openSUSE 13.1(GNOME) codec problem mp4v mpga h264 mp4a

I have already installed it.
If I want to open an mkv file, totem search for codec, found gstreamer-plugins-libav and 3 versions of gstreamer-plugins-bad. If I want to install it (in fact it is already installed) it misses some dependencies.
Maybe I broke the system with something. I should try a clean install?
(It’s a shame that the packages in the “official” OSS and NON-OSS repo doesn’t work well with each other. I choose the non-oss part of the OS too while install the system and it installed gstreamer-plugins-bad, ugly and flash player etc. In this case everything should work out-of-the-box)

It misses dependencies? Then it’s no wonder that it doesn’t work. And PackageKit cannot handle dependency issues that well, too (and it apparently also has problems when more than one matching codec is found or multiple versions of the same codec).

Install it manually with YaST or zypper.
E.g.:

sudo zypper in -f gstreamer-plugins-libav

If there’s a conflict/dependency error post it.
I installed it just before writing my previous post and it worked without problems. So there can’t be a problem with the Packman repo either.

(It’s a shame that the packages in the “official” OSS and NON-OSS repo doesn’t work well with each other. I choose the non-oss part of the OS too while install the system and it installed gstreamer-plugins-bad, ugly and flash player etc. In this case everything should work out-of-the-box)

???
The non-oss repo only contains the fluendo mp3 codec for gstreamer, and this does work out of the box with the gstreamer from oss.

gstreamer-plugins-bad and ugly are in the standard oss repo and lack support for the non-free codecs of course.
You therefore need the versions from Packman.

Anf flash-player is something completely different anyway.

It changed nothing.
I already have installed gstreamer-plugins-libav-1.2.1-2.1 and gstreamer-plugins-bad-1.2.1-5.12, but totem don’t use it.
It search for update and found this two and two older version of gstreamer-plugins-bad. After install, it can’t resolve dependecies. Maybe He try to install all version of gstreamer-plugins-bad?

Sorry, I didn’t know that the non-oss repo only contain fluendo.
I come from Ubuntu and there when I check the third party software box, it installs all necessary codec, microsoft fonts and flash player etc.
I thought that on openSUSE install is working the same way.

As I wrote before, it works fine here. I specifically created a mkv/H264 file with ffmpeg to test.
Can you play that file with VLC? Maybe the file is damaged?

It search for update and found this two and two older version of gstreamer-plugins-bad.After install, it can’t resolve dependecies. Maybe He try to install all version of gstreamer-plugins-bad?

Who? Totem?
I already wrote in the last post that the gstreamer-PackageKit integration apparently has problems when more than one matching codec is found.
But if the necessary codecs are installed, it should not even search for one, but just play the video.

Maybe you have a mixture of gstreamer packages between the Oss repo and Packman?
Try to run:

sudo zypper dup --from Packman

to switch everything to the Packman versions. If your Packman repo has a different name then change the line accordingly. You can check with “zypper lr”.

In VLC is fine.

It just removed pipelight. Nothing changed.
I’ll do a clean install tomorrow.

Same here.
All gsteamer packages installed from packman repository but totem still cant play h264 files. VLC works fine.
Also all other videos work fine with totem, but every time totem complains about a missing plugin “GStreamer element videoconvert”.
If i just click cancel the video plays fine =/

Are you sure that you have all gstreamer packages installed?
The “videoconvert” plugin is contained in gstreamer-plugins-base.

If you do have that installed (don’t confuse it with gstreamer-0_10-plugins-base), maybe try to remove the directory ~/.gstreamer, maybe the plugin cache is corrupted…

Jup,
“gstreamer-plugins-base” is installed version 1.2.1-2.7 from the packman repository.
And i dont have a ~/.gstreamer folder, only a ~/.gstreamer-0.10 folder.

Sorry it should be ~/.cache/gstreamer-1.0/ … (the location has changed for gstreamer-1.0)
Remove that if it exists and then run “gst-inspect-1.0” (you may have to install “gstreamer-utils”). This should register all installed plugins.

Abd check that you have “gstreamer-plugins-bad-orig-addon” and “gstreamer-plugins-ugly-addon”, in addition to gstreamer-plugins-base/-good/-bad/-ugly installed…

I don’t know if it was because I deleted the folder or installed “gstreamer-utils” or because of running gst-inspect, but now it works. =) big THX
“gstreamer-plugins-bad-orig-addon” was already installed.
The thing that makes me wonder is, I’m on a fresh install.
I didn’t mess with anything (yet).

Well, I’m not really sure either.
But I guess installing gstreamer-utils fixed it, since gst-inspect-1.0 should create the cache and be called automatically AFAIK.

