OpenSUSE 13.1 and Vlan Capability

All new to me, I am trying to set up a managed switch. One question I would like answered:- is it possible to set up Vlan tagging on openSUSE 13.1 machine.

Yes the capability exists. I have done this in the past as part of my work to check vlan connectivity using ‘vconfig’ provided by the ‘vlan’ package. It can be done using ‘ip’ command too.

For example, suppose you wanted to connect accept to vlan ID 250 on interface ens1, then you could do

ip link add link ens1 name ens1.250 type vlan id 250

To view the interfaces

ip link

More complete info here.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/VLAN

Hi Deano,
Many thanks for the reply and link. Good to know. Before I go there with this machine however, I have to get my site architecture and managed switch sorted out and I am finding it hard going. Too many options and not enough experience on my part!!

At present I cannot get past first fence with the switch (Netgear M4100) because when I try and give it a management address on my private subnet I get error messages that there is a conflict with IP/Netmasks on the router. This is not correct unless it requires an out of band address and that is not what the book says. My problems are OT for this forum however but thanks again for the reply.
Regards,
Alastair.

I’ve been (still am) there, so I know the feeling! Nothing like being in at the deep end to learn though.

At present I cannot get past first fence with the switch (Netgear M4100) because when I try and give it a management address on my private subnet I get error messages that there is a conflict with IP/Netmasks on the router. This is not correct unless it requires an out of band address and that is not what the book says. My problems are OT for this forum however but thanks again for the reply.
Regards,
Alastair.

Check the support out here

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23562/~/cannot-access-a-new-m4100-series-switchs-user-interface-by-telnet-or-http

They have a good forum that I’m sure will make quick work of any issues you may have.

Hi Deano, many thanks for the link. I had posted on the Netgear forum but nobody yet has come up with an answer. I managed to achieve a connection through the terminal USB port and tried to set the address that way but strangely received the same error message even though there was no lan connection! I guess something stuck in a cache somewhere so will do a “clear config” using the same port.

This brings me to my next learning experience. With the help of various searches I managed to find the USB port connection and log into switch but cannot believe I did it correctly. I installed Yukake and minicom and by trial and error was able to set Baud rate etc and log in but I really didn’t know what I was doing. I found the port mounted at /dev/ttyUSB0 but what is correct procedure from there. Is there an idiots guide you can point me to?
Grateful for any help you can give.

It’s been a while since I had to use minicom for serial console access, (and it usually means something bad has happened with IP configuration). I usually just launch it with

minicom -s

and then set the baud rate, tty* device etc to suit the device being accessed. However, once I have a working connection, I the ‘Save setup as…’ eg ‘brocade’. This creates configuration file .minirc.brocade, which can be called up for future use.

Here’s my .minirc.brocade file for example

# Machine-generated file - use "minicom -s" to change parameters.
pu port             /dev/ttyUSB3
pu baudrate         9600
pu bits             8
pu parity           N
pu stopbits         1

I can call this configuration up with

minicom brocade

Hope that helps.

Hi Deano,
OK so far but once I have established baud rate etc and seved it, how do I actually go the the device to login and issue commands?

Are you getting a login prompt? IIRC, this can be missed if the configuration is not correct when first starting minicom. You may need to save the configuration and launch it again as I explained in my last post. I don’t have personal experience with the Netgear switch, so can’t advise specifically, but all you should need to know can be got from the CLI user manual

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/docs/m4100/enu/202-11161-01/cli.pdf

Now I am getting it. The prompt was missing but now I have it working.
There is clearly something odd happening because even with no ports connected to lan and my laptop off line as well, I cannot set a fixed IP for the switch on the same subnet as my gateway. The switch system rejects the addresses and re-sets to factory default. This default config has DHCP enabled so now I shall start over and see what address it is given by my DHCP server when I plug into lan on same subnet.
Regards and thanks again.
Budgie

Hi Deano,
Many thanks again for your encouragement and help. I think I should close this thread now as situation here is acceptable:

In spite of gaining terminal access the switch would not accept the “clear config” command which is required for a factory reset. I then tried the hard reset button again and this seemed to restore the factory default IP but as soon as I plugged the switch into the lan, the original address was restored but not shown on the control page. After a few more efforts with hard reset etc. I managed to enable DHCP and the device now has an address which is working and also shown correctly on the control page. I have no idea what has been happening, perhaps a cache not clearing or routing info being retained upstream. All a bit of an irritation for me as I much prefer fixed IPs for these devices but now at least I can get on to the more important and diffficult stuff.
Budgie