openSUSE 13.2 Factory: NM and installation problems in July 21 iso

Hello,

I just did a zypper up from kernel 3.15.0-rc7-1-desktop to 3.16.0-rc5-1-desktop. Near the end of the upgrade process (1590 packages in all!) suddenly the Internet connection was lost and the taskbar shows “NetworkManager is not running” and there’s a red X over NM icon. I could not reconfigure the connection via YAST. Software Management shows that NM version 0.9.8.10-1.2 is installed. Interestingly, libNetworkManagerQt0 shows version number0.9 .8.1-1.2 in red color.
I then run dmesg | less through the terminal and it shows on Lines 655-673:

traps: Network Manager (703) general protection ip:46d08e sp:7fff66e17a0 error:0 in NetworkManager (400000+108000)

All other distros and Windows are fine with the Net.

After using another method to download and burn the July 21 Factory KDE64 iso to a DVD (MD5 is OK), I ran the disk in Live mode, with nomodeset boot option because the video card needs nvidia driver. The screen shows the same message given previously when running dmesg|less. Again I saw the red X over NM icon indicating that Network Manager is not running.

Also tried to install the July 21 Factory iso on the existing openSUSE 13.2 Milestone 0 root partition but after expert partitioning I had to abort the installation because of the following error message:

INTERNAL ERROR. Please report a bug with logs.
Details: NO BASE PRODUCT FOUND
Caller:/usr/share/Yast2/modules/Product.rb:118:in “Find Base Product”

The Installer tries to put Grub(2) on the root partition of another distro. Before today I have always been able to boot into 13.2 Factory (ext4 file system), via chainloading, from the Grub menu generated by the default OS called openSUSE 12.2 (Grub 1) in a multi-boot system, with no problems whatsoever.

Any suggestions? Thank you!

:frowning:

Hello again,

Some comments, corrections and clarifications:

1. I probably made a mistake when running “zypper up” instead of “zypper dup”.

2. In YAST > NetworkDevices >Network Settings, I reconfigured the wireless connection using “wicked” (formerly known as “wicd”??) and the settings are NOT greyed out, but still no Internet! Setting up connection via NetworkManager in YAST… is impossible because the settings windows are greyed out.

3. I burned the July 21 Factory Live KDE iso, not Factory DVD iso.

4. I take back the sentence about “The Installer tries to put Grub(2) on the root partition of another distro”. Actually, since the Installer automatically puts the root (/ sign) beside the root partition of another distro I had to edit and remove the sign from that partition. Then I assigned / to the root partition of the existing 13.2 Factory root partition.

Anyway, I aborted the installation. Now I am wondering if any of the following options is the best for me:

a) Re-install 13.2 Factory DVD (NOT Live) Build 0117 March 25, 2014 then “zypper DUP”

b) Burn 13.2 Factory DVD (NOT Live) July 21 iso and install it

c) Use July 21 Rescue CD. I don’t know how to make NM work using the Rescue CD!

Thanks for your help.

I suggest you browse through this thread in the factory mailing list. You may notice that other people are having some of the same problems.

Yes, that’s a mistake, though I am not sure whether it is a serious mistake.

1. In YAST > NetworkDevices >Network Settings, I reconfigured the wireless connection using “wicked” (formerly known as “wicd”??) and the settings are NOT greyed out, but still no Internet! Setting up connection via NetworkManager in YAST… is impossible because the settings windows are greyed out.

No, “wicked” is not a new name for “wicd”. It’s different.

Networking has been fine for me. But I am not using NetworkManager on my factory system.

Anyway, I aborted the installation. Now I am wondering if any of the following options is the best for me:

a) Re-install 13.2 Factory DVD (NOT Live) Build 0117 March 25, 2014 then “zypper DUP”

b) Burn 13.2 Factory DVD (NOT Live) July 21 iso and install it

c) Use July 21 Rescue CD. I don’t know how to make NM work using the Rescue CD!

Thanks for your help.

I attempted an install with the July 21 iso, and that failed. Your surest way of installing is to use the NET install iso, so that you are installing directly from the repos. I think you have to force a change to factory repos early in the install procedure.

The mailing list thread that I linked to above might have some hints on the NetworkManager problem.

I can also confirm the problem with internet connection during trying of openSUSE 13.2 KDE live iso (21. 7. 2014).

It is because of a bad libnl3-200. Someone in that Factory mailing list thread said that they downgraded it to 3.2.24 and that worked for me. I had to get it from http://software.opensuse.org/package/libnl3-200 http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/aevseev/openSUSE_13.1/x86_64/libnl3-200-3.2.24-1.6.x86_64.rpm

It works now for me. On reboot however the old .25 version came back and I had to reinstall the .24 and run NetworkManager as root however.

I tried to install “openSUSE-Factory-DVD-x86_64-Snapshot20140721-Media.iso” in a WM(VirtualBox) 3 times yesterday. The installation stops at "An error occurred during boot loader installation. Retry…? I tested both with btrf and ext4.

Ok it was just a test.

Regards

On Thu, 24 Jul 2014 09:36:01 GMT
jonte1 <jonte1@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

>
> I tried to install
> “openSUSE-Factory-DVD-x86_64-Snapshot20140721-Media.iso” in a
> WM(VirtualBox) 3 times yesterday. The installation stops at "An error
> occurred during boot loader installation. Retry…? I tested both with
> btrf and ext4.
>

My test on that iso didn’t even get that far as the partitioner page
just flashed briefly before going on to another section. It did this a
couple more times until I got to the section for installing software so
I baled out then before any damage was done. Media check and md5 were
both OK.

Graham P Davis, Bracknell, Berks.
openSUSE 13.1 (64-bit); KDE 4.13.3; AMD Phenom II X2 550 Processor;
Kernel: 3.11.10; Video: nVidia GeForce 210 (using nVidia driver);
Sound: ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)

The same for me with openSUSE-Factory-NET-x86_64-Snapshot20140721-Media.iso.
I was not able to finish installation in VirtualBox due to same problem.

You got further than I did.

My attempted install failed on trying to setup the repo on the install media.

It looks as if something is messing up the “/dev” directory. Apparently, the entry for the real DVD device is not affected, but lots of other things are affected. So I could not install using a USB. And that’s probably also what caused the partitioner to fail for you.

I’ll open a bug report shortly.

nrickert, -sorry that I don’t open a bug… I wouldn’t hesitater to do it in a MS release. Yes I’m a coward. I think that you have more influence on this level by all means:embarrassed:.

Regards

Reported as Bug 888802 - The “/dev” tree is being messed up early in the installer.

There’s no need to be afraid of filing a bug report. The worst that can happen, is that the report is closed and marked “invalid”.

Generally speaking, the main idea is to do a little investigation. If you can offer some evidence that helps narrow down the problem, then the opensuse team will appreciate the bug report.

In this particular case, I started an install.

On the first screen of the install, I used CTRL-ALT-F2 to get a text console. There, I mounted a local disk (for saving information). And I then did:

ls -ltra /dev/disk/by-id

The output looked to be about what I expected.

I then used CTRL-ALT-F7, to resume the install. When the error arose, I again used CTRL-ALT-F2, and again ran

ls -ltra /dev/disk/by-id

and this time it looked as if most of the device entries had been deleted. My bug report mainly consists of the output from those two commands.

If you click on “Details” near the attachment at the end of the bug report, you can see that output.