openSUSE 42.2 Beta 1 - some "strange" behaviors

Sorry for opening a new thread !!!

If there will be one thread for openSUSE 42.2 Beta 1 then i would be happy if my post could be included in this thread!

Thank you very much !!!

=============================================================================

Today i installed openSUSE 42.2 Beta1 on two of my machines.

The installation was accomplished by using this image “http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/leap/42.2-Beta1/iso/openSUSE-Leap-42.2-DVD-x86_64-Build0164-Media.iso”.

Details on the two machines:

laptop:

• ASUS M70Vm
  • BIOS
  • Intel(R) Core™2 Duo T9400 @2.53GHz
  • 4GB memory
  • GeForce 9600M GS
  • Samsung LCD Display 1920x1200@60Hz
  • RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
  • Intel WiFi Link 5100 AGN
  • Samsung SSD 840 128GB (MBR partition scheme)
  • Seagate ST1000LM024 HN-M 1TB (MBR partition scheme)

desktop:

• Motherboard MSI MS-7918
  • UEFI
  • Intel(R) Core™ i7-4790K CPU @4.00GHz
  • 32GB memory
  • Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
  • Qualcomm Atheros Killer E220x Gigabit Ethernet Controller
  • Qualcomm Atheros AR93xx Wireless Network Adapter
  • Samsung SSD 850 256GB (GPT partition scheme)
  • Seagate ST2000DM001-1ER1 2TB (GPT partition scheme)

The installation went very smooth:

• boot installer from DVD (laptop: MBR, desktop: UEFI)
  • use “Expert Partitioner” to select three already existing partitions for SWAP, / and /home on the SSD
  • advice the installer to format SWAP, / and /home using ext4 for / and /home
  • skip network setup
  • setup one user (no autologin) and a root password
  • select KDE as desktop environment
  • laptop: install no bootloader (i re-configured GRUB2 from an existing openSUSE 42.1 on the same disk to start the Beta)
  • desktop: install bootloader with secureboot enabled
  • reboot
  • check repositories (everything is fine)
  • zypper dup (result: 20 new packages, 1 deleted, 5 updates, 1 downgrade)
  • reboot

I have not discovered any real problem so far but some strange “behaviors”. Although both systems were installed in nearly the same way the systems behave different:

1. By default the laptop was configured to use NetworkManager while the desktop was configured to use wicked.
  2. When i installed Thunderbird via YaST2 it would not show up in the KDE menu of the desktop machine (although there is a working thunderbird.desktop file in /usr/share/applications) login/logout and even reboot will not cure this. Only when i issue kbuildsycoca5 in a console the menu is re-build properly. When installing more applications the same behavior re-occurs.

Does someone experience the same?

And then there is something that happens on both machines:

When i select “shutwdown” from the KDE menu the systems starts to shut down. Then there is a KDE error message (small icon in the task bar - tells me that there was a plasma crash) but nevertheless the shutdown completes (so i cannot recover the KDE error message).

Nevertheless my overall impression of this Beta is very positive and i am looking forward to the final release.

Regards

susejunky

Ad. 1: that’s by design

Ah, i see. That makes sense to me but i have not seen it being mentioned anywhere (but probably i was not looking thoroughly enough).

Regards

susejunky

Installing Leap 42.2 Beta 1 (network installation) in a VM with an Ethernet cable as the only NAT pass-through network interface, the default set-up used Network Manger.

The current Leap 42.2 Beta 1 uses as default a fairly recent version of KDE Plasma 5. There is however a more recent version of KDE Plasma 5 which is available from the supplementary Repositories – KDE:Framework; KDE:Applications. I’ve been running the newest version only since today – no comment on long-term stability but, it’s looking good . . .

Wrong thread sorry.

Thank you very much for that hint!

I will add

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Qt5/openSUSE_Leap_42.2/
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Frameworks5/openSUSE_Leap_42.2/
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Applications/openSUSE_Leap_42.2/
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Extra/openSUSE_Leap_42.2/

and see whether that works (and probably cures the plasma crash on logout).

Regards

susejunky

Do not add this one:

It contains Qt 5.7, but the KDE packages are built with (and require) the Qt 5.6.1 in Leap 42.2.
You will get conflicts and break your system if you install Qt 5.7…

KDE:Extra is not strictly needed either, it contains additional KDE software not included in the distribution, or newer versions thereof (but 42.2 should be more or less current in that regard, with maybe a few exceptions).

Oh! Thank you very much!
You just saved me some hours of extra work.

Should i add the other repos

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Frameworks5/openSUSE_Leap_42.2/
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Applications/openSUSE_Leap_42.2/

to see whether moving to those repositories will stop the plasma crash on logout?

In the meantime i installed several more packages (compiler, kernel-source, more KDE applications and the like from Repos Oss, Non-Oss, Update-Oss und Udate-Non-Oss). The KDE menu now gets updated automatically on both machines. But i can’t tell which package made the problem (on the desktop) disappear.

Regards

susejunky

You can try, but I’m not aware of any fixes regarding a plasma crash on logout.
That said, the latest Plasma 5.7.4 from KDE:Frameworks5 doesn’t crash here, but 5.7.3 (which currently is in 42.2beta1) didn’t either.

And in the end, 42.2 will ship with Plasma 5.8 which will be LTS upstream but isn’t even beta yet.
KDE even changed their release schedule for us (5.8.0 and further bugfix versions will be released earlier than originally planned), and Leap 42.2 final has been post-poned for 2 weeks as well to be able to have a (hopefully) well-tested Plasma desktop.

KDE:Applications is of course only needed if you want to test the latest applications that will be part of 42.2 final (although in another bugfix version of course, it is still 3 months until the release… :wink: ).
In particular KDEPIM is apparently in a sad state in 42.2beta1 currently and better in KDE:Applications, but this will be rectified of course by further updates (that will hopefully make it to beta2).
The rest should be fine AFAIK.

And that shouldn’t have any effect on your Plasma crashes either…

In the meantime i installed several more packages (compiler, kernel-source, more KDE applications and the like from Repos Oss, Non-Oss, Update-Oss und Udate-Non-Oss). The KDE menu now gets updated automatically on both machines. But i can’t tell which package made the problem (on the desktop) disappear.

Hm, no idea either.
Probably some coincidence, the menu should be updated as soon as files are changed in /usr/share/applications/.

Well, so i better stay with the “standard” repositories (Oss, Non-Oss, Update-Oss and Update-Non-Oss) as long as no serious problem turns up which only could be overcome by using the other repos.

In the next days i will try to get my printer and my scanner running. Then i will be back here with more news.

Regards

susejunky

So here we go:

My network printer (HP LaserJet Pro M201n) is up and running with openSUSE 42.2 Beta 1. But in order to achieve that i had to include the repository http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Printing/openSUSE_Leap_42.2/. hplip from the 42.2 OSS-repo did not find my printer even when i did a manual install using the printers IP address.

Now only the scanner is left …

Regards

susejunky

hplip from the 42.2 OSS-repo did not find my printer even when i did a manual install using the printers IP address.

Because you need hplip 3.14.10 and 42.2 is shipped with 3.14.6.
http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/models/laserjet/hp_laserjet_pro_m201n.html

And Printing has:
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Printing/openSUSE_Leap_42.2/x86_64/hplip-3.16.5-138.1.x86_64.rpm

So no Problem with 42.2.

Thank you very much for that hint. Actually i was already aware of this (since i use openSUSE 42.1 where the situation is similar) but i want to make clear that i now no longer rely on Oss, Non-Oss, Update-Oss and Update-Non-Oss only.

Hm, … i’m afraid that’s not completely the case.

I can use the printer without any problems. But the HP Device Manager (in the system tray) keeps telling me that there is a “Device communication error (5012)” and does not show the status of the “Supplies” but “Printer Controll” works. I see this problem since openSUSE 42.1 but have not investigated it any further jet (I just keep forgetting. I use the printer only on rare occasions, not to say once a year when i do my income tax statement lol!).

