OpenSUSE does not boot into graphical interface

Dear all,

I am having a common problem - I did a regular update yesterday and today openSUSE does not load gnome anymore. I also installed some python packages provided by the openSUSE leap-repository, so it’s probably also the mixing of tumbleweed- and leap-repositories that is responsible for that. Anyway I was able to start yast from the commandline and deactivate the leap repositories, but I cannot update the system because without the graphical environment I even don’t know how to connect to my WLAN.

When I try > startx, I get the error message
hostname: Name or service not known
xauth: file /home/…/.serverauth.6996 does not exist

xinit failed. /usr/bin/Xorg is not setuid, maybe that’s the reason?
If so either use a display manager (strongly recommended) or adjust /ect/permissions.local and run “chkstat --system --set” afterwards

I don’t know what’s meant by that: should I change permissions for the .local file or change its content and if so, how? I’m afraid the more I do without knowing what I’m doing the more corrupt the system gets and then I probably won’t be able to restore it.

Now I don’t know how many times I had a similar problem already, out of a sudden not being able to get into gnome and having to fiddle around for hours to get it running again or even to reinstall everything. Is this openSUSE specific, I mean is this distro more sensitive in a way that a user like me, who is not a linux expert, can easily corrupt it by just trying to install a package from a non-compatible repository and during the following update it probably prefers the new repo and everything is broken? I guess a system should warn you before doing such a thing or simply not allow it? I am just aking because no one of my friends using Ubuntu ever reported me such problems before. Maybe they are simply more skilled or maybe openSUSE should only be used by experts…

Many thanks in advance!

You did chose TW which is cutting edge fast change thus more prone to problem. Maybe you need to drop back to leap

There is a problem in the last TW

https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2016-06/msg00113.html

Yes, you are right about that - it was stupid to use tumbleweed as a non-expert user only for the latest gnome desktop. If I get the desktop running again, I’ll search the web for a way to migrate the system to leap. Unfortunately I am quite limited from the command line to resolve that issue.

Run “pam-config --add --systemd” in text mode (as root), and your system should work again.

That not even the graphical system starts is specific to GNOME though.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! Never thought that issue could be resolved by a single command - I was afraid I had to fiddle around with the graphics card drivers as so often is the case with GNOME not starting. You saved me hours and probably even a completely fresh setup of the whole system. This forum is really great - can’t thank you guys enough for your advice for us soft-skilled linux users, I would never have found that solution in the web myself!