Opensuse 15.1 will be reinstalled

I ran zypper upgrade on my system this morning, and among the (many) items listed was:

Opensuse 15.1 will be reinstalled.

I can’t recall ever seeing something like this. I said yes to the upgrade and things went ahead. At the end of the applications upgrading, a posttrans script was executed, which I guessed was related to the reinstallation of the OS. I rebooted and things are fine. My question is: Why reinstall the entire OS? Instead, say, of discrete patching?

TIA

That’s pretty much the normal response to upgrade (as distinct from update).

The difference: with an update, some packages will be replaced by newer packages.

With an upgrade, some packages will be replaced by what is currently in the repo (whether newer or older), and some packages might be removed.

That posttrans script is run because one or more of the packages that you install called for that script to be run. But the runningn of the script is postponed to the end of the update/upgrade, instead of being done after the particular package.

I’m sorry. I was imprecise. I ran zypper update, not upgrade.

Okay. I don’t recall ever seeing that message with update. It is common with “zypper dup”.

The following product is going to be reinstalled:
“openSUSE Leap 15.1”

Retrieving package openSUSE-release-15.1-lp151.301.1.x86_64
Retrieving: openSUSE-release-15.1-lp151.301.1.x86_64.rpm

(2/4) Installing: openSUSE-release-15.1-lp151.301.1.x86_64 …[done]

This is what got re-installed - the release notes.

Odd. Here’s what I see:

# zypper update
Retrieving repository 'packman' metadata .................................[done]
Building repository 'packman' cache ......................................[done]
Retrieving repository 'openSUSE-Leap-15.1-Update' metadata ...............[done]
Building repository 'openSUSE-Leap-15.1-Update' cache ....................[done]
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...

The following 3 packages are going to be upgraded:
  dhcp dhcp-client libpcap1

3 packages to upgrade.
Overall download size: 1.6 MiB. Already cached: 0 B. No additional space will be
used or freed after the operation.

However, I don’t think there’s any reason to be concerned about it.

Looking more carefully, I see that the update included the package “openSUSE-release”.

Possibly updating that particular package generates the message. Checking here, I see that I installed that update a few days ago. I don’t recall that message. But I probably used Yast Online Update rather than “zypper” for that update.

OK. Thanks to all who replied.