But I’ll have to verify this first. If that’s true, there should be a requirement on gstreamer-plugins-utils though.

Hm, apparently gstreamer-plugins-utils is not really needed.
I uninstalled it and deleted ~/.cache/gstreamer-1.0/ but totem still played my videos.
And freshly installed plugins were correctly recognized as well.

So I have no idea what happened on your system, sorry.

I have recently upgraded 12.3 to 13.1.

I tried the code: sudo zypper in vlc-codecs
Got below message…

Loading repository data…
Reading installed packages…
Resolving package dependencies…

Problem: nothing provides libx264.so.135 needed by vlc-codecs-2.1.2-186.3.i586
Solution 1: do not install vlc-codecs-2.1.2-186.3.i586
Solution 2: break vlc-codecs-2.1.2-186.3.i586 by ignoring some of its dependencies

Choose from above solutions by number or cancel [1/2/c] (c):

i choose option 2.

After that mp4 error has gone. but now am getting following erro.

VLC does not support the audio or video format “h264”. Unfortunately there is no way for you to fix this.

below is the out put for : rpm -qa | grep -i vlc
libvlccore7-2.1.0-1.1.i586
vlc-qt-2.1.0-1.1.i586
vlc-noX-lang-2.1.0-1.1.noarch
vlc-codecs-2.1.2-186.3.i586
vlc-2.1.0-1.1.i586
vlc-gnome-2.1.0-1.1.i586
vlc-noX-2.1.0-1.1.i586
libvlc5-2.1.0-1.1.i586

Please help me to sort out. Thanks in advance.

Noufal.

AFAICS libx264-135 is part of the 13.1 Packman repo also on i586. And this is of course needed for playing back “h264” videos.

What do you get if you do:

sudo zypper in libx264-135

And you still have VLC 2.1.0 from the standard OSS repo installed. They didn’t get upgraded because you chose tp ignore the dependency conflict I guess.
You should update all those packages to the 2.1.2 Packman versions.
In YaST select those packages one by one, click on “Versions” in the bottom-right, and switch them to the Packman version.

What do you get if you do:

sudo zypper in libx264-135

It got installed now.

And you still have VLC 2.1.0 from the standard OSS repo installed. They didn’t get upgraded because you chose tp ignore the dependency conflict I guess.
You should update all those packages to the 2.1.2 Packman versions.
In YaST select those packages one by one, click on “Versions” in the bottom-right, and switch them to the Packman version.[/QUOTE]

I have done above changes. Please see below the out put grep
rpm -qa | grep -i vlc
vlc-gnome-2.1.2-186.3.i586
vlc-codecs-2.1.2-186.3.i586
vlc-qt-2.1.2-186.3.i586
libvlccore7-2.1.2-186.3.i586
vlc-noX-2.1.2-186.3.i586
vlc-2.1.2-186.3.i586
libvlc5-2.1.2-186.3.i586
vlc-noX-lang-2.1.2-186.9.noarch

PS: am using 32 bit sue 13.1. vlc plays the sound, but no video and getting below error
VLC does not support the audio or video format “h264”. Unfortunately there is no way for you to fix this.

Noufal.

Noufal.

That looks ok now.

Maybe you have the VideoLAN repo as well? This could cause such a problem.
Please show the output of “zypper lr -d”.

Greetings, exactly the same problem. These dependencies are killing me. I use openSUSE 13.1 for 32-bit systems. Packman and libdvdcss repositories enabled along the base repos.

I have installed all the packages required for streaming videos, some of them changed the vendor when switching them to Packman (vlc, gstreamer, flashplayer). And all I have got is the missing plugin h.264:

When verifying the packages, I have the following output related to the missing dependencies:

Problem: nothing provides libdca.so.0 needed by gstreamer-plugins-bad-orig-addon-1.2.1-5.18.i586
Problem: nothing provides libx264.so.135 needed by vlc-codecs-2.1.2-186.3.i586

I would appreciate your help.

Well, I guess you’re out of luck right now. Apparently the Packman repo is broken currently (for 32bit at least).
See here:
https://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/alternative-distributions-based-opensuse/tumbleweed/493651-vlc-codec-problem-today.html#post2610366

You could try to tell zypper to ignore that missing dependencies though, but be sure to install those libraries (libdca0, libx264-135, and possibly others) none-the-less. They are all in the repo, no idea why zypper doesn’t find them… (maybe the repo metadata is corrupt?)

Somehow MPlayer started working (I installed some dependencies one by one). However, vlc and totem still requires some dependencies which are already installed…

It seems that the repos were fixed or I have installed some video editors and they brought some dependencies which started VLC and MPlayer. Can’t wait seeing totem working! :slight_smile: