openSUSE Guest in KVM-QEMU - networking not working

Host: openSUSE 12.2
Virtualization: QEMU-KVM

Have successfully created and run a number of Ubuntu 12.10 VMs.

Am attempting to build openSUSE 12.2 VMs first using the “Server minimal” desktop option, then a default Desktop insall configuration

Problem:
All openSUSE VMs have resulted in VMs which are configured to connect to a virtual network supporting forwarding to the Internet, but the NIC is not configured with a DHCP provided IP address. As described below, I re-configured DHCP addressing to static addresses resulting only in able to ping the DG but nothing else is working.

VM install options:
Server - Only file locations, nothing I can imagine would affect <only> networking
Guest - First build changed from “Desktop” to “Default” kernel. Unknown for now why this is an option when the QEMU CPU package is automatically selected by the install. Second build attempt left as defulat with no diff. All other selections left as default.

Virt install method:
Although for now I doubt this is a factor, consistent with a bug I’ve submitted I now notice that I can launch one version of virt-install from
Start > System > Virtualization > Create Virtual Machines for Xen and KVM

and from virt-manager
Click the “virt-install” icon

Both methods in this case result in the same problem… unable to pick up a DHCP address.

Have inspected:
Ran ifconfig which displays only IPv6 and MAC address info, no IPv4 address.
Run YAST to inspect the NIC device confiuration. Verified is configured as a DHCP client.

Successfully running Ubuntu Guest:
So, Inspected a working Ubuntu Guest’s network settings, is as follows which reveals that it’s connecting through the default virtual network setup by the initial KVM install and not the virtual networks I manually setup:

ipaddress 10.0.2.15 /24
DNS 127.0.1.1
DG 10.0.2.2

So,
I manually configured the openSUSE desktop Guest with similar network settings gving it an address with the same NetworkID (different unique HostID).

ipaddress 10.0.2.19 /24
DNS 127.0.1.1
DG 10.0.2.2

But, still not working.
Result:
Can ping the DG by IP address, but cannot connect to a resource beyond by IP address
(am not even looking that hard at DNS name resolution until IP only networking is working).

Hoping for any new ideas…

TIA,
TSU

Believe I’ve found my answer.

Although I thought I had setup “bridged networking,” despite no errors displayed anywhere it’s probably not working because at the moment I’m using a wireless NIC. Despite my earlier belief that wireless NICs may now be supported, that’s probably not true by default (although from what I’ve read the functionality is now included in all current kernels).

So, it seems that User Mode Networking which is the default type of networking supported when first installing KVM is being used for the Ubuntu Guests. It’s interesting that the Ubuntu guests apparently automatically discovered the only working Networking available but the openSUSE clients (and maybe the Win8 client I’ve also posted about) more strictly adhere to my configurations.

In fact,inspecting the available options for the Ubuntu and openSUSE Guests, it looks like the Ubuntu VMs can only be setup using User Mode Networking with no option for Bridged Networking(may be related to no currently available working Bridged Networking) and openSUSE insists on requiring some kind of configured Bridged Networking and does not support User Mode Networking.

So, it looks like I’m likely back to square one regarding another Forum Post I made, asking if it’s possible to run KVM without an active physical network even if I only need virtual networking between Host and Guest on the same machine.

Hmmmm… This might qualify for a Bugzilla report once I verify and research all the angles in this…

Tony

Minor Update:
I’ve been able to enable/force User Mode Networking for openSUSE clients only by removing all manually configured virtual networks.

Perhaps, User Mode Netowrking is automatically enabled when nothing else is possible.

All VMs that have been built configured for bridged networking cannot be configured for User Mode Networking using virt-managger. They may have to be discarded if they can’t be modified by CLI.

Note that my earliest attempts to create a VM without configured virtual networks resulted in an error similar to “Service Unavailable: port 5900” so at least temporarily creating a network may be required in some cases.

TSU

Check nat2bridge and bridge2nat included in package vmscripts in my repo.

http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/virtualization/479014-virt-manager-unable-connect-libvirt.html#post2494937
http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/virtualization/478648-opensuse-12-2-kvm-broken-error-hypervisor-not-running.html#post2489394