> I also found SLEDs repository strucuture SIGNIFICANTLY different (note
> upper case) from openSUSE and highly confusing for a user brought up on
> openSUSE. I searched but likely looked in the wrong places, as I never
> did find an explanation that helped me in understanding the SLED
> repository structure.

I’m curious: how is it different?

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

How different. Well different. I could never wrap my head around how SLED repos are setup. There was some sort of password protection (or encryption) associated with gaining access to it.

The standard openSUSE OSS, Non-OSS, Update for official and then a number of ‘unofficial’ of 3rd party/private repositories did not exist for SLED. If one is looking for a .src file for openSUSE there is a known convention as to where one goes for the appropriate files. SLED uses a different repository/src file storage convention.

The registration required aspect made the SLED repositories too much of a mystery for me, and in all due honesty, I don’t think I ever did get my repositories correct. I would struggle to find apps and also their corresponding spec/source files, etc … when wanting to custom compile.

A lot of that was simply ME in being unable to adjust to a NEW way of doing things. But to have the openSUSE interface familiarity in SLED,with a more shiny/slick implementation, but then to be blocked at the repository level was something I could never get used to. In the end I found it too frustrating. Its not as if I did not search for a guide, its more like I got too many hits and did not know which one was best to adopt. Probably a “SLED Idiot’s guide for oldcpu like fools” would be needed for someone like me to get my feet on the ground. But SLED is not intended for home users like me, but rather for office type setups where the administrator would be a GNU/Linux Guru who would know a LOT more than I about GNU/Linux and who would be motivated (as they are getting paid to be motivated) to figure out the SLED way of doing things.

SLED is the non-free, business version of SUSE. It is slow to move to new kernels and versions for stability reasons and to limit support costs. It is not intended for the Linux enthusiast and tinkerer.

There are some benefits we receive from Novell, like AppArmor. There may be more but I have not researched it very well.

Ditto on oldcpu’s comment on the office/administrator scenario.

If you wish to learn cutting edge Linux, openSUSE is the place to be.