OpenSuse does not start after forcing reboot

Hi All,

this evening I started my Tumbleweed and it got stuck because btrfs balancing and snapperd something, after 4 hours where the computer was completely unresponsive and useless I simply gave from a terminal “sudo reboot” because I was exasperated but now it did not boot. It got stuck trying to remount root and kernel file system.

Since the moment I installed Suse I used it one time a week to do the homeworks of my son… This is like the sixth time I used it and I encountered a so annoying problem, I read that maybe depended because it was trying to create a snapshot… But honestly I believe it is impossible recovering anything, something got corrupted in the filesystem, the one that should be able to recover per-existent states.

If anyone of you has any idea on how recover the system I would be really grateful, I tried to use all the snapshot I found from grub but none of them worked, all got stuck with the same issue above; if the only solution is to reformat and install again Suse then this time I think I will pass, this was a serious fail, I haven’t seen something like that since many years…

Thanks

TW is really for advanced users IMO you should use the LEAP flavor since it does not change all the time. TW is in constant change and thus is more pron to problems that a casual user may not want to deal with.

Thanks, for your reply.
I think the OpenSuse is a great distro, a bit bloated for my tastes, however I prefer using a rolling distro; after this issue I don’t belive I am going to use Tumbleweed anymore, unfortunately I have not time like before to play with the distro, which is most funny part, so I have to renounce to use it… I am pretty sad… :frowning:

It likely tries to continue balance when it is mounted. You can try to manually mount it with “skip_balance” option. Then cancel balance using “btrfs balance cancel”. One way to do it is to use “rd.break=pre-mount” kernel options; it will stop and give you shell in initrd just before it would mount root. You can then manually mount root device on /sysroot (make sure to use the same option as normal boot). Exiting shell should continue boot then with mounted root.

Which is (as user gogalthorp hinted at already) exactly why Leap is a better fit for many users, who perhaps don’t have the technical aptitude and/or time to deal with such issues when they arise. Rolling distros involve frequent upgrades (essentially constantly changing distro version), which presents additional risk of regressions from time to time.