:

Kind regards, Matthew.

Gee, sounds like more work then simply installing or upgrading.

Yeah, the DVD has an upgrade option. The only thing to do afterwards is change non openSUSE repos and finish upgrading. Is there a specific reason for your method?

On 10/11/2011 03:06 AM, Coolmax89 wrote:
>
> I would like to finally change my suse 11.3 to 11.4, but I don’t want
> to go through whole installation process. I discovered . . .

then, what you want to do is called an “upgrade”, it preserves most (if
not all) of your system settings and installs the newer software…there
are two recognized and supported ways of doing that:

http://tinyurl.com/35p966c
http://tinyurl.com/6kvoflv

i count both of those as fine examples of what you wrote “Maybe there
is good howto with that way of suse installation?” but, not just
installation in general, but specifically for an upgrade…

the method you described is neither of those ways…i would suggest you
‘discover’ one of the supported ways to move to 11.4, believe me it will
be a LOT easier to do it the correct way than to try to recover after
doing it a wrong way…

please note that both of those supported ways to upgrade to 11.4 begin
from a backed up and well functioning and fully updated 11.3

DD
Caveat
openSUSE®, the “German Automobiles” of operating systems

On 2011-10-11 03:06, Coolmax89 wrote:
>
> Hello everybody.
>
> I would like to finally change my suse 11.3 to 11.4, but I don’t want
> to go through whole installation process.

Then use the upgrade process.

> I discovered that dvd with
> suse has /images folder.

And you intend to install from that, on a chroot partition? Wow. :open_mouth:

Good luck with that, and don’t forget to write a howto for us to learn how
to do it your way.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

Please don’t. Chances are that you end up with a borked system. Follow the others’ advice: use the upgrade mechanism

Ok, You win :slight_smile: I thougt I could “install” suse-minimal in chroot and after that install rest of needed packages. I also thought that doing everything manually I could learn something, but YaST is very huge and powerful, so it would be hard for me to grasp it. Image-based installation (but on coLinux) is mentioned in this article, so I was hoping this is possible and not difficult :slight_smile: As for upgrading - I never trust them. My 11.3 is not up to date, so there can be problems with upgrading. Anyway, thanks for advices.