<===> OpenSuse 13.2 vnc problems

I am trying to create a server to backup the PCs on my local lan. I installed LEAP 42.1 (KDE desktop) onto the server (i3/6100 CPU, 8Gb ram, 750 Gb hdd, The server connects to the Internet just fine. I am going to administer the server (it will be headless) from “the client” listed below.

So, I want to create a connection over the lan between the client and the server so that the client displays the server’s screen, and the keyboard and mouse control the server. I installed VNC.

The client that I’m setting up has: i5 CPU, 8Gb ram, 500Gb hdd and the OS on the client is OpenSuse 13.1 (fully updated) with a KDE desktop.

On the server, I choose “X11VNC Server” from the “system” menu. I then go to the client and key in: $vncviewer 192.168.1.5:0 (that is the address of the server, folks). Just as it should be, I see the server’s desktop and my keyboard and mouse function on the server properly. Yay!!!

BUT:

If, from the client, I quit this session, I can not restart the session without going to the server and again choosing “X11VNC Server” from the system menu. That defeats the purpose of trying to make the server headless.

I followed the instructions in chapter 4: “Remote Access with VNC”. I get the window drawn on the client’s screen, but I do not see the server’s desktop. Here is what displayed on the screen of the client:

Connected to RFB server, using protocol version 3.8
No authentication needed
Authentication successful
Desktop name "markn:0"
VNC server default format:
  32 bits per pixel.
  Least significant byte first in each pixel.
  True colour: max red 255 green 255 blue 255, shift red 16 green 8 blue 0
Warning: Cannot convert string "-*-helvetica-bold-r-*-*-16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*" to type FontStruct
Using default colormap which is TrueColor.  Pixel format:
  32 bits per pixel.
  Least significant byte first in each pixel.
  True colour: max red 255 green 255 blue 255, shift red 16 green 8 blue 0

Does anyone see the problem that I am having, and if so, can you suggest a solution?
Or, if you need more information, please let me know what I can provide for you, and I will post it.

Thank you,

Mark N

It is unclear what system menu? Did you set it up from Yast. If you run it from the menu it is a one time run. If from Yast it is setup as a service, which is what you want. You can run yast from command line

x11vncserver is very different than running regular vnc sessions, and should be installed only when trying to set up headless remote administration.

Uninstall xllvncserver

zypper rm x11vnc

Now, install (or possibly just enable) vnc server using YAST > VNC(remote administration)

Then, the single most glaring missing rom the documentation, change your Display Manager to something else (KDE’s default sddm does not support an xserver) (example lightdm) using
YAST > Desktop > Display Manager

Reboot and you should be able to connect immediately to display :1 for example the following where “server” can be an ip address or resolvable name

vncviewer *server* :1

HTH,
TSU

Thank you both.

I can’t explain why, or what changed (I didn’t change anything), but when I started the “server” today, there was tkx11-vnc running in the panel. (It wasn’t there yesterday…no, really it wasn’t there!) I am able to connect to the server by running:

$vncviewer 192.168.1.5:0

I quit the session and am able to start it again. That was what I wanted to accomplish.

Many thanks,

Mark

Good to hear.

In the future,
Remember that the x11vnc package you installed makes your deployment substantially different (although in most ways similar) to a standard VNC setup, so you’ll likely find the documentation for x11vnc more relevant.

Besides the online documentation
http://www.karlrunge.com/x11vnc/
http://www.karlrunge.com/x11vnc/faq.html

Everything in the above two links can be found installed as part of the x11vnc package (search for it, is in the /usr/share/doc/ tree)

TSU