Regards

susejunky

That’s strange. Can you ping the printer successfully by IP address?

You might also investigate further using the HPLIP diagnostic utility…

hp-check -t

Good to see status from CUPS perspective too…

lpstat -t

Yes. I can access the printers WEB-interface too. And - most important - i can print out off any application (at least the ones i use regularly like libreoffice, kwrite, okular, …).

For short here what was shown as errors:

error: 'libtool' package is missing/incompatible 
error: 'libgphoto2-devel' package is missing/incompatible 
error: 'net-snmp-devel' package is missing/incompatible 
error: 'sane-backends-devel' package is missing/incompatible 
error: 'python-devel' package is missing/incompatible 
error: 'python-xml' package is missing/incompatible 
error: 'libpython2_7-1_0' package is missing/incompatible 
error: 'cups-devel' package is missing/incompatible 
error: 'cupsddk' package is missing/incompatible 
error: 'libusb-1_0-devel' package is missing/incompatible 
error: 'libusb-1_0-0' package is missing/incompatible 
error: 'cups-devel' package is missing/incompatible 
error: 'libjpeg-devel' package is missing/incompatible 
error: 'dbus-1-devel' package is missing/incompatible 
error: 'python-gobject2' package is missing/incompatible

The complete result can be found here: SUSE Paste

I guess the “-devel” packages are only needed to build hplip (what i don’t want to do)? I shall have a look at the other “missing/incompatible” ones. But if those packages are really needed to run hplip then why does the hplip-package not enforce the installation of those packages (or at least rise a warning/error on installation)?

Here the result of that:

scheduler is running
no system default destination
device for HP_LaserJet_Pro_M201n: hp:/net/HP_LaserJet_Pro_M201n?ip=192.168.3.100
HP_LaserJet_Pro_M201n accepting requests since Sun Sep  4 18:24:14 2016
printer HP_LaserJet_Pro_M201n is idle.  enabled since Sun Sep  4 18:24:14 2016

Looks OK to me.

I just recognised that in my last post i gave the wrong error message (“Device communication error (5012)”). The correct message is:

The device is busy, powered down or unplugged. (5002)

Sorry for that!

Summary:

• HP Device Manager keeps throwing that “The device is busy, powered down or unplugged. (5002)” at me as soon as i open it up
  • HP Device Manager won’t allow me to print a status page
  • HP Device Manager won’t show me the status of “Supplies”

BUT

• i can print
  • i get notified when a print job starts or is finished
  • i can use HP Device Managers “Printer Control” (e.g. to start/stop the printer)

… and all this is the same in openSUSE 42.1.

Regards

susejunky

I just recognised that in my last post i gave the wrong error message (“Device communication error (5012)”). The correct message is:

The device is busy, powered down or unplugged. (5002)

Sorry for that!

Summary:

• HP Device Manager keeps throwing that “The device is busy, powered down or unplugged. (5002)” at me as soon as i open it up
  • HP Device Manager won’t allow me to print a status page
  • HP Device Manager won’t show me the status of “Supplies”

BUT

• i can print
  • i get notified when a print job starts or is finished
  • i can use HP Device Managers “Printer Control” (e.g. to start/stop the printer)

… and all this is the same in openSUSE 42.1.

Regards

susejunky

Yes, that reads like a regression to me (and it may be model specific). I did find a bug report somewhere that mentioned ‘/usr/share/hplip/data/models/models.dat’ containing an incorrect ‘staus-type’ value for a particular model. You’re best advised to submit a bug report for this.

Thank you very much for your help!

I had a look at ‘/usr/share/hplip/data/models/models.dat’ but have no idea what could be wrong so i decided to follow your advice and submitted a bug report: 997250 – HP Device Manager can't print testpage and does not show status of supplies of HP Laserjet ProM201n

Regards

susejunky